Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 06 Mar 2015 (Friday) 18:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

10 bit graphics card

KatManDEW
637 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 06, 2015 18:41 |  #1

I have a 10 bit wide gamut monitor. I use a Firepro 5100 graphics card. Are there any cards that would significantly improve performance with photography apps, like Lightroom and Canon DPP? My PC is a first generation Core i7 950 , 3.07 GHz, 24 GB memory.

My monitor is a NEC PA301 WSV. It requires connection via Displayport for 10 bit color. Is Displayport going to be around in the future? Does Thunderbolt do 10 bit color (with other 10 bit monitors)?

Moppie
14,749 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Mar 07, 2015 19:46 |  #2

Lightroom and Canons DPP make NO use of the GPU, so it really doens't matter what your graphics card is if performance is an issue.
Photoshop does make some, and it is a very limited some, use of the GPU, but even the most basic consumer card has more processing power than is needed.
If your doing anything in 3D, or video then things change and having the right GPU for the software your using is very important.

Displayport is the new standard and is replacing VGA and DVI, so it will be around for a long time.
Thunderbolt in theory passes displayport over the thunderbolt cable.
From what I could find from a quick google, whether that is 10bit or 8bit will depend on the GPU passing the signal through the thunderbolt connection.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
637 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 09, 2015 09:52 |  #3

Moppie wrote in post #17465213 (external link)
Lightroom and Canons DPP make NO use of the GPU, so it really doens't matter what your graphics card is if performance is an issue.
Photoshop does make some, and it is a very limited some, use of the GPU, but even the most basic consumer card has more processing power than is needed.
If your doing anything in 3D, or video then things change and having the right GPU for the software your using is very important.

Displayport is the new standard and is replacing VGA and DVI, so it will be around for a long time.
Thunderbolt in theory passes displayport over the thunderbolt cable.
From what I could find from a quick google, whether that is 10bit or 8bit will depend on the GPU passing the signal through the thunderbolt connection.

Thanks for the response. Now that you mention it, I think I do remember reading that Thunderbolt carries Displayport.

Lightroom 5 is frustratingly slow sometimes with my 7D2 and 5D3 files. Jumping back and forth between images for example, takes several seconds to fully render each image, which makes comparisons difficult.

I just reinstalled Windows 7 on a new SSD a year ago, and overall computer operation is relatively speedy.

RileyNZL
612 posts
Gallery: 121 photos
Joined Apr 2013

Mar 12, 2015 13:33 as a reply to  @ KatManDEW's post |  #4

Lightroom 6 is supposed to making use of your graphics card, but like Moppie said, you won't see much difference using a new graphics card. Displayport is the future and should eventually take over VGA and DVI, but its a slow process, look how long VGA has managed to hang on for.

Best way to speed up lightroom, if putting your cache on an SSD, and if you can afford it, the library on an SSD to. Theres a few settings you can use to optimise lightroom as well, check your preview sizes are appropriate for your monitor, and that your cache length is at least 30 days if you have the space.

Canon 1Dx |Canon 6D|Canon 24-70 F2.8 L MkII|Canon 16-35 F4 L|Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX OS|Canon 400mm f5.6 L|Sigma 50mm F1.4|Canon 600EX's|Gitzo Explorer Tripod|

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,622 views & 0 likes for this thread
10 bit graphics card
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.