Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
Thread started 11 Mar 2015 (Wednesday) 17:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What lens for 20ft x 14ft x 9ft studio or is studio to small

rickmar1905
200 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Mar 11, 2015 17:34 |  #1

is a 20ft x 14ft with 9ft high ceilings to small for full body portraits and group/family shots?
if not then what lens should i be looking at for my 70d?

heres a link to my original thread with more details, pictures and no comments :-(
https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=17468771

sponsored links
Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,264 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 12, 2015 11:58 |  #2

I am sure a lot of people will say the space is to small. But if it is what you have then there are ways to work with it. My studio is only 13' wide and has sloped ceilings starting at 8' at the walls. I do have a bit more room then 20' length wise but not a lot more.

I shoot 99% of all my photos with my 15-85. It works great in my studio. Just mount your backdrop as tight to the wall as you can. I don't know if you will be able to do much full length group shots but you should be fine with single people. Do you have anyone you could get to come stand out there and take some sample shots?

rickmar1905
THREAD ­ STARTER
200 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Mar 12, 2015 12:09 as a reply to  @ Littlejon Dsgn's post |  #3

The only photos i have right now are the ones in the link with a spirit level to mimic someone.

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,489 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 16, 2015 07:37 |  #4

My studio is a spare bedroom in my house, approximately 20x20x9, maybe 22x22x9. I can pull off full lengths of kids, but not adults as I pick up the top of my backdrop holder. The low ceilings kick a little extra light in most shots but I deal with it. The bigger issue I think you may run into is your light stands being on your back drop on the sides. That's one of those things I have to pay attention to. You might consider finding a solid way of mounting them to the walls on a swing bar or mounting them to the ceiling.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
5D4 / 35 F2 / 50L / 85 1.8

RMH
998 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by RMH. (3 edits in all)

Mar 16, 2015 13:13 |  #5

Those with low ceilings / small spaces and wanting to do full-length should look at the lastolite hilite.

I used to have one and I could shoot full-length in a 12x18 space (just about). I did however have 10 foot ceilings, which helped a lot.

Because it lights up from the inside you recapture a good 6 foot of your studio length-wise because ppl can stand against it without casting a shadow, and there's no issue with seeing the top of the background that way.

It's not suitable for everything, but if you're looking for a clean white background and very limited on space, it's certainly worth looking at

then it's just an issue of working out how to light people the way you want when you cant get a light modifier much more than ear-height ;)

All the stuff I've owned at one time or another

Gary ­ Wiant
Goldmember
1,008 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by Gary Wiant.

Mar 16, 2015 13:33 |  #6

I think your camera is causing as much of an issue in your studio as your limited space. Get either a 5D or 6D and something on the wider side even a 24-70 f4 or 24-105f4 if getting the ff breaks your budget you'll gain a bit of perceived length in your studio. I'm not sure about backdrop stands but the ff will help alot

Gary Wiant
1D mk IV - 1D mkIII - Eos- M - 70-200mm F2.8 IS Mk II - 24-105L f4 - 50 f1.4 - 100 2.8 Macro - M22mm - M18-55 - Canon Ef-Ef-s to M converter - 1.4x VIII & 2x VII extenders - 540EXII Flash, Flash Zebra SF-18 Ext. Battery Pack, Kenko Extension Tubes - Manfroto Macro Bracket - Lensalign Flickr (external link)

RMH
998 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by RMH. (3 edits in all)

Mar 16, 2015 13:57 |  #7

I see a big chunk of floor and ceiling in those photos. I'm not sure that you need a much wider lens / bigger sensor any than you already have bth -- you'll end up with a huge amount of ceiling in the shots.

What kind of shots are you doing anyway? Is a shadow on the BG ok with you? If so (or you're using a black background) and you can get your subjects pretty close to it then somewhere 24- 35mm is probably fine on your 70d.

All the stuff I've owned at one time or another

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,612 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 16, 2015 14:10 |  #8

i don't think the crop factor of the camera is an issue either, but i don't think you will be doing group shots, at least not easily, and full body will be tight too. your level is not far from your back wall, you will want a minimum of 6 feet to keep your subjects from casting a shadow on the background.

move the level 6 feet from the background and see what you think. my "studio" is about that size, but with lower ceilings and have the same issue with shadows when shooting adults.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

rickmar1905
THREAD ­ STARTER
200 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Mar 16, 2015 15:24 |  #9

Sorry i couldn't find a better model.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

rickmar1905
THREAD ­ STARTER
200 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Mar 16, 2015 15:25 |  #10

same ugly mug

HOSTED PHOTO

rickmar1905
THREAD ­ STARTER
200 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Mar 16, 2015 15:28 |  #11

2 more examples

HOSTED PHOTO

rickmar1905
THREAD ­ STARTER
200 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Mar 16, 2015 15:31 |  #12

I'm only thinking white or black backgrounds so to me i see no reason why 24mm and 3 people isn't ok, even if i have to use photoshop to add more white or black to make the background bigger, I'm guessing as long as i get proper white/black for the background it won't be to hard to sort????

rickmar1905
THREAD ­ STARTER
200 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Mar 16, 2015 15:34 |  #13

personally I'm thinking thats workable at 35mm for a full body shot but I'm new to all this so please advise.

If i decide not to go ahead with the photo studio then I'm going to invest more towards outdoor photography as i just did my first trial outdoor shoot and enjoyed it.

HOSTED PHOTO

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,876 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by DC Fan.

Mar 17, 2015 01:47 |  #14

rickmar1905 wrote in post #17470751 (external link)
is a 20ft x 14ft with 9ft high ceilings to small for full body portraits and group/family shots?
if not then what lens should i be looking at for my 70d?

heres a link to my original thread with more details, pictures and no comments :-(
https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=17468771

An area smaller than the size described was easily covered with the wide end of a Canon 18-200mm IS.
Examples:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1174.photobuck​et.com …0120a0389_zpsa4​6c727b.jpg (external link)
on photobucket

http://i1174.photobuck​et.com …0120a0417_zpscb​4505d7.jpg (external link)
on photobucket

http://i1174.photobuck​et.com …0120a0045_zps02​16c895.jpg (external link)
on photobucket

All you need is an ordinary, inexpensive Canon 18-55mm IS lens, nothing more expensive or elaborate.

Actually, 20ft x 14ft x 9ft is on the large size for a photo studio. That's a generous space that allows the positioning of boom-mounted lights to cover the most popular portrait patterns.

http://digital-photography-school.com …photographer-should-know/ (external link)

ksbal
Goldmember
2,417 posts
Gallery: 290 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 19, 2015 09:37 |  #15

Do you have all the lightstands/modifiers set up in these shots yet? That will be the other factor that will be a problem - they eat up floorspace and will limit your groups.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

sponsored links

6,010 views & 0 likes for this thread
What lens for 20ft x 14ft x 9ft studio or is studio to small
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.