Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
Thread started 14 Mar 2015 (Saturday) 11:28
Search threadPrev/next

Is this ethical?

fk6065
69 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 14, 2015 11:28 |  #1

Just looking for opinions here, as I have never had this one happen to me yet.

The other day I worked with a model who I have worked with in the past. She is new and just starting out but has a lot of potential.

She had paid me for the two previous shoots that I did for her. The other day I was trying out a new MUA and used this model for the test shoot. I didn't charge her for the session as she was helping me out. And the MUA was fantastic.

While we were shooting and chatting about how her modeling was going and she said a particular photographer in the area was hounding her to shoot. She said she would probably give in and shoot with him over the weekend.

Now I have my own opinion about the photographer but I don't believe in bad mouthing anyone so I kept my opinion to myself. Plus I really don't care who she or any other model I work with shoots with. It's there business, just like who I shoot with is my business.

Anyway I find out from another model that after she shot with me, she went directly to this other photographers studio and shot with him using the makeup job that I provided for her. I have no idea what compensation they arranged.

So I am just curious, am I being sensitive about her using my MUA and makeup from my shoot with another photographer? I don't know why this is bothering me at this point. Thanks.

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
2,484 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 14, 2015 11:39 |  #2

Is it right? Well, it was kind of messed up on the models part (if it's true). Would I go so far to say it's unethical? Probably not. You and her agreed on something. You did not agree to what she did after she left your studio. Think of it like getting a KILLER deal on a used car, then driving it down the street and trading it in for more than you paid for it. Is it messed up? You bet. Is it illegal or unethical? No.

I would just let this one go if I were you.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony ZV-1 || Sony a7RIV || Sony a9 || Sony FE 20mm f1.8 G || Sony FE 24-70 f2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55 f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f2.8 GM OSS || Sony FE 200-600 f5.6-6.3 G OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,972 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Mar 14, 2015 12:02 |  #3

Jarvis Creative Studios wrote in post #17474683 (external link)
I would just let this one go if I were you.

Yeah, not much you can do. I'd talk to her about it though... at least voice your opinion... and then write something into your contract specifically saying this is not allowed. What does your MUA think? They should be the ones to be pissed.

Getting better at this - Fuji X-t3 x2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 16 1.4 - 16-80 - 35/50/90 f2 - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 14, 2015 20:53 |  #4

If you don't want the model using your makeup then have her wash it off before leaving. Otherwise what she does when she leaves your shoot is up to her. It's smart business thinking on her part, she had a photographer wanting to test a MUA on her and another photographer wanting to shoot, why not schedule those back to back.

Would you be as upset if she went out clubbing afterwards using your makeup?

In my opinion your being overly sensitive.

ratempa
438 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 15, 2015 18:09 |  #5

If anyone should be upset it should be the MUA. It sounds like you might be regretting not charging the model, but that was your decision.

I agree in that it was clever of her to schedule your shoot first then the other, knowing that make up would be done. However I don't think it was wrong. She has to look out for herself.

Anyone who is just starting out (as a photographer) probably doesn't put too much though into make up. I personally shoot for a more natural look, so overly done make up is a no go for me. I usually explain that for the shoot and set up expectations. What I'm trying to say is that don't blame the other photographer either, he probably didn't plan it this way either.

FaceBook (external link)
500px (external link)
InstaGram (external link)

fk6065
THREAD ­ STARTER
69 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 15, 2015 21:27 as a reply to  @ ratempa's post |  #6

Just a stupid annoying thing.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 15, 2015 21:50 as a reply to  @ fk6065's post |  #7

If you plan to work with models you might as well get used to those stupid annoying things :)

fk6065
THREAD ­ STARTER
69 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 15, 2015 21:58 |  #8

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #17476722 (external link)
If you plan to work with models you might as well get used to those stupid annoying things :)

So true.

jock3
Goldmember
1,246 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 16, 2015 19:28 as a reply to  @ fk6065's post |  #9

Whilst I can see where you are coming from you got your session with her, what she does afterwards I think you have to accept is up to her

Most Canons currently - 1D(Mks 2&3&4), 7D gripped 50D gripped x2, 40Dgripped x2, 30Dgripped, 20D gripped, 350 gripped, 300. with L lenses

WEBSITES - http://knockhillimages​.smugmug.com/ (external link)
& http://aviationandmari​timeimages.smugmug.com​/ (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,774 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2004

Mar 17, 2015 12:49 |  #10

fk6065 wrote in post #17474667 (external link)
Just looking for opinions here, as I have never had this one happen to me yet.

The other day I worked with a model who I have worked with in the past. She is new and just starting out but has a lot of potential.

She had paid me for the two previous shoots that I did for her. The other day I was trying out a new MUA and used this model for the test shoot. I didn't charge her for the session as she was helping me out. And the MUA was fantastic.

While we were shooting and chatting about how her modeling was going and she said a particular photographer in the area was hounding her to shoot. She said she would probably give in and shoot with him over the weekend.

Now I have my own opinion about the photographer but I don't believe in bad mouthing anyone so I kept my opinion to myself. Plus I really don't care who she or any other model I work with shoots with. It's there business, just like who I shoot with is my business.

Anyway I find out from another model that after she shot with me, she went directly to this other photographers studio and shot with him using the makeup job that I provided for her. I have no idea what compensation they arranged.

So I am just curious, am I being sensitive about her using my MUA and makeup from my shoot with another photographer? I don't know why this is bothering me at this point. Thanks.

I don't see that you paid for the MUA, which is the only reason there might be for you to be annoyed by the situation.

I also don't see a reason why she had to bring up the other photographer and play coy with you about him--clearly they already had that session planned. But that's her hangup.

The only thing I'd take from the situation (if it were me) would be not to bet money on any of her lottery tips.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

DoughnutPhoto
513 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2014

Mar 17, 2015 14:16 |  #11

Is it ethical...

You made an agreement with her to do a shoot and try a MUA. Presumably, you got what you wanted out of the shoot. The MUA got what (s)he wanted out of the shoot, probably a couple of shots for the portfolio. And the model was happy too with the shoot and the fact that she got a free shoot.

If the model was paid for the other shoot AND her make up that your MUA provided helped increase her wages, then it would be unethical as she would have made money out of you.

If I were the MUA I would like some of the results of the other shoot - presuming the model didn't touch up her make up at all. That's only fair.

Lets put this the other way round. If a model helped you develop a killer moodboard, and after a very succesfull shoot would you have any reservations taking that moodboard, change a thing or two and shoot with a different model?

Canon 5d, 60d, 17-40mm L, 30mm Art, 50mm, 85mm

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 18, 2015 12:32 as a reply to  @ Littlejon Dsgn's post |  #12

Have her wash it off!!!

What a great line as it applies so well to the situation. What she did was wrong but it wasnt that serious. You should definitely talk to the model about this and let her know how you & MUA feel.

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 18, 2015 12:33 |  #13

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #17476722 (external link)

fk6065 wrote in post #17476735 (external link)
So true.

Uhmmmm....its good to be a landscape photographer ;)

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 18, 2015 13:23 as a reply to  @ dkizzle's post |  #14

I have the best of both worlds, I get to travel and shoot landscapes but when I am home I get to shoot "models" as well :lol: I have a great wife (but thats for another topic). Whats great is when you find a great landscape and a great "model" and you combine the two. Now that's Art

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 18, 2015 13:38 as a reply to  @ Littlejon Dsgn's post |  #15

I referred a "model" photographer from POTN to my landscape photography mentor and he went with him on one of his tours. POTN photographer suggested that they do model + landscape tour together. True to the industry he flaked out over time and never heard from again.

Its funny cuz its true ;) but I am glad you got your groove on.

18,008 views & 11 likes for this thread
Is this ethical?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.