Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 17 Mar 2015 (Tuesday) 11:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Total of LIKES on Facebook - Shrunk

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,055 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 17, 2015 11:14 |  #1

Did your total of LIKES on Facebook shrunk recently? I notice a different today and I don't think that I got un-liked but reduction by Facebook. Good thing that it is not too much.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

sponsored links
KurtB
204 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 17, 2015 12:30 |  #2

Facebook periodically purges "likes" from pages based on an algorithm that is supposed to clean out the "fake" accounts.

I saw some speculation on the details, but I think it boiled down to people that have "liked" your page but then had no further interaction with your page (comments, liking posts, etc.) were at a higher risk of being "unliked" from your page as Facebook suspects them to be created simply to boost your "like" count.

30D w/ grip, 7Dmk2, Tokina 12-24 f/4, Canon EF-S 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 70-200 f/4L IS, 430EX, 190xb, 680b, lots of little stuff, & almost enough brains to be considered dangerous :confused:

jsecordphoto
In disbelief of how amazing I am
257 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Mar 17, 2015 12:50 |  #3

I lost like 40 likes, no biggie. Some people I know with a bigger fan base (100k+ likes) lost like 1k

Nikon D750, Nikon 50 f1.8, Tokina 16-28 f2.8, Tamron 150-600
www.jsecordphoto.com (external link)

KurtB
204 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 17, 2015 12:53 as a reply to  @ jsecordphoto's post |  #4

I think Facebook said it would be 1% or less each time they did the purge.

30D w/ grip, 7Dmk2, Tokina 12-24 f/4, Canon EF-S 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 70-200 f/4L IS, 430EX, 190xb, 680b, lots of little stuff, & almost enough brains to be considered dangerous :confused:

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,472 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 17, 2015 13:02 |  #5

I lost 0.5% of mine, no big deal.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

KurtB
204 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 17, 2015 13:08 as a reply to  @ nathancarter's post |  #6

I lost some from one of the pages that I manage as well. Oh well. At least I haven't spent any money on Facebook trying to get people to like my page to then have Facebook remove those likes.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,061 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 17, 2015 13:38 |  #7

"Likes" are a fairly poor value to judge a page's success or value by as it is. It is more the engagement with a page's content that you should be interested in. If you have 1,000,000 users who 'like' your page, but only 100 of them ever come back to look at content again, then that isn't nearly as useful to you as having just 1000 likes and having 900 people consistently looking at what you are posting.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Mar 17, 2015 13:41 |  #8

Yup, fb just recently removed all of the inactive accounts. We just lost 300+ from our business page.

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,066 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 17, 2015 17:00 |  #9

BlakeC wrote in post #17479184 (external link)
Yup, fb just recently removed all of the inactive accounts.

Hmmmmmm. I have a facebook account, but I almost never post anything there. I think it may have been a year or more since I last posted anything to my facebook page. Might I be in "danger" of having my Facebook account deleted due to inactivity?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

KurtB
204 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 17, 2015 17:01 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #10

Nope. But any organizations, companies, etc. that you have "liked" may see you removed from their counter.

Tigerkn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,055 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 17, 2015 17:50 as a reply to  @ Luckless's post |  #11

Very good point and I agree. Though a more Likes page (i.e. 350) may gain a little more trust from the new Viewer than a less Likes page (i.e. 40).

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 17, 2015 20:43 |  #12

If I can derail just a bit, I have a question. I'm approaching 50, and I just don't get it. Facebook, twitter, and the others. Maybe I'm becoming an old fuddy-duddy, but who cares about likes, etc.?Are they valuable in real world dollars? Or are they superficial ego-boosters? Like Tom, I have a fb that I don't do a thing with. I just don't see the point to 'social media'. -?

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

Luckless
Goldmember
3,061 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 17, 2015 21:06 |  #13

KirkS518 wrote in post #17479657 (external link)
If I can derail just a bit, I have a question. I'm approaching 50, and I just don't get it. Facebook, twitter, and the others. Maybe I'm becoming an old fuddy-duddy, but who cares about likes, etc.?Are they valuable in real world dollars? Or are they superficial ego-boosters? Like Tom, I have a fb that I don't do a thing with. I just don't see the point to 'social media'. -?

Is there value to having potential customers know your name? Which photographer do you think would do more business 50 years ago? The one with a shop and sign somewhere down town with lots of traffic, and a sizable gallery on display, or the one working out of the basement of their farmhouse 2 hours out of town, with no sign, and never displaying anything outside of their home?

The key is to care about customers and who is actively looking at your work. Someone clicking 'like' and walking away to never look at your stuff again is pretty much worthless. However, one who reads nearly every post you make to your page, and often sharing your link with their friends is potentially valuable. You can't sell a product to people who don't know your product exists after all.

I've never bought something based on an ad that showed up on a website. I have however spent thousands of dollars on things over the years based on people telling me they enjoyed the food at a given restaurant, liked a given product, or have been given great customer support from a company. If a company has to tell you how amazing they are, then they're probably not. I'll trust the opinion of someone without a vested interest in things over a company trying to part me from my money.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Mar 18, 2015 08:04 |  #14

It is VERY valuable. 70% of all website referral traffic now goes through facebook! People who like your page are more likely to like your posts, and when they like your post, their friends see it, then they like it and the cycle continues and your potential amount of customers grows! I create a facebook album on my page for all of my clients and encourage them to tag themselves, share the album, and use those photos for profile pics. I get quite a bit of business through this process. I also run facebook ads that target my followers and their friends within a 24 mile radius of me. I also target only women. 95% of people who interact with my page are women, so I just cut out the men since they are less likely to care.

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,472 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 18, 2015 09:20 |  #15

If your potential customers use social media, it's possible to use social media to put your product or service in front of them.
If your existing customers use social media, they might use it to tell their friends (potential customers) about your service.

If your potential customers don't use social media, or if you're already doing all the effective advertising that you need, then don't worry about it.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

sponsored links

2,363 views & 3 likes for this thread
Total of LIKES on Facebook - Shrunk
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.