Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 30 Mar 2015 (Monday) 07:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

"Photographers Reportedly Harassed and Detained by Mob"

this thread is locked
magoosmc
980 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 30, 2015 07:52 |  #1

http://petapixel.com …ssed-and-detained-by-mob/ (external link)

http://www.americanpho​tomag.com …graphers-looking-out-town (external link)

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/22055591@N05/a​lbums (external link)

sponsored links
gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 30, 2015 13:07 |  #2

There are always three sides to a story. But at first glance I would say the photog should be looking at legal action against the people who detained her (if it can be proved they were detained) and the police department for not allowing charges to be filed against the people detaining them (again, if there is evidence they were detained)

Fact is most people don't understand the legal rights of photographers, hell even more police don't. People acting stupid, threading, and illegally detaining someone under the guise of being a "concerned parent" does not make their actions any less illegal.

monkey44
726 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Mar 30, 2015 14:14 as a reply to  @ gremlin75's post |  #3

This entire issue says more about what our society has become than it does photographer or parent right or fears -- we don't know the whole story from both sides, so it usually runs somewhere in the middle of each party...

But the issue that parents are so frightened about the kids says volumes about our social structure today, and the fears inherent in the way we interact with one another as professionals and as parents.

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,168 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited over 4 years ago by Picture North Carolina.

Mar 31, 2015 06:54 |  #4

Good.

The elitist mentality of street photographers more than defines the meaning of arrogance: "Hey! It's a public place I can take pictures of anybody I want!"

But opposite that is a response just as strong: "I don't want my picture taken, and I have a right not to have my picture taken." *

Each belief is as valid as the other.

If you're taking pictures of people who do not what their pictures taken, be prepared to be confronted because of it. Don't want to suffer that confrontation? Simple enough. Don't take pictures of people who do not want their picture taken.

In this case, the suspicion was they were taking pictures of children. Even worse. Only those who are truly ignorant do not understand why, and how strongly, a parent would protect their child.

(* - This is usually followed by the typical "Hey, dude! You're in a public place. If you don't want your picture taken, don't go out in public..." blah, blah, blah which only emphasizes the insufferable arrogance and ignorance of street photographers)

Website (external link) |

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
2,470 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Mar 31, 2015 07:17 |  #5

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #17499076 (external link)
Good.

Seriously? I get that you don't appreciate street photography, and I'll not argue with your opinion on that. But, assuming the facts as presented, the townspeople unlawfully detained the photographers, and one menaced/threatened them by referencing a gun. I don't call that good.

I'll be leaving this thread now, because it's sure to spiral out of control.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Mar 31, 2015 07:52 |  #6

Good.

The elitist mentality of street photographers more than defines the meaning of arrogance: "Hey! It's a public place I can take pictures of anybody I want!"

But opposite that is a response just as strong: "I don't want my picture taken, and I have a right not to have my picture taken." *

If you're taking pictures of people who do not what their pictures taken, be prepared to be confronted because of it. Don't want to suffer that confrontation? Simple enough. Don't take pictures of people who do not want their picture taken.

In this case, the suspicion was they were taking pictures of children. Even worse. Only those who are truly ignorant do not understand why, and how strongly, a parent would protect their child.

(* - This is usually followed by the typical "Hey, dude! You're in a public place. If you don't want your picture taken, don't go out in public..." blah, blah, blah which only emphasizes the insufferable arrogance and ignorance of street photographers)

Except they were taking pictures of people who were okay with it. The people who freaked out were across the street and they had no photos of those people.

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,362 posts
Gallery: 212 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 31, 2015 08:23 |  #7

I have no great love for street photography, but:

Correct, arrogant or not.

But opposite that is a response just as strong: "I don't want my picture taken, and I have a right not to have my picture taken."

Actually, you don't.

Not according to the law. You can also have the "belief" that it's your right to shoot people in the head. What you believe is irrelevant.

True dat

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

advaitin
Goldmember
4,620 posts
Gallery: 432 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Mar 31, 2015 08:24 |  #8

Had something like that happen to me while in Tenerife. Off a cruise ship and saw a pickup football (soccer) game in a public square. Kids were really in to it and I got some nice action shots with good expressions. It was happening next to a outdoor cafe where the wife and I were eating. In the meantime a British woman came along and asked a girl of about 11 or so to come over to the side where she posed her for several snaps sitting and standing, fascinated I suspect, by the girls looks. I have no idea what she was after but it seemed innocent enough. Not regular street photography, however, no spontaneity.
After we finished eating and we are just watching the kids play while drinking a coffee, a local lady comes around the corner steaming. She accosted me, wanting to know what I was photographing. My camera being obvious, she must have though I was the one who had shot the girl. I showed her my shots, but she still was mad and went off about photography without permission. I had to just leave to get rid of her. Others in the cafe did not get involved, so no interference with our leaving.
As it turned out, the European Union had just passed a personal privacy law giving people more rights to their own image, making street photography way more difficult. I ran into an attitude at least once every trip over three years over "I have me rights to me own image"--as one British fellow told me.

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

advaitin
Goldmember
4,620 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Mar 31, 2015 08:30 as a reply to  @ BlakeC's post |  #9

Interesting avatar. It reminds me of this:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Mar 31, 2015 08:30 |  #10

Don't know the REAL story but I feel like if you don't want them taking your photo, just ask them not to. And if someone asks you not to take their photo, then don't. I don't see why it has to be such a big deal. But I do see how it could be difficult to take candids if you are asking permission or notifying them BEFORE you take the photo. Seems like a fine line you have to walk being a street photographer.

Blake C
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Mar 31, 2015 08:32 |  #11

advaitin wrote in post #17499158 (external link)
Interesting avatar. It reminds me of this:

lol wow. It does! What is that?
I designed this logo in 4th grade and won 1st place in the county fair. Not sure I like it a ton but it's got sentimental value. I've been meaning to work it into a new design to update it while still keeping it somewhat original.

Blake C

advaitin
Goldmember
4,620 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Mar 31, 2015 08:36 as a reply to  @ BlakeC's post |  #12

Stylized Sanskrit. It is the word "OM" somewhat akin to "I AM" and a symbol of religious purpose in Hinduism, Sikhism and some forms of Buddhism.

koala ­ yummies
736 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Oct 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by koala yummies. (2 edits in all)

Mar 31, 2015 10:23 |  #13

If the writer of the AmericanPhotoMag article is going to try to inform about what is legal or not to photograph then they need to correct this statement:

"In the United States, it is not unlawful to photograph children in public, or anything for that matter open to public view as long as it can be seen without the aid of a telephoto lens."

With that statement anyone who reads it may go after someone for photographing in their general direction with a long lens.

The safest blanket statement is that anyone can photograph anything they want from public property.

And even that isn't as broad as the law often allows (the case of the NY photographer, photographing from a private property high-rise who photographed into other people's apartment windows with a super-telephoto lens and displayed them in a gallery, was sued, photographer won, no assumption of privacy with the blinds open).

flickr (external link)

digirebelva
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Gallery: 370 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 31, 2015 10:34 |  #14

koala yummies wrote in post #17499264 (external link)
The safest blanket statement is that anyone can photograph anything they want from public property.

That's not a true statement either..it doesn't apply to certain govt buildings/installation​s, people who have an expectation of privacy
i.e. inside a private establishment etc...

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

koala ­ yummies
736 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 31, 2015 10:35 |  #15

digirebelva wrote in post #17499274 (external link)
That's not a true statement either..it doesn't apply to certain govt buildings/installation​s, people who have an expectation of privacy
i.e. inside a private establishment etc...

There's no reasonable expectation of privacy in public. What government buildings can't be photographed from public property?

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

9,229 views & 2 likes for this thread
"Photographers Reportedly Harassed and Detained by Mob"
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.