Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 30 Mar 2015 (Monday) 07:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

"Photographers Reportedly Harassed and Detained by Mob"

this thread is locked
MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by MOkoFOko.

Apr 07, 2015 21:23 |  #46

Road Dog wrote in post #17508653 (external link)
Legality and decency are, often, too far removed from each other.

If someone were taking photos of my child, I would ask them not to. If that person persisted, I would do what was necessary to ensure that the photographer was unable to continue, and which would likely make him wish he'd simply agreed to stop shooting in the first place.

If that resulted in me having to deal with the authorities and legal ramifications related to my actions, so be it; wouldn't be the first time.

That photographer would, however, most definitely stop shooting.

Can't say I'd disagree with that line of thinking, but that's quite the leap to go straight from "asking nicely" to using violence. Obviously you can do other things first, like making the case that you'll get the cops involved, or obstruct the photographers line of view. If they're actually doing anything questionable, they're not going to be interested in starting a confrontation. Violence really should be the last resort--even moreso when you consider that many photographers are carrying firearms, knives, etc. for protection.

I've had people get belligerent with me just because I took photos of a crowd at a large event, and they happened to walk into the frame. If people start getting physical with me--whether they think they're in the right or not--I'm going to defend myself to the best of my ability, and that can include the use of legal weapons. I really cannot imagine ANY situation where it should be worth having someone end up in the hospital or jail over a picture.

My Gearlist

sponsored links
PeteD
Goldmember
2,953 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by PeteD. (2 edits in all)

Apr 07, 2015 22:12 |  #47

So is common sense. Yes you can ask someone not to do something. But if they are not breaking the law , you can not do anything about it but call the cops, or leave. Or, face the consequences yourself

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy it!!
52weeks completed (external link)
My 365 thread on the Camel (external link)
P & A Photos Flickr (external link)
P & A Photos Photobucket (external link)

Road ­ Dog
Goldmember
1,328 posts
Gallery: 172 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2014

Apr 07, 2015 23:01 |  #48

MOkoFOko wrote in post #17508678 (external link)
Can't say I'd disagree with that line of thinking, but that's quite the leap to go straight from "asking nicely" to using violence.

True, but I don't have time to waste. I'll ask politely. Once. Then I'll tell the photographer. Once. Then I step it up a bit. I don't care if a photographer has a legal right to shoot photos of my kid. I really, really don't.

Violence really should be the last resort--even moreso when you consider that many photographers are carrying firearms, knives, etc. for protection.

So do many fathers.

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

Road ­ Dog
Goldmember
1,328 posts
Gallery: 172 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Apr 07, 2015 23:02 |  #49

PeteD wrote in post #17508723 (external link)
So is common sense. Yes you can ask someone not to do something. But if they are not breaking the law , you can not do anything about it but call the cops, or leave. Or, face the consequences yourself

And, if you read my post again, I think I make it rather clear that I would be prepared to do exactly that.

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

Luxx
478 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 07, 2015 23:26 |  #50

Of course instead of violence you could just leave the area.
I'm not sure it is a great idea to start anything in Florida since the other person can immediately shoot you without fear of prosecution...stand your ground and all.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by Left Handed Brisket. (2 edits in all)

Apr 07, 2015 23:36 |  #51

right now i have a pistol, 3 shotguns and two rifles within arms reach, none loaded. Guns don't scare me, but dumbasses do.

the very thought that one would feel the need to brandish a firearm in response to someone taking a PHOTOGRAPH smacks of ignorance and fear. It's disgusting and it is evidence of how media and government seeks (and to an extent has succeeded) to divide the people against themselves in order to garner favor of their chosen constituents. The more we fight amongst ourselves the less likely we are to fight the powers that be.

Apologies to the mods if this is too political, i have been registered independent since i was 18. A long time. :D Delete it if you need to draw a line, i understand.

it's not intended to be political or casting stones against any individual in this thread. And it's not a reversal of my prior posts, it's a continuation. We must as a species regain some respect for our neighbors.

again, apologies if this is seen as out of line. listening to this when i clicked this thread might have put me out of sorts.

cheers.

“Pancho And Lefty”

Living on the road my friend,
Is gonna keep you free and clean.
Now you wear your skin like iron,
And your breath’s as hard as kerosene.
You weren’t your mama’s only boy,
But her favorite one it seems.
She began to cry when you said goodbye,
And sank into your dreams.

Pancho was a bandit boys,
His horse was fast as polished steel,
He wore his gun outside his pants,
For all the honest world to feel.
Pancho met his match you know
On the deserts down in Mexico,
And nobody heard his dying words.
Ah, but that’s the way it goes.

And all the Federales say,
They could have had him any day.
They only let him hang around,
Out of kindness, I suppose.

Lefty, he can’t sing the blues
All night long like he used to.
The dust that Pancho bit down south
Ended up in Lefty’s mouth.
The day they laid poor Pancho low,
Lefty split for Ohio
Where he got the bread to go,
There ain’t nobody knows.

And all the Federales say,
They only let him slip away,

Well the poets tell how Pancho fell,
And Lefty’s living in a cheap hotel.
The desert’s quiet and Cleveland’s cold,
And so the story ends we’re told.
Pancho needs your prayers it’s true,
But save a few for Lefty too.
He just did what he had to do,
And now he’s growing old.

And a few grey Federales say
They only let go so wrong,

A few gray Federales say
They only let him so wrong,

lyrics and bit about the song: http://www.americanson​gwriter.com …n-zandt-pancho-and-lefty/ (external link)

edit: for anyone that read that bit, my take is different on how Pancho died. :D

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 07, 2015 23:49 |  #52

Road Dog wrote in post #17508760 (external link)
True, but I don't have time to waste. I'll ask politely. Once. Then I'll tell the photographer. Once. Then I step it up a bit. I don't care if a photographer has a legal right to shoot photos of my kid. I really, really don't.

So do many fathers.

I think I know where this leads :D

My Gearlist

Yno
862 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 08, 2015 08:33 as a reply to  @ Road Dog's post |  #53

It would be hard to 'protect' your kids the next time if you are in jail - or dead.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
www.imawino.com (external link)

Intheswamp
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 08, 2015 09:09 |  #54

MattPharmD wrote in post #17499278 (external link)

I am a parent of two young children. I understand the urge to protect them at all costs. However, there is a problem when parents perceive danger where there is no danger. ...

But there can be a much bigger problem when parents don't perceive danger where there is danger. I personally will err on the side of caution and insure the safety of my grandchildren or any other children within my care...I will not err on the side of the pervs or potential pervs (not saying street photographers are pervs).

If someone were taking photos of my child, I would ask them not to. If that person persisted, I would do what was necessary to ensure that the photographer was unable to continue, and which would likely make him wish he'd simply agreed to stop shooting in the first place.

If that resulted in me having to deal with the authorities and legal ramifications related to my actions, so be it; wouldn't be the first time.

That photographer would, however, most definitely stop shooting.

Well stated, RD...sounds like good ol' southern hospitality to me.

If a photographer is a half-decent person he or she will understand and respect the wishes of a child's guardian (whether a parent or not) and cease his or her activities...they will not be confrontational and argue that their "rights" are more important than the parent's or guardian's concerns for a child's safety. With an understanding attitude the photographer could possibly gain access to even better shoots....being argumentative, though, will insure the photographer has hit pretty much a dead-end.

A photographer that refuses to cease photographing a child after being asked *the first time* by a parent or guardian may be completely (and most likely) innocent of being a child molester or pervert but definitely qualifies him or her as a disrespectful "jerk". Respect is a two-way street. Where innocent defenseless children are involved *someone* has to step up and defend them...if that person cramps an adult's desires, well,...so be it.

As for the bill in Arkansas...didn't the linked thread include a post where the governor there vetoed it?

Best wishes,
Ed

www.beeweather.com (external link)

peeaanuut
Goldmember
3,555 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 08, 2015 09:15 |  #55

When I am out shooting and someone asks me to delete a photo I generally do if they are within frame AND are the majority of people in the photo. One of 2 people in the pic, sure Ill delete. One of 100 people in the pic, not going to delete. I am not shooting for a job most of the time so if I dont get the shot oh well, im not going to lose money just some ooohs and aaaaahs on the internet. If I am out shooting for a job I would need their permission either way. I understand the whole stand up for your rights, but really this issue just angers people and angry people dont get anything done correctly.

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/ (external link) : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotos (external link) : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotos (external link)
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 10, 2015 15:51 |  #56

Intheswamp wrote in post #17509112 (external link)
A photographer that refuses to cease photographing a child after being asked *the first time* by a parent or guardian may be completely (and most likely) innocent of being a child molester or pervert but definitely qualifies him or her as a disrespectful "jerk". Respect is a two-way street. Where innocent defenseless children are involved *someone* has to step up and defend them...if that person cramps an adult's desires, well,...so be it.

I've been down at a local park (Not a playground, but general waterfront/green space) doing macro photography, photographing birds, and even setting up for night scape and astrophotography, and have had people harass me for photographing something I'm not.

Am I supposed to pack up and leave because some paranoid fool wants to stick their nose in my business?

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

peeaanuut
Goldmember
3,555 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 10, 2015 15:58 |  #57

In that situation its time to just have a basic conversation with them. let them rant and rave and look like the jackass but simply show em, hey, check out the flowers Im shooting or stick around and check out the stars, etc. keep it calm and simple. Just like those videos I see of photographers being harrased by cops and most of the time if they just calmly talked about what they were doing instead of getting all defensive right off the top the situation would be so much better. have had cops come up to me even angrily but I have just had a calm conversation with them and explained what i was doing. I know its not illegal and if you get super defensive first thing they think there is something more to you than what really is.

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/ (external link) : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotos (external link) : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotos (external link)
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,130 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 10, 2015 16:17 |  #58

Not sure how this thread devolved into a pissing match that includes a member of a PHOTOGRAPHY forum threatening to kill people for TAKING PHOTOS???

....but it ends here.

“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links

9,227 views & 2 likes for this thread
"Photographers Reportedly Harassed and Detained by Mob"
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.