Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 30 Mar 2015 (Monday) 22:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,288 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 31, 2019 04:50 |  #3616

Gregsiem wrote in post #18837704 (external link)
... So for those who still have the original firmware, you need the dock to get the standard OS working properly, or for those who did upgrade, you need the dock in order to get back to factory default.

Ironic indeed.
Catch 22.

I will certainly try the next Dynamic OS, but if I recall correctly, the previous Dynamic could have been improved (on my Canons) as it was a tiny bit jumpy. The newest Standard is better than the previous Dynamic IMO. Some irony yes, but you can still potentially come out better.

Will immaculens.com (external link)

7Dmk II gripped | 5Dc | 100-400L IS II | 55-250 IS STM | 100L f/2.8 IS Macro | 15-85 IS | 50 f/1.8 STM | 10-18 IS STM
Learn to love to do well, and you shall. ~ C. Poseidon

sponsored links
the ­ black ­ fox
Goldmember
1,456 posts
Gallery: 1113 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 31, 2019 05:48 |  #3617

just done the update on my lens , and as previously stated it looks like it could be a canon issue . my firmware update is working fine with NONE of the problems that the canon users are reporting got it on dynamic o.s on C1 and C2 with no jumping about issues at all , will take it out later for a thorough test . but I cant envision any problems .

camera nikon d7200 with 150-600 C lens

my gut feeling tells me that canon may have installed some jiggery pokery in the bodies firmware to do this and drive you back to canon lenses , i.e the way they disabled shutter count checking on recent bodies ?????

changed systems to MFT olympus omd1-mkii with ver 3.4 firmware , Olympus 100-400 zuiko ...mc-14 tc ..,samyang 7.5mm fisheye , 7 artisans 60mm f2.8 macro, xiaoyi 42.5mm f1.8 . olympus ep.l7 + 14-42mm ez

Gregsiem
Goldmember
1,498 posts
Gallery: 101 photos
Joined May 2008

Mar 31, 2019 06:12 |  #3618

the black fox wrote in post #18837844 (external link)
my gut feeling tells me that canon may have installed some jiggery pokery in the bodies firmware to do this and drive you back to canon lenses , i.e the way they disabled shutter count checking on recent bodies ?????

I don’t believe that would be the case. There have been no Canon firmware updates (to the 7D II) recently to cause this. This one is firmly in Sigma’s court).

katodog
Goldmember
4,193 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 31, 2019 08:06 |  #3619

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7854/47442842902_3bd552fbbe_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2fhm​Yj3  (external link) March 29 2019 005 (external link) by Edward Durbin (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7835/47442842232_9b9a265944_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2fhm​Y7u  (external link) March 29 2019 007 (external link) by Edward Durbin (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7897/46583666055_d2d9811e66_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2dYr​sY8  (external link) March 29 2019 009 (external link) by Edward Durbin (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7923/46583708385_e090898a8b_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2dYr​FxX  (external link) March 29 2019 013 (external link) by Edward Durbin (external link), on Flickr

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked - Photographers shoot to thrill, not to kill
My Gear- Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link) - Smoke Photography - - Sound-Activated Paint

the ­ black ­ fox
Goldmember
1,456 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 31, 2019 12:38 |  #3620

couple of quick b.i.f test shots after lens update . TBH it seems quicker and more accurate but I do really need a full day out in better weather

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

changed systems to MFT olympus omd1-mkii with ver 3.4 firmware , Olympus 100-400 zuiko ...mc-14 tc ..,samyang 7.5mm fisheye , 7 artisans 60mm f2.8 macro, xiaoyi 42.5mm f1.8 . olympus ep.l7 + 14-42mm ez

bsiegler
346 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 31, 2019 20:37 |  #3621

Can you give more explanation of the firmware issue? I've had my C version for quite awhile now. When I'm on a tripod and have OS turned on I see shake in view finder. I have Dynamic enabled since day 1 using the dock. What is the firmware version number? Should I not see shake with OS turned on? I thought you weren't supposed to use while on tripod? Thanks!

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,172 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 31, 2019 23:07 |  #3622

the black fox wrote in post #18838006 (external link)
couple of quick b.i.f test shots after lens update . TBH it seems quicker and more accurate but I do really need a full day out in better weather
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by the black fox in
./showthread.php?p=188​38006&i=i47729730
forum: Lens Sample Photo Archive

Gotta say I really like this one.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Martin.D
Goldmember
2,460 posts
Gallery: 150 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 01, 2019 04:55 |  #3623

Gregsiem wrote in post #18837704 (external link)
The reason I bought the dock in the first place was to change it to Dynamic OS and do firmware updates. Now I need the dock to change it back to factory default standard settings.

So for those who still have the original firmware, you need the dock to get the standard OS working properly, or for those who did upgrade, you need the dock in order to get back to factory default.

I believe the lens has to be sent back to Sigma to roll back the software, it can't be done via the dock. "So I have been told by Sigma".

here's a couple from this weekend..

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Web Site (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Instagram (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Canon 5D Mark IV + Canon 90D + Glass

the ­ black ­ fox
Goldmember
1,456 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 01, 2019 05:18 |  #3624

lets try to simplify things , as there only seems to be a few people affected .. and pressurising sigma to make changes to help them might then affect the thousands of others that are happy with the upgrade .. its fairly obvious that there has not been a earth shattering uproar about there being something wrong as this has been posted on both here and a u.k based large forum .

so as far as I can make out it seems to affect some 7dii bodies and some 5div bodies ... any others

and can you also verify the age of the affected lenses i.e within the 3 year warranty or older in case that has something to do with it ..

perhaps the update is throwing up a service issue with some older lenses ??

the ­ black ­ fox
Goldmember
1,456 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 01, 2019 05:38 |  #3625

another two test shots from yesterday after the update , weather conditions light grey overcast . I cant in all honesty see any problems at all with these or indeed the whole burst . the lens seems to lock on a bit quicker and the shots if anything for b.i.f seem to be a tad sharper all shots handheld btw I rarely use assistance for b.i.f .. also lets put this in context I,m no spring chicken myself at 73years its a effort lifting the lens at times .. or put it the other way its working for me

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Gregsiem
Goldmember
1,498 posts
Gallery: 101 photos
Joined May 2008

Apr 01, 2019 06:02 |  #3626

the black fox wrote in post #18838384 (external link)
lets try to simplify things , as there only seems to be a few people affected .. and pressurising sigma to make changes to help them might then affect the thousands of others that are happy with the upgrade .. its fairly obvious that there has not been a earth shattering uproar about there being something wrong as this has been posted on both here and a u.k based large forum .

so as far as I can make out it seems to affect some 7dii bodies and some 5div bodies ... any others

and can you also verify the age of the affected lenses i.e within the 3 year warranty or older in case that has something to do with it ..

perhaps the update is throwing up a service issue with some older lenses ??

My lens is about 3 years old.

crofter
393 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 01, 2019 06:11 |  #3627

I recieved an Email from Sigma UK this morning stating Sigma Japan are not aware of this problem and suggest sending the lens for inspection,my lens is not a year old yet, I'll probably send it in and get it looked at,I'll report when it comes back.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/70718847@N02/ (external link)

Martin.D
Goldmember
2,460 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by Martin.D.

Apr 01, 2019 08:57 |  #3628

crofter wrote in post #18838406 (external link)
I recieved an Email from Sigma UK this morning stating Sigma Japan are not aware of this problem and suggest sending the lens for inspection,my lens is not a year old yet, I'll probably send it in and get it looked at,I'll report when it comes back.

How odd..

Below is the reply I got back from Sigma UK indicating the function of the recent firmware was correct and no error found.. I disagreed and they told me to send my lens in so that the firmware could be rolled back..

Morning Martin,

Sigma Japan have confirmed the information I supplied you with is correct. Please see the reply I received:

OS operation in Moderate mode may not look as strong as former version, but the actual effectiveness is still very good, and it will be reflected in the better image quality ultimately.
So I guess his lens is not defect. Please inform the customer to set Standard or Dynamic mode in this case.

Hopefully this helps.

Kind Regards

attached is an image from yesterday.

HOSTED PHOTO

Web Site (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

crofter
393 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by crofter.

Apr 01, 2019 09:10 |  #3629

Martin.D wrote in post #18838462 (external link)
How odd..

Below is the reply I got back from Sigma UK indicating the function of the recent firmware was correct and no error found.. I disagreed and they told me to send my lens in so that the firmware could be rolled back..

attached is an image from yesterday.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Martin.D in
./showthread.php?p=188​38462&i=i18133152
forum: Lens Sample Photo Archive

Yeh Martin I think we are being fobbed off,on reflection I can't be arsed to send it in,probably come back with "no problem found",it works well enough with standard mode OS,a future Firmware update will probably put this right.I tried again with Dynamic and put the camera in rapid fire mode ( don't use this at all really),the image does dance about a bit but it's fine with Standard.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/70718847@N02/ (external link)

Martin.D
Goldmember
2,460 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 01, 2019 09:34 |  #3630

crofter wrote in post #18838467 (external link)
Yeh Martin I think we are being fobbed off,on reflection I can't be arsed to send it in,probably come back with "no problem found",it works well enough with standard mode OS,a future Firmware update will probably put this right.I tried again with Dynamic and put the camera in rapid fire mode ( don't use this at all really),the image does dance about a bit but it's fine with Standard.

Agreed - Prior to the update I was using Moderate View mode, as per the description:

"This mode offers excellent compensation of camera shake and achieves very smooth transition of the image in the viewfinder. The composition of the image remains natural even when the angle of viewing keeps changing."

but under this option it acts as if OS is switched of..

Standard is the way forward for the time being..

Web Site (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,925,176 views & 12,858 likes for this thread
Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.