Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Apr 2015 (Tuesday) 13:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-series Speed Challenge #529 - Gardens

rpolitsr
5,977 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by rpolitsr.

Apr 07, 2015 13:15 |  #1

Challenge #529 - Gardens

Submissions

IMAGE: http://rpolitsr.rafaelpolit.com/potngserieschall/529_thumbnails_chronological.jpg
Congratulations to all and thanks for sharing your photos.
Apologies for the delay and the fast comments that, in my case, can lead to a disaster.
Comments in the order of appearance:
  • Trumper – G1X MK II – Montacute House Devon
    The simple elegance of the house and the serious stone transmit the same mood to the row of trees. Nice capture.
    -
  • Maureen Souza – Pro1 – My Hedge Roses in Spring Bloom
    Vibrant colors, including the wooden fence. The sequence of textures (fence, bushes, soil, stones, narrow road and grass) describe the garden quite well.
    -
  • teekay – G15 – Getting Ready For The Gardeners
    I love this photo! The flowers and green leafs in the background in contrast with the seeds that are being prepared in the foreground and the concentration of the young lady on the plants tell the story of the hard work needed to have a new garden after winter.
    great work on the exposure, composition and framing.
    -
  • JimAskew – G11 - Flower Beds in the Round
    An interesting composition with the flowers and the bush in the soft shadows and the sun behind, in the trees.
    -
  • Spoco57 – G1X – Longwood Gardens
    A big greenhouse, essential for showing foreign/exotic plants is a nice adition to this group of photos. I like the exposure and the contras between blue and white flowers in the foreground.
    -
  • Raven – G9 – Backyard Garden
    An interesting garden, specially the lush green in it. I would like to have that backyard in my home. Is it in Seattle?
    -

And the winners are ...

Winners

IMAGE: http://rpolitsr.rafaelpolit.com/potngserieschall/529_thumbnails_winners.jpg

teekay, you are in charge of challenge #530. Congratulations and good luck!

Regards

rafael

I hope it is not to early for the members in the North :)
Anyhow, archive photos are fine too.

Show us the huge gardens of European Castles, humble back yard gardens on homes, natural gardens on (national) parks, etc.

Anything related to gardens is fine, although close up of flowers and small details may belong more in the macro world. You decide.

Color, light, composition, carefully chosen technical aspects are appreciated. Enjoy

To submit, click the button labeled 'POST TO THREAD' and put your Photo Title in the first line of the post, above your photo.
Don't forget your Camera Model.

Post until Monday noon GMT, 13 April, 2015.

Photo Submissions
  1. Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera G1, G2, G3, G5, G6, G7, G9, G10, G11, G12, G15, G16, G1X, G1X Mark II, G7 X and Pro1 only.
    -
  2. Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
    -
  3. Size -- photo must be no less than 800 pixels and no more than 1024 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.
    -
  4. Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
    -
  5. Posting --
    • One photo per photographer in each challenge.
    • Photo Title in the first line of the post.
    • Camera model.
    • EXIF data, if you like.

6. Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.
    -
  7. Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.
    -
Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
  • New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
  • Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
  • Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT
  • Winners Announcement ... As soon as possible, max. until Tuesday noon GMT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Click FOLLOW THREAD in the top right of the challenge's thread page.
Notifications of new posts will appear below the POTN logo and the main links in the top of each forum page.
Note: Email notifications are not active at the moment, they will be available soon.
Pay attention to your PMs or 'Heads Up!' messages. This will allow the host, helpful members or moderators to contact you about winning or ineligible photos.
Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.

Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

sponsored links
Trumper
962 posts
Joined May 2003

Apr 07, 2015 15:06 |  #2

G1X MK2 Montacute House Devon

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,255 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by Maureen Souza with reason 'change photo'.

Apr 10, 2015 01:27 |  #3

My Hedge Roses in Spring Bloom

Pro1

HOSTED PHOTO

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001
Post edited over 4 years ago by teekay.

Apr 10, 2015 18:52 |  #4

Getting Ready For The Gardeners

IMAGE: http://community.netidea.com/teekay/temp/NoImage.jpg

G15

JimAskew
Cream of the Crop
7,447 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 12, 2015 19:45 |  #5

Flower Beds in the Round
G11

HOSTED PHOTO

Jim -- I keep the Leica D-Lux 7 in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L, Leica D-Lux 7

Spoco57
343 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 12, 2015 20:57 |  #6

Longwood Gardens
G1X

HOSTED PHOTO

Raven
698 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 13, 2015 00:07 |  #7

Backyard Garden

G9

IMAGE: http://jimowensphotography.zenfolio.com/img/s6/v146/p1107473989-5.jpg

~ Jim

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,977 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Apr 13, 2015 08:25 |  #8

Thanks to all who posted. Nice entries! (difficult judging).

Challenge #529 - Gardens is now CLOSED for judging.
Winners will be announced as soon as possible.

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,977 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Apr 14, 2015 01:06 |  #9

Winners announced in the first post.

Comments are welcome!

rafael

Car
627 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 14, 2015 07:56 |  #10

Congratulations to the winners and well hosted Raphael :-)
Maureen and Jim (and Jim A if that is your garden too!) I am very jealous of your beautiful gardens. I spent a full Saturday in our back garden the other week, doing general tidying and cutting back after the winter and to my dismay it looked not very much different to when I started! It's pretty much a mud bath with churned up grass courtesy of the dog :-) You have spurred me on to get back out there at the weekend and try again.
Lovely images everyone. Another mad week here but I hope to get back into the next challenge.
Carolyn

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001
Post edited over 4 years ago by teekay. (2 edits in all)

Apr 14, 2015 11:16 |  #11

Thanks for the unexpected #1 spot and your comments, Rafael, and congratulations to everyone who managed to post those good shots of actual gardens!

It will probably be another couple of months before any gardens in my area are worth photographing, and since I had no garden shots in my archives that had been taken with a G-series camera, I had no option but to go a greenhouse. My shot of the young worker was not posed. It is heavy crop from a shot taken some distance away, and I'm constantly amazed at the IQ of the G15 images that permit such cropping.

I originally was going to post the following shot, taken from another angle as it showed more plants, but in the end couldn't resist the closer shot of the young woman, mainly because of her concentration and hands.

IMAGE: http://community.netidea.com/teekay/temp/NoImage.jpg

A new challenge will be up later today.

Spoco57
343 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 14, 2015 12:07 |  #12

Congrats to everyone! Fun challenge. We here in western NY are still trying to melt off our snowbanks, so we're in no position to shoot gardens. I had to go with a photo from our visit to Longwood Gardens last March. Thanks for hosting, Rafael! Great job.

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,255 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 15, 2015 00:04 |  #13

Congrats to teekay & Jim. Thank you for my 2nd place Rafael. The entire length of my back yard is edged in hedge roses & they barely got pruned this year before they started to re-grow thanks to the California drought & warm winter.

As I type, my front yard grass is being removed & I am Xeriscaping it with drought tolerant plants, succulents, cactus, boulders & a walking path. Too bad this challenge came before I finished it but maybe another challenge will let me show it off.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

Raven
698 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 15, 2015 02:59 |  #14

Congrats teekay, Maureen and Jim. Very nice.
And thanks for hosting a fun contest, Rafael.

It is still a bit early here for gardens to look like gardens. So I had to rely on an archive photo.
A lot of work for sure. And even harder now with the new puppy (I can now relate, Carolyn :-))

Rafael, this is about 20 miles north of Seattle. But the climate is identical.

~ Jim

JimAskew
Cream of the Crop
7,447 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by JimAskew.

Apr 15, 2015 11:47 |  #15

Congratulations to teekay and Mo. And, thanks to Rafael for a fun contest. I appreciate the 3rd place nod. I am so ready for warm weather! Great photos to remind us of things to come.

My photo was made over the weekend at a Gated Community in North Carolina we were visiting. Now that I have retired the wife and I are considering moving there ߘ

Jim -- I keep the Leica D-Lux 7 in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L, Leica D-Lux 7

sponsored links

3,887 views & 1 like for this thread
POTN G-series Speed Challenge #529 - Gardens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.