Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
Thread started 27 Feb 2006 (Monday) 17:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: Show us your Macro Rig

Crypto
Goldmember
2,648 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 14, 2008 03:47 |  #211

sure. sorry for the broken link. I moved my pics
link:
http://www.lumiquest.c​om/lq925.htm (external link)

pic

IMAGE: http://TCProimages.smugmug.com/photos/241560924_y3Euz-X3.jpg

With the MR-14
IMAGE: http://TCProimages.smugmug.com/photos/263435984_svStp-X3.jpg

TCProimages (external link)
Canon 5DII
Canon 40D
Canon 100-400L, Canon 24-70L, Canon MP65 macro,Canon 100L Macro

sponsored links
racketman
Cream of the Crop
21,126 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 17, 2008 13:56 |  #212

Courierman wrote in post #4830051 (external link)
got a new camera today Canon 40D :eek: to go with my new MP-E 65 2.8 :eek:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

congrats -that is my main macro set up, have yet to use the 40D with any other lens.

Toby
Canon 5D MKIV & 90D
Olympus EM-1 MKII
Flickr collections (external link)
Gear

EdV
Goldmember
3,257 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 06, 2008 20:07 as a reply to  @ racketman's post |  #213

OK, so I read this entire thread and got some really good ideas. Based on some of the things I've seen here, I bought the Delta Flip Flash Bracket which seemed much more flexible than my Stroboframe Bracket. And I bought a LumiQuest Soft Box for use with my flash and basically replacing the StoFen OmniBounce since the StoFen won't slide over all that velcro. :)

I also added a 500D close-up lens to supplement my kit which includes a Sigma 70mm macro lens and a set of Kenko tubes.

OK. One problem that has me a bit baffled. As I look at the Delta Flip Flash, I am having a problem figuring how to mount that sucker on a tripod with a Manfrotto ball head. Any suggestions?

"the earth has music for those who listen."
Visit my Website: Ed Vatza Photography (external link)

photobitz
PlatinumMeasure​baiter
6,499 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 06, 2008 21:51 |  #214

EdV wrote in post #5063356 (external link)
OK, so I read this entire thread and got some really good ideas. Based on some of the things I've seen here, I bought the Delta Flip Flash Bracket which seemed much more flexible than my Stroboframe Bracket. And I bought a LumiQuest Soft Box for use with my flash and basically replacing the StoFen OmniBounce since the StoFen won't slide over all that velcro. :)

I also added a 500D close-up lens to supplement my kit which includes a Sigma 70mm macro lens and a set of Kenko tubes.

OK. One problem that has me a bit baffled. As I look at the Delta Flip Flash, I am having a problem figuring how to mount that sucker on a tripod with a Manfrotto ball head. Any suggestions?

How about just work handheld? :rolleyes:

Dan

My gear | Me on Flickr (external link)

simwells
Goldmember
1,504 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 07, 2008 04:06 |  #215

EdV wrote in post #5063356 (external link)

I think I remember someone on here drilling and tapping some extra holes.

Gear List

Crypto
Goldmember
2,648 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 07, 2008 04:24 |  #216

that's what I did

IMAGE: http://TCProimages.smugmug.com/photos/262918954_PWEJj-X3.jpg

TCProimages (external link)
Canon 5DII
Canon 40D
Canon 100-400L, Canon 24-70L, Canon MP65 macro,Canon 100L Macro

EdV
Goldmember
3,257 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 07, 2008 05:04 as a reply to  @ Crypto's post |  #217

Thanks guys. It just bugs me because I specifically asked the guy from B&H whether this bracket could be mounted on a tripod and the answer was a definitive YES.

I had never encountered this "problem" previously because the lenses that I have used with camera and flash bracket had all had a tripod mounting ring so it was simply a case of bracket to camera and tripod to mounting ring and voila!

But my Sigma 70mm has no tripod ring so I am one mount short. I plan on buying either the Canon 180mm or the Sigma 150mm (leaning in the Sigma direction) which both have tripod mounting rings. So that will help.

And yes I know it is fine for handheld but I find that I often prefer shooting off of a tripod.

"the earth has music for those who listen."
Visit my Website: Ed Vatza Photography (external link)

MiCTLaN
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 10, 2008 12:58 |  #218

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3266/2295020862_c2489ab35c_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mictlan74/22950​20862/  (external link)

I've had a bit of success with this 'ghetto rig' :D

EOS 40D with two Quantaray MS-1 slave flashes bungeed to the 28-135 kit lens, mounted on a full set of Kenko extension tubes... I used a small adjustable LED light to assist with focusing.

silvex
Cream of the Crop
7,307 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 10, 2008 13:09 |  #219

MiCTLaN wrote in post #5086146 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mictlan74/22950​20862/  (external link)

I've had a bit of success with this 'ghetto rig' :D

EOS 40D with two Quantaray MS-1 slave flashes bungeed to the 28-135 kit lens, mounted on a full set of Kenko extension tubes... I used a small adjustable LED light to assist with focusing.

That is a LOT of weight for the kenko tubes to support. Are you afraid it might just snap off the 40D and damage the lens mount on the camera...?

-Ed
CPS Platinum Member.
Canon Gear
SilvexPhoto.comexternal link

John ­ Baker
480 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 14, 2008 15:41 as a reply to  @ silvex's post |  #220

What a really great thread, I wanted to add a couple of options I don’t think I have seen (apologies if I missed one!). I managed to pick up a nice Stroboframe Pro RL, which I find very handy. I also use a GF Lightsphere II which gives me the necessary diffusion.

IMAGE: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/246/448660429_7bcd130d1e_o.jpg

John Baker
Canon 1D Mk III plus IIN, G11, Siggy 12-24, Nifty Fifty, 24-105L, 35-350L, 400L, Tamron 180 Macro, EX430/550/580 & ST-E2

MiCTLaN
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 15, 2008 23:21 |  #221

silvex wrote in post #5086229 (external link)
That is a LOT of weight for the kenko tubes to support. Are you afraid it might just snap off the 40D and damage the lens mount on the camera...?

Not really, the slave flashes are only 3oz each... I'd say this is a lot less prone to damage the lens mount than the many 'flash bracket on lens ring' setups that are posted here.

R.H. ­ Johnson ­ II
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 17, 2008 22:54 |  #222

Canon Scientific Digital Macro Studio 1 & 2

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

troypiggo
Goldmember
4,743 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 17, 2008 23:14 |  #223

Holy cow! How do you find that bubble-wrap works for diffusion? Sample shots?

"Interesting. You're afraid of insects and women. Ladybugs must render you catatonic." - Sheldon
Flickr (external link) | Gear List | Macro Rig | Astro Rig | Astro Software Post

Ballen ­ Photo
20,358 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Nov 2003

Mar 17, 2008 23:18 |  #224

R.H. Johnson II wrote in post #5137634 (external link)
Canon Scientific Digital Macro Studio 1 & 2

Hello & WELCOME to the forum RH! :D
Those two set ups look quite functional. Care to elaborate on lens & bellows adaptations? I see you have a focus rail too. ;)
-Bruce

The Captain and crew finally got their stuff together, now if we can only remember where we left it. :cool:

R.H. ­ Johnson ­ II
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 18, 2008 00:41 |  #225

Canon Scientific. the bubble wrap has the quality of a bare bulb flash. the entire bag luminates 360 deg. both shot with flash on in high sync. mode. if i did not tell you the flash was on you would not know it.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

1,052,292 views & 47 likes for this thread
Show us your Macro Rig
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.