Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 16 Apr 2015 (Thursday) 14:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Has anyone purchased photo gear on ebay via Hong Kong?

Lyle ­ Krannichfeld
397 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 16, 2015 14:13 |  #1

Aloha,

Found some stuff I'd like to pick up on Ebay, but it's coming from Hong kong and ebay is warning me that there might be import costs associated with it. Has anyone ever been through this? Any information would be appreciated. It save me a couple hundred bucks but if there are large surprises to be found then I'll skip it.

Thanks!

Lyle

Fine Art Landscape/Wildlife Photographer on Maui: INSTAGRAM (external link) FACEBOOK (external link)
Tonga tours to swim with the Humpbacks: AUMAKUA TOURS (external link)
Sony A7R III, 12-24G, 16-35GM, 50 1.4ZA, 85 1.4GM
DJI Inspire 2 with X7 and 16, 24, 35, 50

sponsored links
eNTiTy
102 posts
Joined May 2014

Apr 16, 2015 23:35 |  #2

Take heed from eBay seriously! I got taken once on a purchase from China/HK. It was about $40 purchase. The seller notified me that the shipping may take 4-6 weeks to arrive. By the time the shipping period was over and received no product, I contacted both the seller and later eBay. From eBay, I found out that the seller was banned and it was too late for me to go through the resolution process (over 45 days from purchase date). EBay only advice to me was to report it to the Federal Trade Commission. From then on, I woudn't purchase any item from China or any other country again that I couldn't afford to lose.

There are some crooks out there. If you're in doubt, don't do it.

Entity = NTT = Natalie
6D | 40D | 17-35 f/2.8L USM | 24-70 f/2.8L USM | 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | 24-105 f/4L IS USM | 40 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 MkI | 85 f/1.8 USM | 70-210 f/4 (1st gen-can't seem to let it go :o) | 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Apr 16, 2015 23:49 |  #3

I've bought close to 4 grand of stuff from hong kong/China/Japan.

Never been hit with import duties.

Shipping does take some time but in some cases its came in 6 days or less, one time I had something in 3 days from Japan!

The normal time is 2-4 weeks. Never had anything take longer or get lost.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

PhotosGuy
75,886 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Apr 17, 2015 08:33 |  #4

Decades ago, a guy named Lindsay Wu in Hong Kong would send me Nikons to general delivery at the main post office in Windsor, Ontario. I would pick them up, pay Canadian duty, & then import them into Detroit as personal property.
The Detroit customs would provide a form which I would send to Canadian customs, who would refund the import duty, minus about 2% (I think).
The process was relatively painless, & once he even sent an extra Nikon & said I could pay when it was convenient for me. Try that today!
But to buy something today from eBay? I wouldn't unless I used https://escrow.com/ (external link) & even they aren't perfect. Look at this:
http://experienced-people.net …1472-Escrow-com-Run-Away- (external link)!

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

CheleA
354 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Apr 17, 2015 19:28 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #5

I bought a Tamron 90mm F2.8(Canon) and received it without any issues. The lens was brand new, shipping was included. i have also bought other things for my business from HK and so far no complaints.

Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,290 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 17, 2015 19:50 |  #6

I've purchased tons of stuff on eBay from China/HK without issue. The sellers are usually very savvy to concerns of international buyers and prepare customs declarations accordingly. There is ample protection built into the eBay/PayPal model but if you are really concerned you can fund the purchase with you credit card for a redundant layer of security.

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

Sparky98
Goldmember
1,129 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 17, 2015 20:46 |  #7

A few years ago on two separate occasions I purchased a wireless remote from China through EBAY. Shipping was about equal to the price of the remotes and took 5 or 6 weeks to reach me. The first remote was stolen and I lost the second so when I bought the third one I got it from B&H. The cost was about the same but I had the remote in less than a week. I don't look on EBAY anymore.

Joe
5DIII

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 17, 2015 20:52 |  #8

I've bought things from HK no problem. Customs invoice was for basically nothing too, so no problems there. Triggers, wireless triggers, macro rail, things like that. Never anything expensive, but if a seller has a lot of good reviews, you are most likely fine.

And I guess, if it doesn't show up in what ever the 45 day or so window is, file a claim with e-bay. But generally, sellers with good reputation are good. Just make sure they don't only have a handful of reviews from their relatives :-)

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,298 posts
Gallery: 418 photos
Joined May 2008

Apr 17, 2015 21:02 |  #9

Yes, bought several items from China and Hong Kong. Saved a lot, great quality. Shipping takes a long time (but is free).

The most recent was a 1000X ND filter for around $US13 shipping included, direct from xcsource. It took about 3 weeks to arrive. Top quality item.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 23, 2015 09:31 |  #10

There are some reputable sellers, so check for feedback and such. thephotogadget that sells the youngnou stuff comes to mind, bought from them several times. I've purchased from others as well, but I make sure I'm selecting sellers with the best feedback ratings.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

sponsored links

1,639 views & 0 likes for this thread
Has anyone purchased photo gear on ebay via Hong Kong?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.