Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 16 Apr 2015 (Thursday) 19:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

portfolio

67cudaking
112 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Apr 2015

Apr 16, 2015 19:39 |  #1

Johneking3.tumblr.com hey guys, putting together some shots I've taken over the past year still have more to add but if you could take a look and tell me what you think so far. I shoot with a canon 40d, efs 55-250ii, 24mm 2.8 stm and edit with canon dpp. Thanks! Johneking3.tumblr.com

olympus epl1, oly omd em10mk11, oly 14-42r x2, oly 40-150r, panasonic 25mm 1.7, gopro hero 3+ silver.

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited over 4 years ago by samsen. (3 edits in all)

Apr 16, 2015 19:47 |  #2

It took a fairly long time for me to see the page. Not sure if problem is at my side or your page's loading speed.
May be you can start with an introduction Home page, allowing viewer to choose between the galleries to view.
Your White back ground color could be better address to have more harmony with the images.
Also Leave the LINK (external link) something like <- So that reader can get there with ease, instead of copy and past.
Way to GO.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

freestylee30
796 posts
Gallery: 164 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 16, 2015 23:58 |  #3

Agree with samsen re: navigation and link to your site.

As for the tumblr page, I think there is too much dead white space for my taste.

I like most of the surf shots, wish there were some more in B&W - I like the couple/few I saw. If this is for portfolio, do you do other stuff or are you really focusing on surf? Seems like you might want to show off some other types of shots if you have them. I saw some cars and rollerblading, but not sure what else because I would have to scroll a long time - this is why some navigation that samsen mentioned would be important.

Thanks for sharing!

Brandon | zenfolio (external link)| ♥ feedback ♥
Eternal Blue Forever Green
Image Editing OK

CANON 5DIV 50 f/1.8 85 f/1.8 135 f/2L 70-200 f/2.8L IS II
ROKINON 14 f/2.8 | TAMRON 15-30 f/2.8 VC 24-70 f/2.8 VC | SIGMA 35 f/1.4 Art |

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,336 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by CameraMan. (2 edits in all)

Apr 17, 2015 05:15 |  #4

Yeah, pictures are kind of small and there's a lot of wasted space on the page. If you're looking to do a blog style web page WordPress is the way to go. If you can find a good cheap server to put it on then choosing a good Blogging theme is fairly simple to do.

On critique I have on the dragster... lets see some smoke coming off those tires man! :) It's just sitting there doing nothing. Action shots rule at the dragstrips. :)

One other thing and it's not really a bad thing unless it's done all the time... You have lots of bullseyes (perfectly centered subjects). I could just slap the guy that taught me to do that when I was first starting out. Everything I shot was in the center. It had no composition whatsoever. Now when I look at my first early photos I could almost puke they're so centered.

Use that Rule of Thirds more. You'll have more compositionally pleasing photos to look at and share. I do like the surf photos as well. Those remind me of being in Hawaii. Fun times! But again, get the horizon out of the center of your photos and you'll see just how much lowering or raising your camera a few degrees really makes a difference. It made a HUGE difference to me when I started doing it.

And finally, yes, I do agree with the linking (external link) issue as well. It's a cool feature to use here if you want to bring us to a certain page.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

566 views & 0 likes for this thread
portfolio
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.