Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 27 Apr 2015 (Monday) 21:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Red Rock Canyon - Vegas

rc9999
62 posts
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited over 6 years ago by rc9999.

Apr 27, 2015 21:38 |  #1

Would like your thoughts on this shot at Red Rock Canyon outside of Las Vegas. Shot a few weeks ago with a 7D and 24-70L II. Let 'er rip! Thanks in advance!

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8755/17109795799_01ac7ff865_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/s4Wb​ci  (external link) IMG_3256.jpg (external link) by RCasburn29 (external link), on Flickr

Rob

sponsored links
dodgyexposure
Goldmember
2,874 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Apr 28, 2015 00:19 |  #2

I haven't been to said canyon, but i feel somehow that the real life scene is a bit more dramatic than your photo shows. The colours are muted, and the mountains are a little hazy. Now it may be that this is a deliberate style choice by you, so feel free to ignore me.

I would increase the contrast and/or clarity of the mountains, and have a play with increasing the vibrance a little, and perhaps the brightness/exposure of the mountains (depending on how the contrast increase goes).

I would also think about cropping out some of the sky for a more panoramic view.

Cheers, Damien

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,770 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited over 6 years ago by saea501.

Apr 28, 2015 07:54 |  #3

I've been to Red Rock and Valley of Fire many times and they are indeed much more dramatic. There are many areas that are, as this appears, just not that impressive. There are others where I have been that are so spectacular that it's difficult to capture in a picture.

The lack of impact above looks like maybe just poor light. Those areas can change radically minute by minute as light conditions change. As with a lot of situations in photography half of the game is waiting for good lighting conditions.

Just as an example, here is one I did that is kind of similar as the OP's but with a bit different light.

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7723/17299650541_cbcf642d07_c_d.jpg

That whole area around Las Vegas is pretty target rich and you can usually leave with some very nice results.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/147975282@N06 (external link)

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,414 posts
Gallery: 222 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 6 years ago by LV Moose.

Apr 28, 2015 08:28 |  #4

Looks like you were dealing with haze, and high thin clouds blocking the sun. Not much you can do about the conditions.

As mentioned, play around with vibrance, contrast, clarity, brightness (without blowing the rocks in the foreground). I like the composition, but would maybe crop out the upper third of the sky for a more panoramic look. You found a nice angle to shoot from.

I love Red Rock Canyon. It's my favorite part of the LV valley. I don't know if you're from the area, but shooting early in the morning is the best; even with high clouds, sometimes you can get some shots before the sun rises above them.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

rc9999
THREAD ­ STARTER
62 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 28, 2015 08:59 |  #5

Thanks for the comments and honest feedback! It was a little hazy out and it was shot around 2-3pm if I remember correctly. I really wanted to stay until closer to sundown to get better light, but we were finishing up a long hike and were too tired to stick around. We're not from the area, but will definitely go back there (and Valley of Fire) next time we are in Vegas.

Rob

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,414 posts
Gallery: 222 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 28, 2015 09:34 |  #6

rc9999 wrote in post #17535665 (external link)
I really wanted to stay until closer to sundown to get better light...

That would actually get you worse light, unless your intent is capturing the sunset itself. The mountains will be completely shaded.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

rc9999
THREAD ­ STARTER
62 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 28, 2015 13:35 as a reply to  @ LV Moose's post |  #7

good point

Rob

sponsored links

947 views & 0 likes for this thread
Red Rock Canyon - Vegas
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.