Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 30 Apr 2015 (Thursday) 17:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Will / Can Canon fix this?

savone
Goldmember
1,048 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 30, 2015 17:23 |  #1

I haven't been shooting for a few years and I haven't been around here in quite some time, but I hope I can get some answers from my old friends.

Recently I pulled the camera out of storage to take some photos of a friends band at a bar as a favor. Long story short, some drunken idiot (ME) dropped my camera to the floor and dented the rim around the front (see photo).

Does anyone thing Canon will fix this? The lens is a 24-70 L.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
7,282 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 30, 2015 17:31 |  #2

Do you use filters?
Can you still put on the lens cap?
If No and Yes then you might consider leaving it.

I'm sure you can get it repaired... but it might cost a few hundred dollars.
What is you pocketbook pain threshold?

Getting better at this - Fuji X-t3 x2 - Laowa 9mm - 16 1.4 - 16-80 - 35/50/90 f2 - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

paddler4
Goldmember
1,354 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 30, 2015 19:16 |  #3

If nothing else is damaged, it is not a major repair, but it is not cheap. I had this on my 70-200 when wind blew my tripod over. It cost me about $135 at a reputable local repair shop. However, with this damage, I would want the lens checked to make sure no elements were knocked out of alignment. I was amazed that when mine fell onto concrete, nothing else was damaged.

Check out my photos at http://dkoretz.smugmug​.com (external link)

Copper ­ NYC
399 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 30, 2015 19:27 |  #4

http://www.ebay.com …d=filter+ring+t​ool&crdt=0 (external link)

40D Gripped, 50D, T2I Gripped, 5D Mark III Gripped, EF-S 18-55 IS, EF-S 55-250 IS
EF 28 f/2.8 IS, EF 40 2.8 STM, EF 50 f/1.4 USM,
EF 85 f/1.8 USM, EF 100 f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 24-105L f/4.0
EF 28-80 USM, the good one with metal mount and ring USM.
EF 28-80 USM V, EF 28-135 USM IS, EF 100-300 USM, EF 100-400L USM IS.
Rokinon 14 f/2.8

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,104 posts
Gallery: 556 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 30, 2015 19:30 |  #5

I once dropped at Sigma 20-40 EX on the cobbled ground. I had a £120 Hoya Pro1 UV filter (82mm hence the cost) on the lens. The filter smashed, but the filter ring bent, instead of the lens itself. I had to have someone remove the ring as it was jammed on. I never bothered to replace the filter, but do sometimes think that it might be a good idea to put a filter ring on to save the filter thread in event of a repeat. I was lucky that I did not do any other damage to the lens. As it's a constant f/2.8 it is my standard zoom, I got it for my 300D before the 17-5? crop lenses were readily available cheap enough for my pocket, so it still gets a lot of use.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited over 7 years ago by gjl711.

Apr 30, 2015 19:35 |  #6

you can also fix it with a pair of needle nose pliers and a wooden dowel rod. Use the pliers to get it close and the dowel to push it back in place and smooth it out. It wants to be round.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Copper ­ NYC
399 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Post edited over 7 years ago by Copper NYC.

Apr 30, 2015 20:44 |  #7

Here's a thread from six months ago where i posted the same reply as above. Good luck and keep us abreast of what you do that dent.
https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=1399​799&page=1

40D Gripped, 50D, T2I Gripped, 5D Mark III Gripped, EF-S 18-55 IS, EF-S 55-250 IS
EF 28 f/2.8 IS, EF 40 2.8 STM, EF 50 f/1.4 USM,
EF 85 f/1.8 USM, EF 100 f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 24-105L f/4.0
EF 28-80 USM, the good one with metal mount and ring USM.
EF 28-80 USM V, EF 28-135 USM IS, EF 100-300 USM, EF 100-400L USM IS.
Rokinon 14 f/2.8

savone
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,048 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 30, 2015 21:45 |  #8

Thanks for the info everybody. I am going to bring it to the canon service center here in New Jersey. It seems to be miss focusing now. Probably banged up pretty good.

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,692 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Apr 30, 2015 23:09 |  #9

That's a shame. Hopefully you'll get away with the minimum repair cost, which if my 100-400 is any indication, would be around $260 plus return shipping.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,256 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 7 years ago by amfoto1.

May 01, 2015 13:45 |  #10

If that's a currently in-production model, or even a relatively recently discontinued one for which spare parts are still available, I'm sure Canon can fix it.

Just be aware that a factory repair facility like Canon's will replace any and all damaged parts modularly, so the cost can run rather high.

The obvious damage - the filter ring dent - is actually the least of your worries. Over the years I've straightened out many of those with simple, non-metallic tools I've made myself. I first used hole saws of various sizes to make hardwood "anvils" to rest lenses of various diameters in, and then used a variety of plastic and wooden objects (hardwood sticks, toothbrush handles, etc.) to make "stakes" that can be used to get in there and push the filter ring back into proper shape. Metal will want to return to shape for the large part and this type of straightening repair can usually be made fully usable, though there might be some cosmetic damage still evident. Sometimes I can just "press" softer and thinner metals such as aluminum back into shape by hand. Other times some gentle and careful "encouragement" tapping on the stake with a small hammer is necessary. Alternatively, there are special pliers and vices available to repair filter ring dents, some of which aren't cheap. But I've found the results with those no more satisfactory than what I can get with the tools I've made myself. In fact, often a metal tool ends up doing more cosmetic damage, scratching the lens' finish (touch up is possible, but never as good and durable as the original finish).

At any rate, the filter dent is rather easily fixed. Canon will just replace that part of the lens barrel. An independent repairer would more likely just straighten it at lower cost, unless you insisted on replacement (in which case they'd have to acquire the part, too).

Actually, more of concern is internal damage, especially since you mention that focus accuracy now seems off. It might be as simple as recalibrating the lens. Or it could be as complex as broken parts or a decentered element or group of elements that need repair and/or replacement. Some disassembly will be required for that and at a minimum there will be some labor charges.

Send to Canon, if you prefer. You can be sure that their repairs will be good and they'll warrant their work, too. But an independent repairer might be able to fix it well, too. Maybe at lower cost. There are still some good repair techs around. If the lens is an older one, discontinued and with the replacement parts they deem necessary unavailable, Canon may not be able to repair it. In that case you may have no choice but to have an independent repair tech deal with it.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

elliott44k
30 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 09, 2015 12:27 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

Hope yours isn't damaged too badly

sponsored links

3,863 views & 0 likes for this thread
Will / Can Canon fix this?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.