Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
Thread started 09 May 2015 (Saturday) 20:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hired a fantastic newborn photographer - unimpressed with the results

jebrady03
164 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2014

May 09, 2015 20:46 |  #1

My wife and I just had a baby boy and we wanted to hire a fantastic local photographer to capture some images worthy of printing large and hanging in our home for years. We picked our favorite in a 50 mile radius and had our shoot recently. Last night, we received the images and after going through them, both my wife and I are VERY disappointed. Sure, there's a handful that are nice, but compared to the work we've seen this photographer put out (all over the website, facebook, hospital, pediatrician and OB offices - this photographer is the high end, amazing photographer in the area), our images are very ordinary. In fact, I feel like I could have made them (and we hired someone because we wanted work much better than my capabilities can produce).
So... I'm not really sure what to do. The photographer and I talked for months and built a great rapport.
Pricing wise, this photographer charges a session fee (which we've already paid) and then charges by the image. So, all we've paid thus far is the session fee so we're not out much. I'm honestly not sure I want to buy many, if any of the images and I certainly don't feel like the images are worthy of the cost. Sadly, as we debate this my son is getting older and changing by the day so it feels like we've missed out on that part of his life in terms of images to keep.
I don't know how, or even if I should express to the photographer that we're disappointed with the work received - especially given the rapport we've built. Any advice on what to do?

sponsored links
nqjudo
Goldmember
3,058 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 09, 2015 20:59 |  #2

If you don't buy any photos the photographer will likely understand that as feedback from a dissatisfied customer. If he or she asks you about it there isn't anything wrong with honesty. If your issues are reasonable and reasonably expressed the photographer might have a solution toward satisfying you.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,079 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 09, 2015 21:02 |  #3

Maybe if you explain politely your concerns and lack interest in prints from this particular session, the photographer will offer another session?

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,069 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2011

May 09, 2015 21:15 |  #4

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17550017 (external link)
Maybe if you explain politely your concerns and lack interest in prints from this particular session, the photographer will offer another session?

yup.

i always want feedback on my work, good or bad. As long as you are matter of fact and do not let emotions creep into it, and the photographer is a professional, there should be no problems.

maybe he just had a bad day? It happens to the best of us. :D

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

jebrady03
THREAD ­ STARTER
164 posts
Joined Jan 2014

May 09, 2015 21:27 |  #5

Here's part of my concern... An excerpt from the email letting me know the images were in the proofing gallery...

"You had more choices than any other newborn nature session I have ever done. I don't think you will have any
problem coming up with images that you like. With two cooperative kids, how could I not get good pictures!"

Like I said, there are a handful that we like, but the images don't have that amazing feel/look to them like the images hanging all over the hospital and doctors offices. They feel like any other photographer could have taken them, myself included. In fact, we had a maternity session with a different photographer and got 40+ images for $350 total (this newborn photographer charges $250 for the session and $100 per full resolution image - so, drastically different pricing) and we like the maternity pictures MUCH better. So I'm worried that a re-shoot wouldn't yield anything better because the photographer seems impressed with them. My wife said it well "I want to ask her if she'd display any of these images in her calendar, the hospital, offices, or any contest that she normally enters (and wins)."
Pretty torn about this...

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
1,903 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Apr 2012

May 10, 2015 04:19 |  #6

man, can you post some examples? the bad ones, give us the bad ones!

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

jebrady03
THREAD ­ STARTER
164 posts
Joined Jan 2014

May 10, 2015 04:32 |  #7

I'd like to, but we haven't purchased any of the images (yet) so I don't have the right to post them. I actually wish I could post some of the photographers images that they've shared on FB, and then some of ours to see if others concur with our thoughts.

3six2four
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Apr 2015

May 10, 2015 05:26 |  #8

I feel for you. Miserable situation. There are very accomplished pros out there and I suppose some of them have a bad day now and then, or whatever.

Some time ago a relative of mine told me about a pro shooter who charged a lot for several hours work. I saw all the shots and believe me they were rubbish. Sometimes the tag "professional" is unreliable at best.

Random Thoughts On Photography:
http://theimageplane.w​ordpress.com (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,069 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2011

May 10, 2015 06:55 |  #9

What does the photog mean when saying " You had more choices than any other"?

More locations? More props? More proofs?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

jebrady03
THREAD ­ STARTER
164 posts
Joined Jan 2014

May 10, 2015 07:39 |  #10

More proofs

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 12, 2015 03:07 |  #11

jebrady03 wrote in post #17550035 (external link)
Here's part of my concern... An excerpt from the email letting me know the images were in the proofing gallery...

"You had more choices than any other newborn nature session I have ever done. I don't think you will have any
problem coming up with images that you like. With two cooperative kids, how could I not get good pictures!"

^^^ IPS sales mumbo jumbo to get you to feel guilt and reciprocation when it comes to the sales session. 90% of what you'll get in communication from IPS based photographers (either spoken or written) is cleverly crafted (and often scripted) sales talk (even if it doesn't appear like that).

If you don't like the pictures the easiest thing to do is not buy any.

Peter

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by memoriesoftomorrow.

May 12, 2015 03:11 |  #12

jebrady03 wrote in post #17550003 (external link)
especially given the rapport we've built. Any advice on what to do?

The building rapport is all part of the IPS (in person sales) process. It is harder to not spend money if you have a rapport with someone. Classic technique they employ, highly deliberate.

Peter

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,389 posts
Joined Aug 2012

May 12, 2015 04:25 |  #13

Be honest, thank them for their time, then say you don't feel you'll be buying many as you were hoping for something more along the lines of X and Y then give the examples. Then they have honest feedback, you're under no obligation to buy more than you want, if any, and the photographer has a chance to make good and sell more prints of they are so inclined. It could be what they've provided is what most people want, but what you want is slightly different to the norm, shallow DOF etc.

Had a similar situation recently ( current baby is 10 days old ), the studio guy for the last baby was very poor, ended up doing them all myself ( don't know why I bothered really ) but this time someone came round the wards in hospital with a mid level Nikon/Lens, one flash bounced off the ceiling, I was a bit sceptical to be honest ( gear snob :( ), she worked really quickly but patiently and gently with the baby, and had 10 cracking shots on her lap top to show me in ten minutes, I bought every one. She was a perfect example of technique winning over equipment, no GAS there, just experience and confidence in her kit, quite humbling really :)

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,048 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jul 2010

May 12, 2015 05:48 |  #14

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #17553060 (external link)
[...] but this time someone came round the wards in hospital with a mid level Nikon/Lens, one flash bounced off the ceiling, I was a bit sceptical to be honest ( gear snob :( ), she worked really quickly but patiently and gently with the baby, and had 10 cracking shots on her lap top to show me in ten minutes, I bought every one. She was a perfect example of technique winning over equipment, no GAS there, just experience and confidence in her kit, quite humbling really :)

This is a story worth of remembering! Thanks for sharing. (and reminding me that I don't need another lens  :p).

Donate if you love POTN

Intheswamp
Goldmember
1,092 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2013

May 12, 2015 08:56 |  #15

...the photographer has most likely shot tens of thousands of images (hundreds of thousands?) of his subjects. Those photos hanging "all over the website, facebook, hospital, pediatrician and OB offices" are very likely *not* his/her best ones, but rather the "best of the best" ones...especially in regards to the prints hanging on the walls.

I wouldn't buy something that I didn't like. Don't be pressured into buying, but be civil and honest about "why" you're not buying. How the photographer responds will speak volumes about his or her true self...good, bad, or indifferent.

You are correct in saying your child is growing day-by-day. So, in the mean time...get a nice soft quilt or blanket, lay it out in front of a (north if possible) window with some nice soft light coming in, get down low, and start shooting....then take it outside, find some open shade. Maybe throw in a reflector or bounce some flash in there... "Film" is cheap. ;)

Best wishes,
Ed

www.beeweather.com (external link)

sponsored links

12,989 views & 10 likes for this thread
Hired a fantastic newborn photographer - unimpressed with the results
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.