Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
Thread started 09 May 2015 (Saturday) 20:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hired a fantastic newborn photographer - unimpressed with the results

werds
"Yes, Sire. You'll shut your trap!"
612 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2014

May 20, 2015 19:43 |  #61

BlakeC wrote in post #17562560 (external link)
Not sure what to think of this thread. I feel like we need to see some images.
It sounds like a client who can't be pleased no matter what. It also sounds like a photographer who did a below average job. I've heard this same story from both sides before.

On one hand, it sounds like the photog left you with unrealistic expectations. On the other hand, I find it hard to believe that you can't find photos you like out of the 54 given. 54 sounds like a good number. Also, not EVERY single photo is going to be the breath-taking photo you imagined. I think you would be lucky to get 4-5 AMAZING photos out of that with the rest just being good. You don't think ALL of those AMAZING photos on his site are all from the same session do you? Did you point out the photos from the site that you liked before hand? This would give the photog a good idea of your expectations. At the same time, the photog should have asked if there is anything in particular that you really liked. Ask you what made you choose them. He should have also managed your level of expectation.

I always ask clients why they chose me and what photos they really enjoyed and some of them come right out without me asking and tell me the photos they loved. Then I make sure I do some similar shots for them. And sometimes, I have to lower their expectations. For instance, I had a client who said hired me because he REALLY loved a particular fall photo I did with all of the colors. Well, at the time he said that, there were NO leaves and everything was dead in the middle of winter with no snow. So, I had to manage his expectations in that case. Another client said she really loved my macro, so I made sure we spent extra time on here ring shots.

In any case, I believe it is the photog's responsibility to think ahead and manage clients' expectations. It's the photog's job to make YOU happy, but clients should also be reasonable (not saying you aren't). Hard to tell without seeing any photos.

Hands down the best post of an interestingly odd thread that I have been sucked into returning to...

Gear: Nikon D750, Nikon D7200, Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS, Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS HSM EX , Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR1, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Tamron 28-300mm Di VC PZD, Tamron 16-300mm VC PZD, Tamron 150-600 VC, Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.8, Nikon SB-900
POTN Seller Feedback (and other)

sponsored links
BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

May 20, 2015 20:04 |  #62

werds wrote in post #17564716 (external link)
Hands down the best post of an interestingly odd thread that I have been sucked into returning to...

Thanks! :-)

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,982 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

May 21, 2015 01:31 as a reply to  @ post 17561852 |  #63

I've seen shots that appeared in focus on the LCD and were most decidedly not in focus when viewed in post. IMO, it's good for composition, nothing else. If I want to check exposure, I trust the histogram WAY more than I would trust a 3 inch LCD screen. The histogram doesn't lie.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

elrey2375
4,982 posts
Joined Nov 2011

May 21, 2015 01:34 as a reply to  @ post 17561943 |  #64

This is terrible advice IMO. You feel different about certain photos after revisiting them a second or third time. You are banking on seeing everything you're going to see in that first look, and that's not the way it works. Not to mention you notice things once you're looking at the photo on a 27 inch monitor that there's no possible way of seeing on a 3 inch LCD. It might work for you, but to advise it as a way of working, I think it's irresponsible.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 21, 2015 01:52 as a reply to  @ elrey2375's post |  #65

The LCD's are plenty good enough to judge shots on (they can zoom you know ;) )

I've been shooting that way for 3 years now.

Peter

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 21, 2015 01:57 as a reply to  @ elrey2375's post |  #66

You think everything is irresponsible :rolleyes:

You can easily do the majority of culling in camera. It really isn't that difficult. It is way more efficient than doing the majority of it afterwards. Keep quality, ditch crap and then there will be maybe 10-15 % you can't decide on which you leave for later. Save 1 hour culling per wedding... 35 weddings a year. That is an extra week of holidays ;-)a

Peter

Buchinger
467 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 21, 2015 05:37 |  #67

I guess I would have to see the photos. If you got 7 shots you like and are willing to dish out $1000 for, I'd say that's pretty darn good.

You are admittedly a photographer yourself. When you take pictures, what percentage of yours "take your breath away"? Did you expect every image to knock your socks off?

Every pro posts their best shots - it's called advertising. But every shot isn't the best shot. Sounds like a combination of possible over hyped photog mixed with over hyped expectations perhaps?

Like I said, I would have to see the images.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,596 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

May 21, 2015 07:19 |  #68

elrey2375 wrote in post #17564959 (external link)
I've seen shots that appeared in focus on the LCD and were most decidedly not in focus when viewed in post.

again, zoom in. but this is somewhat irrelevant to whether flugelbinder, or anyone else, could judge someone's images from the LCD. If the image was bad all around but OOF, who cares? it's still bad. If it was good and OOF, but not seen on the LCD, he wouldn't have been using focus as a criteria for judgement.

IMO, it's good for composition, nothing else.

composition, along side lighting, is generally viewed as the most important thing in photography. If an image's composition can be judged on the LCD than that is half the battle. I think if you would be honest, i think you would also agree that the lighting could be judged on the LCD. Whatever tweaks that are done in post can be easily visualized by someone with even a little bit of experience and creative vision.

If I want to check exposure, I trust the histogram WAY more than I would trust a 3 inch LCD screen. The histogram doesn't lie.

exactly. the histogram on the 3 inch LCD.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

elrey2375
4,982 posts
Joined Nov 2011

May 21, 2015 14:34 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #69

Are you kidding me? The size of the screen has nothing to do with the accuracy of the histogram. It's reading raw data distribution and has nothing to do with the quality of the screen.

elrey2375
4,982 posts
Joined Nov 2011

May 21, 2015 14:34 as a reply to  @ memoriesoftomorrow's post |  #70

No, just this.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by memoriesoftomorrow. (2 edits in all)

May 21, 2015 17:54 |  #71

What do you think an EVF is? Oh... it's an LCD :rolleyes:

According to your logic anyone shooting mirrorless can't trust what they see which is complete nonsense.

The LCDs are very good. I could deliver weddings SOOC if I wanted to by purely judging exposures from them.

You can also tell bad poses from the back of the screen very easily too.

I shoot wide open on a 50mm F0.95 with an EVF and it really isn't that hard using the zoom function to tell what is in focus and what isn't.

Peter

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
1,297 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 16, 2015 12:01 |  #72

Has the OP heard of any other dissatisfied clients? Can he give a link to this guy's amazing shots and something average that he's done for another client? Look on his website for the names of a few clients and then do a FB search as I'm sure proud parents will upload from the CD the pro gives his clients.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

sponsored links

12,718 views & 10 likes for this thread
Hired a fantastic newborn photographer - unimpressed with the results
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.