Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
Thread started 11 May 2015 (Monday) 12:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question about natural light vs off camera

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,255 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

May 11, 2015 15:16 |  #16

The nice thing about garden of the gods is if you go later in the day the mountain block direct sun and you get a huge field indirect sunlight. Still sufficient for whatever you might want to achieve but consistent enough that you can get saturated backgrounds. If you try to shoot there before that the sun is so bright and hard its hard to achieve good results. I shot some senior pics there last august and shot them using ocf with a small softbox on a stick, ettl with exposure comp dialed down to give a bit of fill, and eye twinkle. http://kevin-jones.smugmug.com/Othe​r/Tiffany/43924852_cmv​wsH (external link)

sponsored links
digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

May 11, 2015 15:26 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #17

Gonzo! Nice to see you! So that's the senior shoot you did, I like the colors! and yeah, I think ill have to bring the softbox and my strobe and go from there, especially when the sun dips behind the rocks. Natural light would be nice, but like you said, I also need that sparkle in the eye :) Especially with two people, my Apollo style soft box should be sufficient.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,255 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 11, 2015 15:27 as a reply to  @ digitalduck's post |  #18

What time are you doing this? Do you need a moderately experienced assistant?

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by Left Handed Brisket. (2 edits in all)

May 11, 2015 15:34 |  #19

gonzogolf wrote in post #17552308 (external link)
Do you need a moderately experienced assistant?

LOL

great set, gonzo.

exactly what i was saying earlier about almost always giving a little umph with a flash, even if it is bare on camera.

edit: damn, i said "almost always".

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by digitalduck. (2 edits in all)

May 11, 2015 15:34 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #20

Probably around 4-5 (im going to watch this week and see what the light looks like) If i was using reflector only that would be great to have help, but ill have a sturdy stand with weights and then will only need to life that and go to next location so should be manageable. Thank you for the potential offer though! Would still be fund to go back there another time with the fam and practice...

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,255 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 11, 2015 15:39 as a reply to  @ digitalduck's post |  #21

Okay, if you change your mind let me know. I'm amazingly unscheduled at this point.

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

May 13, 2015 14:27 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #22

Gonzo, or anyone.. since i know the look im going for for this shoot, i had a question regarding exposure modes.. I know that i want the colors and deep, rich saturation (without overdoing it) that the rocks can provide, so ill have a slightly higher ISO however, since I will have to shoot in either TV or AV in order to use Exposure Comp... I know I can achieve this simply by being in M mode, but what would an ideal situation be where im trying to simply stay in M mode and really not have to add any exp comp?

On the other hand, since ill be using ttl I suppose it may be easier to simply be in AV for some shots and then determine what exp adjustments I need rather than M..

Thanks!

Buick ­ M
81 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2015

May 13, 2015 17:30 |  #23

digitalduck wrote in post #17554999 (external link)
Gonzo, or anyone.. since i know the look im going for for this shoot, i had a question regarding exposure modes.. I know that i want the colors and deep, rich saturation (without overdoing it) that the rocks can provide, so ill have a slightly higher ISO however, since I will have to shoot in either TV or AV in order to use Exposure Comp... I know I can achieve this simply by being in M mode, but what would an ideal situation be where im trying to simply stay in M mode and really not have to add any exp comp?

On the other hand, since ill be using ttl I suppose it may be easier to simply be in AV for some shots and then determine what exp adjustments I need rather than M..

Thanks!

Here are the ideal settings for M: ISO 252 (maybe 253) SS 1/1250 and F/1.2.  :p

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,255 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 13, 2015 20:39 as a reply to  @ digitalduck's post |  #24

M or AV. It basically comes down to how much you want to pay attention to the details. I usually shoot that stuff in M, not out of any purity but because I can make sure that I'm not accidentally running my SS too high or low by not paying attention. Obviously if you go with manual flash you need manual camera.

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jun 07, 2015 22:17 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #25

Gonzo and everyone, thanks for the feedback..I did the shoot and put a thread with pics in the wedding section (sorry, could have put them here)

https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=17587971

Kind of funny because I forgot a 622c, but still made the best of it I think.... :)

sponsored links

6,408 views & 1 like for this thread
Question about natural light vs off camera
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.