Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 12 May 2015 (Tuesday) 12:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Advice On Shooting Golf

SierraHighPhoto
447 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 12, 2015 12:10 |  #1

Have the opportunity to shoot some Golf in a few weeks and I've never done so. Looking for any sort of advice I can get. I have a 400mm F/2.8 and am debating on whether to take the 70-200 or 24-105 as a secondary lens. Any recommendations on those?

Besides that, any input would be great. I understand the game in a sense, but really besides staying out of the "line" I don't know too much about where it's okay to shoot, and isn't okay. Some say you shoot through the swing, some say you don't at all, some say you do when they're come down about half way. Any true rule on that?

I know I'm not mentioning things I probably should be, so anything and everything will be great for me. Don't want to look like a total idiot.

Thanks

pat.kane
689 posts
Joined May 2005

May 12, 2015 19:51 |  #2

At what level? Recreation or competition? This will determine whether you can shoot through the swing or not.

Yes on the 400 and 70-200. The 24-105 isn't likely to be of much use as you'll be too close to the action with the shutter going off.

With the 400 you have a chance to be out of hearing range and can probably shoot through the swing.

My only experience with golf is for high school yearbooks, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

1Dx Mk II, 5D4 and some L glass (gear list / feedback)
http://MaxPreps.DMVpix​.com (external link)
http://www.DMVpix.com (external link)

SierraHighPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
447 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 12, 2015 20:37 |  #3

It's a charity event, so more recreation than competition.

I didn't think the 24-105 would be much use, but thought I'd bring it up anyways.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,212 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Dec 2006
Post edited over 4 years ago by gonzogolf.

May 12, 2015 20:51 as a reply to  @ SierraHighPhoto's post |  #4

Be careful about getting in front of recreational golfers. Its dangerous. Stick to places where you can shoot from cover unobserved.

pat.kane
689 posts
Joined May 2005

May 12, 2015 20:51 |  #5

There will be plenty of grip & grin if it is a charity event, so the 24-105 will definitely be of use. Good luck.

1Dx Mk II, 5D4 and some L glass (gear list / feedback)
http://MaxPreps.DMVpix​.com (external link)
http://www.DMVpix.com (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,632 views & 0 likes for this thread
Advice On Shooting Golf
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.