Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 23 May 2015 (Saturday) 10:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is an Imac suitable for photography?

Aswald
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Oct 2013

May 28, 2015 21:42 |  #31

littlejohncharles wrote in post #17574840 (external link)
The glossy screen scare me too, i've worked so far only with matte ones.
Usually i work on my photos with only the light of my desk lamp placed at the side of the monitor, two meters behind the desk there is a white wall I
I like to watch also movies sitting in my armchair that is close that wall, the room is dark.
Do you think i'll have reflections troubles in these situations?

That sounds like a good setup for photo editing. It's very similar to mine except I'm in a double volume with huge windows about 20 feet above me. I like a bit of natural light in my work studio.

Whatever the point of views, the iMac 27 is an absolute beauty to use and work on. It is definitely more than capable for most type of photo and video editing.

sponsored links
Aswald
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Oct 2013

May 28, 2015 21:49 |  #32

palmor wrote in post #17575344 (external link)
I'm pretty OS agnostic having Macs and Windows machines so I'm pretty unbiased. My home built windows machine was dying (pretty old Athlon six core machine) so I was looking for a new desktop. I wanted something that I could put in the living room instead of up in my office so I could work on things in front of the TV and not lock myself away being as anti-social. My first choice was actually the Dell XPS 27 AIO. Great on paper and was really exciting to get it since the monitor was wide gamut touch screen etc. I got it and I found very faint grid pattern in the monitor on any white background, did a little research and it was a common problem so I returned it.

My 2nd choice was the 5k IMac. Although my wife has a 13" MacBook Pro I do think in general Macs are overpriced, but having her educational discount helps. What surprised me was that if you consider what you get with the iMac it isn't as overpriced as you would think (but like any other AIO you are of course limited). The Dell 5k monitor cost as much as the base model iMac, so with the iMac you get the computer and the monitor for the same price. Now the actual quality of the Dell 5k monitor is higher (wide gamut etch) and that is something that anyone considering the iMac has to decide for themselves, is the monitor good enough. It also does have user replaceable memory and HD, which was a big deal for me (it would have ben a deal breaker if I couldn't at least change those things out).

For me I'm OK with the smaller gamut and glossy screen of the Mac. I have no windows or lights directly behind my sitting position so I don't have glare issues, I also have a wide gamut Lenovo W520 (with calibrator) so if I need to do something that requires a higher level of color accuracy or gamut I have something else can use (along with my older Dell monitor I had on my desktop that is also wide gamut).

I guess that is the long way with saying if you don't need wide gamut and can deal with a glossy monitor it is just fine for photography. The new version of LR doesn't lag like version 5 did so that is something you won't have to worry about (at least with my config which is the quad core I7 and upgraded GXF card). I haven't had any issues with it yet so I've been happy.

I will say it is tough processing for websites images (say 1000 on the long side) because they are so small on the 5k screen that you don't really know how it is going to look. I've been loading them up on my Lenovo (which is only a 1080 monitor) just so I can see what they'll look like for most people :)

Any questions about it I'll be happy to answer.

Both my MacBook Pros and all of my PCs have been working flawlessly for the last couple of years. If I were to offer any tips, I would say,

1. Use SSD for your OS.
2. Max out your RAM. 4gb is minimum for windows.
3. For Mac, keep your OS updated. For Windows, ONLY update the important updates. Ignore the optional ones, they do more damage than good.

You should be trouble free for years...

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,636 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by EverydayGetaway. (3 edits in all)

May 29, 2015 00:59 |  #33

ShotByTom wrote in post #17575236 (external link)
Sure....there's no bias there....

I use windows and OSX all day, every day and there is no comparison. OSX is not the "overhyped" OS...that would be windows. I have to restart my windows laptop daily because of dropped drivers and a slew of other issues, I never have a problem with my macbook pro or my iMac, NEVER.

Bias? I just said I used Macs for 10+ years and was a self proclaimed fanboy... until I bought a PC for less than half what my mac cost me (late 2012 i7 Mac Mini with 16gb of RAM) and it pretty much destroys in in every single application, it's also been more stable than my Mac was for photo editing.

Using my Mac LR will randomly freeze up (especially when using the clone tool) and sometimes even requires a force quit of LR to get it working the right way again. My PC has yet to freeze ever when using LR and it's processor is nearly 5 years old... I just bought the Mac last year (and it was a good thing I did since they gimped the newer ones even more). The only issues I've had with my PC were gaming, and really it was with the game since it happened by running mods. When browsing the net, using word processing, photo editing or anything else I've tried it's been hassle free. I would definitely say I'm still in the "break in period", but I don't see myself going back to my Mac at this point, it'll be up for sale in the very near future.

The older I get the more I realize how foolish it is to be a fanboy of any brand. I use what works and what makes sense at the lowest cost possible. I feared going back to Windows because in the early 2000's it was definitely a PITA imo, but it's come a long way since then and Windows 10 looks to go even further. I have no issues using OSX, there's plenty there that I definitely miss, but then there's plenty there that I straight up hate, especially after the "upgrade" to Yosemite... the fact that I can't view all of my folder routes in Finder is straight up mind boggling... just finding a folder I want is an absolute chore on my Mac, it takes 2 seconds on the PC.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

Aswald
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Oct 2013

May 29, 2015 02:54 |  #34

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #17575535 (external link)
... the fact that I can't view all of my folder routes in Finder is straight up mind boggling... just finding a folder I want is an absolute chore on my Mac, it takes 2 seconds on the PC.

This....I have to agree.

Alyx
98 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2009

May 29, 2015 05:15 |  #35

I am not really familiar with apple either but from what I can make of this all the 5K is perfectly capable of photo editing.
You might find the following link an interesting read:

http://terrywhite.com …mac-retina-5k-vs-mac-pro/ (external link)

something that says "click" and some strange white tubes with glass in it..

Aswald
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Oct 2013

May 29, 2015 06:34 |  #36

Alyx wrote in post #17575649 (external link)
I am not really familiar with apple either but from what I can make of this all the 5K is perfectly capable of photo editing.
You might find the following link an interesting read:

http://terrywhite.com …mac-retina-5k-vs-mac-pro/ (external link)

Good reading but don't think OP was considering the Mac Pro.

Still interesting results though....

Alyx
98 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2009

May 29, 2015 07:46 as a reply to  @ Aswald's post |  #37

I did not post the link for the OP to compare it to the macbook pro but because it does give an indication of it's speed while performing the tasks ;-)a

something that says "click" and some strange white tubes with glass in it..

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 29, 2015 12:10 |  #38

Just a bit of a rant on my part, but the Mac Pro is a terrible computer. Well, not unless all you use is Final Cut Pro X and have the dual D700 option, but in every other aspect it's over priced and underpowered just to get a nice form-factor, and even that's not really an advantage anymore.

A fully spec'ed out Mac Pro is $9,600 as per the Apple configure tool, here is what you get:

E5 2697 V2 12-Core @ 2.7Ghz (3.5 turbo)
64GB 1866 RAM
1TB PCI-E SSD (Samsung XP941 with double capacity)
Dual D700s (lower clocked Fire Pro W9000 analog)

My user-built configuration focuses on minimum size - the case is 1.6x the volume of the Mac Pro. not too shabby.

NCASE M1 - nice and stylish vs trash bin.
ASRock X99E-ITX/ac - the build enabler.
H100i cooler - water cooling, yeah!
E5 2699 V3 18-Core @ 2.3Ghz (3.6 turbo) - 6 more cores, and always faster than the 2697 V2, even when all cores are running. Or swap for 5960X and do 4Ghz all day 'ery day.
64GB 2133 RAM (2x32 sticks)
1.2TB Intel 750 (2.5" version via M.2 adapter) - way faster than the Mac Pro SSD and a free 200GB.
GTX Titan X - 2~3x faster than a single W9000, so even the dual D700s are outclassed by this one card, except possibly for FP64 performance.
Silverstone 600W SFX PSU - They recently came out with a 700W unit as well.
Slim Bluray/DVD drive - :-)

Grand total? $7,900 for a computer that'll rip the Mac pro a new one. Go 5960X and you're down to $4,900 and still better. You can't even spend that much money in PC land if you wanted to.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

sponsored links

3,955 views & 1 like for this thread
Is an Imac suitable for photography?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.