Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 27 May 2015 (Wednesday) 23:57
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "hood or filter saved or hurt lens from fall or scratching"
filter saved lens
55.6%
filter hurt lens
2.8%
lens hood saved lens
41.7%
lens hood hurt lens
0%

36 voters, 36 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

poll using filter hurt or helped a lens from scratch/breaking

burb1972
126 posts
Joined Aug 2013

May 27, 2015 23:57 |  #1

there is a thread about using a filter and who does or doesnt based on if it provides
any protection to a lens. I had a 50mm mark I, that was packed on a camera in a van
in a bag and it fell about 5 feet, it landed probably at a 45 degree angle right on
the filter, it was a hoya, it shattered but didnt scratch the lens, the filter did
get wedged in the lens, but i was able to free it, and the lens was fine. anyway my
answer would be yes, it saved the lens

mike parker
gear list 5dc, tamron 19-35, tamron 28-75, 50mm 1.8 mark 1, 28-70 3.5 canon(x2), 100 f/2 canon, 70-300 usm is, helios 44-2, vpk lens put into a m42 cap attached to a bellows, 430 ex

sponsored links
DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,190 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006
Post edited over 4 years ago by DreDaze.

May 28, 2015 01:31 |  #2

lens elements are a lot tougher than you think...i doubt the filter did anything, except for break...

watch this:
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=vzOLbMPe0u8 (external link)

try recreating it with a filter...i bet the filter breaks...

i'd vote the hood maybe saved it, but i think it just wouldn't have broken anyways...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

burb1972
THREAD ­ STARTER
126 posts
Joined Aug 2013

May 28, 2015 02:29 |  #3

that video kinda made me sick:-)

mike parker
gear list 5dc, tamron 19-35, tamron 28-75, 50mm 1.8 mark 1, 28-70 3.5 canon(x2), 100 f/2 canon, 70-300 usm is, helios 44-2, vpk lens put into a m42 cap attached to a bellows, 430 ex

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,580 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 28, 2015 08:32 |  #4

I was on my third filter on my FD 50 f1.4 when it got stolen. I discarded the previous two after they acquired enough scratches to be iffy. I don't care what people say about the toughness of the front element, sand with quartz grains will do it in.

I have filters on all my lenses except the Σ 8-16 with its huge bulbous front element... I always use the hood once the lens is out and I often remove the filter when shooting at a venue with many sources of light to avoid any accidental flares.

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,354 posts
Gallery: 1718 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

May 28, 2015 09:02 |  #5

Heya,

I've dropped stuff, with and without filters. The lens was never damaged either way.

You're just going to hear a lot of subjective experiences.

If you're truly interested, look for someone who had plenty of quality filters and quality lenses available for a torture test with a control. Even then, unless it was performed like 100 times to get any kind of statistical relevance, it's going to be a fairly subject example of each.

Bottom line is, use a filter if you want to.
And don't, if you don't want to.

I use filters when I want the effect that the filter does. I don't use it for protection. The only screw on filter I use are ND filters & CPL's anyways. I don't bother with clear/uv/haze filters. They're essentially pointless. And I shoot in salt spray all the time filterless with a 95mm diameter lens, amongst other lenses, from a kayak on the ocean. Just clean your gear later. This is just my use though (or lack of use).

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,870 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by Wilt. (7 edits in all)

May 28, 2015 09:51 |  #6

I had a zoom lens with a filter decades ago. When I suddenly turned around while walking thru an ancient castle along the Rhine, the camera swung out, smacking the lens at an angle right into a wall, while on a shoulder strap. Filter was undamaged.

The lens' zoom mechanism was not undamaged...it would no longer operate at the widest angle settings of the zoom. It had to be sent to the manufacturer's repair center to make it work properly again.

The above story illustrates that a filter may TRANSMIT FORCE to the lens, and the accidental breaking of filter glass itself is not necessarily indicative of the 'protective' properties of the filter. Filters, besides modifying light, may serve to provide some protection from wind blown sand at the beach, it may afford some degree of moisture resistance completion in the Canon lens, and it may provide a more easily cleanable surface for removal of salt-laden spray/mist. Any other 'protection' afforded, such as from impact related damage, is purely coincidental.

I have posted links to several other past posts on POTN, in which the hood served as a lever arm to break the lens in HALF, even during a fairly innocuous fall from the front seat of a car to the car floor. Hoods protect from FLARE, they can BOTH cause physical damage or they can prevent physical damage -- just like a filter!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Copidosoma
Goldmember
1,017 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2009

May 28, 2015 10:26 |  #7

Canon/Nikon
APS-c/FF
filter/no filter
35mm/50mm

Use what works for you. There is no right answer.

Personally, I use the lens cap/hood unless I know I am in areas with alot of blowing sand/water etc.

Gear: 7DII | 6D | Fuji X100s |Sigma 24A, 50A, 150-600C |24-105L |Samyang 14 2.8|Tamron 90mm f2.8 |and some other stuff
http://www.shutterstoc​k.com/g/copidosoma (external link)
https://500px.com/chri​s_kolaczan (external link)

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

May 28, 2015 11:19 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

Copidosoma wrote in post #17574608 (external link)

Use what works for you. There is no right answer.

Personally, I use the lens cap/hood unless I know I am in areas with alot of blowing sand/water etc.

I agree with this.

I've never had a filter prevent damage, but I've never dropped a filtered lens. I have dropped hooded lenses and had the hood 'save' the lens.

Each lens is different. Each shooter is different. Each shooting environment is different. Each drop is different.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

msowsun
Cream of the Crop
9,243 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

May 28, 2015 11:27 |  #9

Many years ago I had my EOS 630 film camera and 28-70 in a small camera bag while on vacation.

The hotel shuttle driver managed to drop my bag about 4 feet and I guess it landed on the front of the lens. The lens cap and filter were in place but the lens was damaged and needed to be repaired. The filter just transferred the impact force right to the lens. After that I stopped using filters.

Mike Sowsun / S110 / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

Windsun33
138 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 28, 2015 11:35 |  #10

I often use a filter and/or hood, but I have little expectations of either saving the lens from any physical damage. It's primary benefit is keeping dust, water splashes, and such off of the lens glass.

Canon EOS 6D EOS 70D | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | Canon Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX Speedlite 600EX-RT

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

May 28, 2015 11:42 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

msowsun wrote in post #17574683 (external link)
Many years ago I had my EOS 630 film camera and 28-70 in a small camera bag while on vacation.

The hotel shuttle driver managed to drop my bag about 4 feet and I guess it landed on the front of the lens. The lens cap and filter were in place but the lens was damaged and needed to be repaired. The filter just transferred the impact force right to the lens. After that I stopped using filters.

Interesting. I've heard this kind of story before. I actually stopped using filters when I saw what they did to the IQ of my 100-400L. That lens is unique in its disdain for filters.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,118 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 28, 2015 15:48 as a reply to  @ DreDaze's post |  #12

however the coatings do scratch easily. I've been using filters more and more recently due to microscratches on the element, I pretty much never use either lens caps for my lenses, too fiddly in the field. I have a few scuffed lenses, so said screw it and started using circular protection filters again. I'm just tired of minor knicks on elements, and having to disclose those problems when I sell it.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Patrick ­ H
128 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by Patrick H.

May 28, 2015 16:36 |  #13

Depends on the situation, but I find I am using filters more often. I dont hang a camera from my neck. If I dont have my finger on the shutter it is in my padded bag, so is generally safe. My issue has always been finger prints and putting caps on. My trip next week will see a clear filter on my 135L, which now lives on my body. I will probably omit the cap so i am quick on the draw.

5D mkIV | 35Lii | 135L | + some zooms.

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,580 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 28, 2015 18:50 |  #14

Charlie wrote in post #17575047 (external link)
however the coatings do scratch easily. I've been using filters more and more recently due to microscratches on the element, I pretty much never use either lens caps for my lenses, too fiddly in the field. I have a few scuffed lenses, so said screw it and started using circular protection filters again. I'm just tired of minor knicks on elements, and having to disclose those problems when I sell it.

Charlie, if you use pinch caps and there is a hood in place, you can easily take the cap off/put it on with the hood acting as a funnel. I have replaced all my non-pinch Canon caps with 3d party pinch caps. YMMV.

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,580 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 28, 2015 18:55 |  #15

Patrick H wrote in post #17575098 (external link)
Depends on the situation, but I find I am using filters more often. I dont hang a camera from my neck. If I dont have my finger on the shutter it is in my padded bag, so is generally safe. My issue has always been finger prints and putting caps on. My trip next week will see a clear filter on my 135L, which now lives on my body. I will probably omit the cap so i am quick on the draw.

I had a horse lick my lens once! He came from the side, as I was shooting one further away and... slurp!

I took the filter off and put it under the faucet... I wouldn't do that with the EF 70-200...:-P:twisted:

Lesson learned, take the time to reverse the hood, even if it is fifteen minutes past the sunset...

Gerry

sponsored links

5,433 views & 6 likes for this thread
poll using filter hurt or helped a lens from scratch/breaking
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.