Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 15 Jun 2015 (Monday) 23:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

SkyNet has become Self Aware...

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,899 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Jun 22, 2015 02:42 |  #31

nope can't say I have. I haven't sat in front of any crt in many many years.

but it does remind me of the film vs digital debate.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

sponsored links
Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 22, 2015 05:44 |  #32

Mark0159 wrote in post #17606088 (external link)
nope can't say I have. I haven't sat in front of any crt in many many years.

Black levels and contrast ratio are still the nagging points with LCD displays, and it's noticeable even in my high-end NEC that is otherwise peerless in other aspects, which should've been sorted with OLED and similar technologies, but those aren't suitable for monitor use it seems. Not that I think that black levels need to be insanely deep on a graphics display, for print simulation most displays will reduce brightness and contrast anyway, since paper doesn't glow.

Ultimately, you could always put in a pre-order for this guy: http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …4k_4096x2160_ip​s_lcd.html (external link)
It has a 1500:1 CR among other things, which if they state the calibrated value, gives it a good 50~80% more contrast than other color-accurate displays. Throw in a Quadro for 10-bit color, and you'll never need another display for-freaking-ever.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
50,004 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 4 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Jun 22, 2015 11:02 |  #33

Well, I could get a multi $K Eizo, or even a good NEC for over a grand, and then I'd be close to the FW500 which I paid for back in 2000....

I was contemplating a new main screen when i was pulling my hair out getting the intel to cooperate. But if the fix is a free t me (or even cheap) graphics card, then why bother.

One of the other aspects of CRT Vs. LCD that many do not mention, is "Shapness", now do not confuse this with things like text legibility, as they can be polar opposites.

The Dell IPS that sits next to the CRT displays all images sharper then the CRT. This is a bad thing, as the sharpness is artificial. It is not in the image. With the LCD every dot is an individual and of you get in close you can see it. This lends a super defined look to an image when viewed at correct distance. The CRT pixels have a mcro bleed that is very similar to what occurs when you put a micr droplet of ink onto paper.

We can find some advantages for the CRT for someone working on images for printing.

Any image I have output sharpened for printing will look fantastic on the CRT. It will look sharp and correct. That same image on my LCD looks over-sharpened.

When using as LCD to proof, I can not gauge the level of sharpening required until I print. Prints need (or can sustain) a good deal more sharpening than when viewing on an LCD.

I get called out on this often on the forum with images I post, "way too heavy on the sharpening" etc. and this is due to the fact that I am seeing it looking good on my CRT, and it will print well, whereas most reading now on the forum are seeing it on an LCD.

While at the same time text on the CRT is much easier to read, the additional smoothing of the text makes it less harsh and more readable.

Obviously some day this monitor will die.
Until that time whatever I can do to use it, I will try :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
50,004 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 22, 2015 11:10 |  #34

Mark0159 wrote in post #17606088 (external link)

At first I did not see the comparison, but with some thought I think you are closer to the way of it than you imagined.

Even in the beginning digital had some advantages over film, while the rest of the playing field needed more evolution before digital caught up, and then eventually surpassed film for most needs.

LCDs have been in much the same kind of foot race, and in recent years they have won on pretty much all fronts, just like digital vs. film.
However, there are still some places where film wins, and ten years ago there were many more.
LCDs have clearly won. You can't buy a new CRT anymore (for all intents and purposes) and the LCD advantages are many. But it took a very long time. Longer than Digital Vs, Film IMHO, (film ,a also something hard to buy now ) and there are still some places where the CRT wins.

If I were a gamer, I'd be all over the big CRT still as the beautiful IPS is pants at FPS.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 22, 2015 14:17 |  #35

Get the 24" NEC 4K display and you won't have a problem with sharpness, the pixel density will be way too high for the pixel structure to get in the way, and it's about the same screen size as your CRT.

But I feel that this is a personal point as I've had the opposite experience. Namely, I bought a new camera while visiting a friend in New York, and his 5K iMac was the only computer I could get my first look at my images on, and I was impressed by the clarity of the image.
Going back to my same-size display back home but with 4x less pixels, I noticed that images weren't as sharp as I initially thought, because pixel-level blur or mis-focus were obscured by being unable to visually discern pixels. Essentially, viewing images at 100% magnification on his display is like inspecting images at 50% on mine. This can of course be remedied by using 200% on 4/5K displays instead, but it threw me off initially.

I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
50,004 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 22, 2015 14:20 |  #36

In all honesty I've never looked at a 4K screen!
My comparison above has been with more conventional (or old) LCD screen resolutions.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 22, 2015 14:33 |  #37

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17606666 (external link)
In all honesty I've never looked at a 4K screen!
My comparison above has been with more conventional (or old) LCD screen resolutions.

You should, it's rather impressive for what it is.

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17606464 (external link)
If I were a gamer, I'd be all over the big CRT still as the beautiful IPS is pants at FPS.

Allow me then to introduce you to the Acer XB270HU: http://www.tftcentral.​co.uk/reviews/acer_xb2​70hu.htm (external link)
144hz, 27" 1440p IPS panel, Nvidia G-Sync, 2.75ms input lag, and 6.9ms GtG.

Essentially, this monitor is so fast, that it can update and put out images as fast as it's frame rate, which is astonishing fast.

Alternatively, you can put it into ULMB mode and have it strobe at 100hz for CRT-like motion, or 85hz if you prefer.

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
50,004 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 22, 2015 16:21 |  #38

Shifting gears from Monitors to drive speed..  :p

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 23, 2015 03:54 |  #39

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17606776 (external link)
Shifting gears from Monitors to drive speed..  :p

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by CyberDyneSystems in
./showthread.php?p=176​06776&i=i33811019
forum: Computers

Gotta love that Samsung software eh?

sponsored links

6,989 views & 5 likes for this thread
SkyNet has become Self Aware...
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.