Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Jun 2015 (Sunday) 22:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Camera batteries

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,898 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by mwsilver. (3 edits in all)

Jul 14, 2015 13:31 |  #31

Phoenixkh wrote in post #17630659 (external link)
I've purchased Sterlingtek batteries from them direct and from Amazon. I've added three Sterlingtek batteries to three bodies now, so I have two battery changes each for each body and grip.

I had one problem with one of the three I purchased for my 7D2. I contacted Amazon and they credited my card immediately. A few days later, I got an email from Sterlingtek themselves, telling me they were sending me another battery. I emailed them back and let them know Amazon had already taken care of things so I didn't a battery from them. They told me they were sending me a replacement anyway.

I realize we all have different experiences but with my 60D, 70D ... over time.... in both cases, the Sterlingtek batteries kept their performance longer than the Canon batteries. I don't know yet with the 7D2 as I've only had it since November 2014.

What is the voltage of the Sterlingtek.? The Canon LP-e6N has a voltage of 7.2 volts. Some of the 3rd part batteries have a voltage of 7.4 volts or more. A Canon tech advised me today that batteries with a higher than specified 7.2 volts should not be used on the 7DMark II and implied that a higher voltage could potentially cause damage. He also indicated that very often 3rd party batteries don't communicate properly with the camera. I've seen that myself since the extra Watson battery supplied by B&H doesn't communicate remaining power with my 7D II correctly and can go down 20% in a few minutes and then go back up five minutes later.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

sponsored links
Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,838 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Jul 14, 2015 13:41 |  #32

mwsilver wrote in post #17631449 (external link)
What is the voltage of the Sterlingtek.? The Canon LP-e6N has a voltage of 7.2 volts. Some of the 3rd part batteries have a voltage of 7.4 volts or more. A Canon tech advised me today that batteries with a higher than specified 7.2 volts should not be used on the 7DMark II and implied that a higher voltage could potentially cause damage. He also indicated that very often 3rd party batteries don't communicate properly with the camera. I've seen that myself since the extra Watson battery supplied by B&H doesn't communicate remaining power correctly and can go down 20% in a few minutes and then go back up five minutes later.

I just checked and you are correct... the voltage on the Sterlingtek batteries are 7.4 volts and have a higher mAh rating. I've been using them since November with no apparent conflicts. They all report in the menu and the remaining power drains just like the Canon batteries. I have been using them since I got my 60D in 2012.

Of course, your mileage may vary. I don't claim to be an expert by any means.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

SYS
Cream of the Crop
10,088 posts
Gallery: 223 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Jul 14, 2015 13:55 |  #33

Having switched to Wasabi batteries, I've never purchased another OEM Canon.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,898 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 14, 2015 15:21 |  #34

Phoenixkh wrote in post #17631457 (external link)
I just checked and you are correct... the voltage on the Sterlingtek batteries are 7.4 volts and have a higher mAh rating. I've been using them since November with no apparent conflicts. They all report in the menu and the remaining power drains just like the Canon batteries. I have been using them since I got my 60D in 2012.

Of course, your mileage may vary. I don't claim to be an expert by any means.

I'm glad your experience is a positive one. I've always purchased Canon OEM batteries. This was the first time I've used a 3rd party battery with my cameras. In fact when I purchased my 7D iI, I also purchased a 2nd Watson battery thinking if B&H was including one free with the camera I could have more confidence in it. Turns out both batteries behave identically on my camera and neither communicates properly. B&H sells the Watsons for $39 and the genuine Canon LP-e6N for $62. That's a difference of only $23. Not that much more expensive for use on a $1500 body. As of today I have 3 genuine Canon batteries and will probably never purchase a 3rd party battery again. Once burned twice shy.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,898 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 14, 2015 15:24 |  #35

SYS wrote in post #17631466 (external link)
Having switched to Wasabi batteries, I've never purchased another OEM Canon.

Are you using the Wasabi in a Canon 7D Mark II? Newer Canon bodies communicate more with the batteries than older bodies.

Mark

oldvultureface
Goldmember
4,257 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 14, 2015 15:36 |  #36

What is the voltage of the Sterlingtek.? The Canon LP-e6N has a voltage of 7.2 volts. Some of the 3rd part batteries have a voltage of 7.4 volts or more. A Canon tech advised me today that batteries with a higher than specified 7.2 volts should not be used on the 7DMark II and implied that a higher voltage could potentially cause damage.

The tech had some bologna for lunch and was trying to feed you what was left over. ;-)a

The individual cells (two) in the battery pack can be referred to as either 3.6 or 3.7 volts nominal. The fully charged voltage of an individual cell is 4.2 volts regardless of the nominal voltage, 8.4 volts when combined in series. The only real difference might be capacity. The voltages are the same.

SYS
Cream of the Crop
10,088 posts
Gallery: 223 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Jul 14, 2015 15:41 |  #37

mwsilver wrote in post #17631571 (external link)
Are you using the Wasabi in a Canon 7D Mark II? Newer Canon bodies communicate more with the batteries than older bodies.

In my 5DIII. Works great.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

hdt4916
57 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Jul 14, 2015 16:20 |  #38

I bought my first 7D Mark II from B&H. Initially, this particular body experienced a battery drain issue. I swapped several different brands of battery, it didn't help resolving the problem. Canon tech support suggested to get the replacement body. B&H was very helpful to replace a second body. I was glad that it worked out fine.

Currently, I bought a Canon battery grip, with several aftermarket batteries. No more issue with battery drain again.

The OEM Canon battery is much more expensive. I just have 2 Sterling Tech or Wasabi brand. They both work fine with the grip.

Good lucks,

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,091 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 14, 2015 17:20 |  #39

What is the voltage of the Sterlingtek.? The Canon LP-e6N has a voltage of 7.2 volts. Some of the 3rd part batteries have a voltage of 7.4 volts or more. A Canon tech advised me today that batteries with a higher than specified 7.2 volts should not be used on the 7DMark II and implied that a higher voltage could potentially cause damage. He also indicated that very often 3rd party batteries don't communicate properly with the camera. I've seen that myself since the extra Watson battery supplied by B&H doesn't communicate remaining power with my 7D II correctly and can go down 20% in a few minutes and then go back up five minutes later.

Well the Canon Tech would say that wouldn't he/she!
The voltage of the battery is controlled by it's chemistry NOT it's manufacturer! The "Correct" nominal voltage of a 2 cell Lithium Ion battery pack is 7.4 volts (3.7v per cell). 7.2 volts is the nominal voltage for a 6 cell NiCad or Nimh battery pack - nice one Canon Tech!
Any of the above battery packs mentioned will yield over 8 volts, especially straight off the charger. Get yourself a cheap meter and try it for yourself.
As to the Canon Tech - they obviously have no idea of battery chemistry (not surprising!) or more likely have been briefed to decry anything that is not Canon.

The reason for the lack of communication with the camera is that Canon (and others) specifically install a chip to prevent non OEM batteries from communicating with the camera so that users get nervous about using non OEM batteries. This is just an inconvenience to make me spend 140+ GBP on a Canon LP-E4n rather than my 13.50 GBP non OEMs that work perfectly in my 1DX - they didn't succeed!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

bpalermini
Goldmember
1,396 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 14, 2015 17:58 |  #40

johnf3f wrote in post #17631704 (external link)
. . . my 13.50 GBP non OEMs that work perfectly in my 1DX - they didn't succeed!

Where did you find a third party LP-E4n? Or are you using a Wasabi LP-E4 in your 1DX?

Bob Palermini
1DX, 5DIV, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 100-400L II, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,898 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by mwsilver.

Jul 15, 2015 00:05 |  #41

johnf3f wrote in post #17631704 (external link)
Well the Canon Tech would say that wouldn't he/she!
The voltage of the battery is controlled by it's chemistry NOT it's manufacturer! The "Correct" nominal voltage of a 2 cell Lithium Ion battery pack is 7.4 volts (3.7v per cell). 7.2 volts is the nominal voltage for a 6 cell NiCad or Nimh battery pack - nice one Canon Tech!
Any of the above battery packs mentioned will yield over 8 volts, especially straight off the charger. Get yourself a cheap meter and try it for yourself.
As to the Canon Tech - they obviously have no idea of battery chemistry (not surprising!) or more likely have been briefed to decry anything that is not Canon.

The reason for the lack of communication with the camera is that Canon (and others) specifically install a chip to prevent non OEM batteries from communicating with the camera so that users get nervous about using non OEM batteries. This is just an inconvenience to make me spend 140+ GBP on a Canon LP-E4n rather than my 13.50 GBP non OEMs that work perfectly in my 1DX - they didn't succeed!

Well, regardless, whether the voltage difference between the Genuine Canon LP-e6N, marked as 7.2 volts, and the Watson version marked at at 7.4 volts has any practical meaning, one thing is for certain. The two Watson batteries I have did not communicate remaining capacity accurately or consistently and therefore are useless to me. Since the Watson's sell for $39 USD, and the Canon OEM's sell for $62 USD, the difference of only $23 is not worth giving up the ability to accurately monitor the capacity. You're get killed by the prices over there. The LP-e4N sells for $164 here, or around £104 GBP. Even if you're including VAT you're still getting slammed. I could certainly understand your reasoning when you can save over £125 per battery. But for me $23, which is only around £15, simply isn't worth the hassle.

Mark

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,838 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by Phoenixkh.

Jul 15, 2015 05:40 as a reply to  @ mwsilver's post |  #42

Mark,

I can understand your point. I paid $13.99 for each of my Sterlingtek batteries. The price isn't the only reason I buy them. They have lasted much longer than any of the Canon batteries that came with my camera bodies. They keep their performance rating as detailed by the camera body longer as well. The 7D2 does register the Sterlingteks, though that was an initial concern.

Add to that the higher mAh rating........ they even take more photographs per charge than my Canon batteries do.

I feel the way you do when it comes to battery grips. I paid around $700 for my 60D and couldn't justify the price difference between a 3rd party grip (around $35) and the Canon which was around $150 at the time. The 3rd party grip lasted for a year..... then while on vacation the batteries drained overnight with the grip on. I ended up getting the Canon grip and won't buy anything else now. You've had a bad experience with 3rd party batteries and made the same decision. I don't fault you for it.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,330 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited over 4 years ago by John from PA.

Jul 15, 2015 06:18 |  #43

Just a point of interest in comparing SterlingTek to Watson. SterlingTek makes the statement "Guaranteed to work with your camera" and Watson does not. OK, this could be just marketing hype but I have read reports here of people who purchased an STK battery and when a problem was reported to STK they obtained replacements that worked. It is one of the reasons I have said on this forum that the best source for any given battery is the manufacturer, as opposed to a source like eBay or even Amazon. By buying directly from STK or Wasabi, you are reasonably well assured the stock is both fresh and chipped properly.

I also think Watson is strictly a B&H brand. If you go to Watson's website and click on where to buy the only source seems to be B&H.

As a point of record, I have (60D) the original Canon battery and two STK's, all about three years old. The STK's seem to deliver better battery life but I would expect that as the labeled capacity is significantly higher than the Canon. But all three are fine after three years.

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,172 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined May 2008

Jul 15, 2015 06:57 |  #44

mwsilver wrote in post #17631571 (external link)

I use Wasabi and Sterling Tek batteries in both my 7D2 and 5D3 with no issues. They perform the same as the "Canon" batteries.

mwsilver wrote in post #17631566 (external link)
I'm glad your experience is a positive one. I've always purchased Canon OEM batteries. This was the first time I've used a 3rd party battery with my cameras. In fact when I purchased my 7D iI, I also purchased a 2nd Watson battery thinking if B&H was including one free with the camera I could have more confidence in it. Turns out both batteries behave identically on my camera and neither communicates properly. B&H sells the Watsons for $39 and the genuine Canon LP-e6N for $62. That's a difference of only $23. Not that much more expensive for use on a $1500 body. As of today I have 3 genuine Canon batteries and will probably never purchase a 3rd party battery again. Once burned twice shy.

Well, then B&H is overcharging for their 3rd party Watson battery. You can get Wasabi or Sterling Tek batteries on Amazon for under $15. That is less than 1/4th the cost of a battery with a Canon label printed on it. If you order two batteries, they even throw in a battery charger.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

pknight
Goldmember
2,671 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 15, 2015 08:17 |  #45

Like many, I received a Watson battery with my 7DII purchase from B&H. I have noticed some flaky battery life reports (low one moment, higher the next), but I have not noticed any shorter actual battery life. I don't fuss over the percentage of charge numbers, but when the low battery indicator starts to flash, I switch batteries out. I have not seen any difference in the number of shots I get with the Watson, the OEM battery, or two Wasabi batteries. The Watson was free, it works, I'm not worried.

Digital EOS 7D Mark II Canon: EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, Life-Size Converter EF Tamron: SP 17-50mm f/2.8 DiII, 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC HLD, SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2, SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD, 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 DiII VC HLD Sigma: 30mm f/1.4 DC Art Rokinon: 8mm f/3.5 AS IF UMC

sponsored links

11,972 views & 7 likes for this thread
Camera batteries
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.