Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
Thread started 05 Jul 2015 (Sunday) 20:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Before and After - The Weekly Editing Challenge

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 25, 2015 13:43 |  #46

After seeing what everyone else was coming up with, I was hesitant to get into this one. So, I didn't look at it for a few days and then took a stab at it this morning.

I was essentially just floundering and experimenting; started off by opening the three images as Photoshop layers and then aligning them. I wish now that I had done some of the adjustments in Camera Raw before starting, but I really didn't have any idea where I was heading with this. Anyway, I just goofed around with masking, blend modes, and adjustment layers, trying to bring out the foreground and some colors, but without losing the blown out sun and mist.

There's so much that could be done here and it's hard for me to resist starting over with more of a plan. I would love to have a Photoshop course based on this one image.

Thanks for the challenge,

Koert

IMAGE: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/gqu1wlslylgk6sv/contest7.jpg?dl=0

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

sponsored links
bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,644 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by bumpintheroad.

Jul 26, 2015 12:48 |  #47

Round 3 Wrap-Up

Wow, I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the great edits. It was very hard deciding which submission would get the win. One thing that was a bit disappointing is that nobody attempted to add any clouds to the sky. I was playing around myself with this set and can post what that looks like, if there's any interest. But here's my wrap-up and decision. Understand that all comments are purely subjective and you all did fine work.

First, the original image and challenge

bumpintheroad wrote in post #17636879 (external link)
If it is okay with everyone I'd like to do something a little different. I like the misty look of this sunrise scene but obviously in this SOOC image the sky is a bit bright and the foreground very dark. And the sky lacks drama. There's also some sensor dust visible. I shot three bracketed exposures, you can choose to work with one or HDR whichever you think work best. Here is the middle exposure:

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by bumpintheroad in
./showthread.php?p=176​36879&i=i119552260
forum: Competitions

The files are here: https://www.dropbox.co​m …WnMfoCkIJE83HI-MJFTa?dl=0 (external link).

Galix wrote in post #17637075 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Galix in
./showthread.php?p=176​37075&i=i219167674

On one hand I like the crop, but on the other it seems to me it leaves too much empty sky. I'd have liked to see more recovery in the shadows.

rrblint wrote in post #17637284 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by rrblint in
./showthread.php?p=176​37284&i=i227555353

Very nice. I like how the glow of the Sun's been emphasized and recovery of the shadow detail. The only thing that bothers me is all the foreground vegetation looks snowy. Admittedly it was early morning and everything was covered with dew.

NigelD wrote in post #17637406 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by NigelD in
./showthread.php?p=176​37406&i=i202895798

I think I know where you were going with this edit but it's bit overdone for my taste. The orange highlights are a unique touch, but the sky has gone brown, at least on my monitor calibration.

Benitoite wrote in post #17637523 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Benitoite in
./showthread.php?p=176​37523&i=i102942492

Very nice! It's a bit too "crunchy," maybe cutting a bit down on the contrast and detail enhancement. But the thing that put me off was the glow around the edges. I don't use DPP so I don't know how to reduce that effect.

Triplexbee wrote in post #17639113 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Triplexbee in
./showthread.php?p=176​39113&i=i108285327

I really like this edit. Good job at recovering the foliage without completely blowing-out the Sun. If anything, I think it should be just a tad darker. But I really like this one.

sidknee wrote in post #17639451 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by sidknee in
./showthread.php?p=176​39451&i=i263380013

At first I didn't like the crop. Then the more I looked at it, the more I liked it. Now I want to go back and shoot from further to the left so the Sun is closer to the trees. I do wish there was a bit more detail in the shadow though.

vertigo235 wrote in post #17639501 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/vnkc​4G  (external link) POTN Challenge (external link) by Josh Jones (external link), on Flickr

Wow! An impressive amount of work and it shows. I'd like to see this larger but for some reason I can't open it on Flickr.

tytlyf wrote in post #17643332 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by tytlyf in
./showthread.php?p=176​43332&i=i265147598

IMHO, this is the perfect exposure adjustment except that the sun and surrounding sky is blown-out.

cacawcacaw wrote in post #17644032 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

Very nice job for "not knowing where you were heading." I think you got the foreground exposure just about perfect but I don't like that huge washed-out sky around the sun or the color fringing around the trees on the left (probably due to wind moving the leaves between exposures).

As I said above it's so hard to choose "the best." But choose I must and so this week's challenge goes to Vertigo235:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Congratulations Vertigo235 and please post a photo for round 4!

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

Triplexbee
183 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2013

Jul 26, 2015 13:07 |  #48

Congratulations vertigo, very worthy winner. Top edit.

flickr (external link)

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
21,088 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Jul 26, 2015 13:30 |  #49

Congrats Vertigo, great work.

Mark

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by cacawcacaw.

Jul 26, 2015 13:47 |  #50

Good job Vertigo. And I'm glad I didn't have your edit open as I was doing mine - it would have been very tempting to copy it!

For me, the primary challenge in this edit (not counting my struggling through Photoshop techniques) was interpreting the image. With mist on the ground and shooting straight into the sun, I was tempted to start over and go even blurrier on some of the background and accentuate the blown out sun and lens flares. I guess my thinking is that, in real life, you'd be looking at this scene through squinted eyes.

I recently bought a piece of welder's glass to use as a neutral density filter. This would have been a good scene to experiment with - I wonder what the effect would have been; smoothing of anything that is slightly moving and maybe even more pronounced sun rays?

Anyway, this was a very good selection for this challenge. There was no easy or obvious solution. I tried to get rid of the color fringing on the trees but didn't have much luck.

Edit: I still had this open in Photoshop, so I thought I'd try adding some more lens flare and really emphasize the bright sun. While I was doing that, I found Filter | Render | Difference Clouds. Your idea to add clouds didn't sound good to me at first, but with a little more work, these very slight clouds could be pretty believable. In the future, I'll try to be aware of those cloud filters.

IMAGE: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/8as2tsrnnboa4y5/contest8.jpg?dl=0

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

vertigo235
Goldmember
2,009 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 26, 2015 13:52 |  #51

Wow! Thanks! I loved all the edits, I feel so special being chosen as the winner.

Here is the link to the original size, I only make my own photos public on Flickr so that's why the link doesn't work above.
https://farm1.staticfl​ickr.com …75737034_eee47f​4dc5_o.jpg (external link)

Let me dig through my library and find a good photo for next week, I should be able to put it up later today.

Canon EOS 6D EOS 5D Mark III | Apple Iphone 6 | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM EF 85mm f/1.8 USM EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM 50mm F1.4 DG HSM ART | Samyang 85mm f/1.4 AS UMC | Canon Speedlite 430EX II Speedlite 90EX | Yongnuo YN-468II

Benitoite
Goldmember
4,586 posts
Gallery: 416 photos
Joined Jan 2015

Jul 26, 2015 16:40 |  #52

Nice one Vertigo235. The pallette looks slick like a glossy print.

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,644 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by bumpintheroad.

Jul 26, 2015 16:45 |  #53

vertigo235 wrote in post #17645091 (external link)
Wow! Thanks! I loved all the edits, I feel so special being chosen as the winner.

Here is the link to the original size, I only make my own photos public on Flickr so that's why the link doesn't work above.
https://farm1.staticfl​ickr.com …75737034_eee47f​4dc5_o.jpg (external link)

Let me dig through my library and find a good photo for next week, I should be able to put it up later today.

Thanks for the link. Again, very nice work.

Cacawcacaw, I've found the free video series from Jimmy McIntyre to be a great resource for working with luminosity masks, and his free action panel is a huge timesaver. I'd start out with this video:

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=p9zUK8pOEgQ (external link)

Here is what I actually came up with myself:

HOSTED PHOTO

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

vertigo235
Goldmember
2,009 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 26, 2015 17:35 as a reply to  @ bumpintheroad's post |  #54

Wow those clouds are really cool!

Canon EOS 6D EOS 5D Mark III | Apple Iphone 6 | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM EF 85mm f/1.8 USM EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM 50mm F1.4 DG HSM ART | Samyang 85mm f/1.4 AS UMC | Canon Speedlite 430EX II Speedlite 90EX | Yongnuo YN-468II

vertigo235
Goldmember
2,009 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by vertigo235.

Jul 26, 2015 23:10 |  #55

Here ya go guys, see what you can do with this.

...now compiled into a single, easy to locate thread, that can be added to your subscribe/follow list!

Rules are simple:

• Download the image file from the current week

• Contestants will have 7 days to edit the image and post their edited version to the thread (1 entry per week)

• The owner of the original image will choose a winner

• The winner will copy & paste this post and include a new downloadable image link

The new image must be unedited / SOOC (straight our of camera), full-resolution, and in a RAW format, ie. CR2, DNG, TIF, etc
    (Dropbox works well for uploading and linking these large files)

The purpose of this game is to be creative and learn new editing techniques. You must give some insight into exactly how you went about editing the image. For example, increased shadows sliders, reduced highlights, local sharpening, white balance adjustment, specific filters used, tone curve adjustments, etc. Comments and/or questions regarding the edits are encouraged.

RAW
https://dl.dropboxuser​content.com …TN_Challenge/IM​G_6577.dng (external link)

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3704/20017554376_11e6fd6666_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/wuTc​vS  (external link) IMG_6577 (external link) by Josh Jones (external link), on Flickr

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
21,088 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Jul 27, 2015 00:46 |  #56

Crop, add color to sky, tweak contrast, highlights, shadows and vibrancy until I'm happy with it.

HOSTED PHOTO

Mark

Benitoite
Goldmember
4,586 posts
Gallery: 416 photos
Joined Jan 2015

Jul 27, 2015 01:53 |  #57

Layered in GIMP several results from LuminanceHDR (Mantiuk06, 08, Fatal overlay, Pattanaik) and tone mapped conversions from Rawtherapee. Final unsharp in GIMP.

HOSTED PHOTO

tytlyf
129 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by tytlyf.

Jul 27, 2015 13:09 |  #58

Highlight/shadow adjustment. Crop, dehaze, slight brush on ships. Saturation/vibrance/vi​gnette

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 6D - 16-35 F/4L IS - 24-105 F/4L IS
www.FLREphotography.co​m
flickr (external link)

Triplexbee
183 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Jul 29, 2015 08:47 |  #59

All Lightroom. Cropped, couple of grad filter runs, probably too much painting with the brush and the standard levels and vibrancy adjust.

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)

dropmyload
642 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined May 2011

Jul 30, 2015 00:55 |  #60

Tried my best...this is a tough shot ;-)a

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 80D, Canon 100-400L, EF 50 II
Fuji X-T20, 18-55 2.8-4, Samyang 12/2
Vivitar 28/2.5 RE, Auto-Topcor 3.5cm/2.8, Helios 44-2, Meyer Optik Gorlitz Trioplan 100/2.8, Tele Lentar 135/2.8, Soligor 180/3.5
Yongnuo 468II, 565 EX & some 622C
My Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

262,729 views & 2,901 likes for this thread
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.