Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
Thread started 09 Jul 2015 (Thursday) 20:56
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Gallery : When or why are you adding a picture in your POTN Gallery … or not ?"
I didn’t know that we can have a personal Gallery on POTN
0%
I would like but i do not know how to add pictures in my POTN Gallery
0%
What ? When i post a picture, it does not add it automatically to my POTN gallery ?
0%
I add a picture to my Gallery when i didn’t forget to add it
12.9%
I add a picture to my gallery when the picture got some “Likes” only
0%
I add only the best of the best of my pictures
32.3%
I add Always, i like to share my pictures (the best, the good, the bad and the ugly)
22.6%
I add Always, it’s a photography forum after all, people can learn from my Gallery
9.7%
I add Always, to get a lot more chance to be seen and have comments
0%
I add Always, by habit/have to use to add them to my POTN Gallery
0%
I add Always, i am very proud about each of my photographs
6.5%
I add Always, i don’t care what people will think about me
0%
I add Always, POTN is a kind of my portfolio
3.2%
I Never add, i don’t care
9.7%
I Never add, i have already my own Gallery
0%
I Never add, i am too shy with my photographs
0%
I Never add, i do not want people able to judge me on the POTN gallery
0%
I Never add, I post pictures on POTN just to send people to MY own gallery
0%
I Never add, i do not want to share my knowledge by showing a gallery on POTN
0%
I just like to vote
0%
Because it 2 choices vote, i’d like to vote a second time
3.2%

25 voters, 31 votes given (2 choices choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gallery : When or why are you adding a picture in your POTN Gallery … or not ?

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,278 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Jul 09, 2015 20:56 |  #1

I am quite curious why some people post a lot of pictures and do not add to the POTN gallery or why they add it.

Yes some vote questions might be for fun purpose, because it might be long to read ;)

Feel free to develop your answers (2 choices) it might be very interesting

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

sponsored links
Reservoir ­ Dog
THREAD ­ STARTER
A Band Apart
3,278 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Jul 09, 2015 22:14 |  #2

:oops: thank you Jon for moving it to the right place
:-)

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

Joe52
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Gallery: 151 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 23, 2015 04:58 |  #3

I've tried a number of times to add images to my gallery, but I keep getting the message "Oops! Error "67" occurred, sorry. Please try again later" :cry:

My 500px (external link)

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jul 23, 2015 06:58 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

I never add anything to my POTN gallery. The shots I post are usually to illustrate some photographic point or principle. Most of my shooting is my family, which includes 7 cats and 2 dogs. Nobody wants to see my boring snapshots of my cats.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
14,584 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 23, 2015 11:51 |  #5

I stopped adding simply because I really dont want to manage two galleries. There was no easy way to share gallery photos, so for me I dont see a point of it. I can easily share stuff on flickr, but not as easy to share/manage gallery items.

Sony A7rii/A7riii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
17,699 posts
Gallery: 267 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 23, 2015 12:23 |  #6

I add images to my gallery for two reasons:

1. for the gear database - meta data can only be searched in images that are in a gallery and I will add an image if I think it shows really nicely what that combination of camera and lens can do. A lot of people ask about how this or that lens performs on this or that camera. So adding images to one's gallery adds information to the gear database and can be helpful to people. Images I add to my gallery for this reason do have to be nice, but they most certainly don't have to be my best.

2. the image is really nice

As the gear database is not mentioned in the poll, I didn't vote. :)

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,548 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001
Post edited over 2 years ago by Pekka.

Jul 23, 2015 17:37 |  #7

Joe52 wrote in post #17641273 (external link)
I've tried a number of times to add images to my gallery, but I keep getting the message "Oops! Error "67" occurred, sorry. Please try again later" :cry:

I checked this and the error really means the image extension .jpg~original is not a "proper" image extension so it was rejected. Forums do not allow scripted images or unknown extensions/MIME types.

BTW, what is the purpose of that ~original naming?

I'll make it possible to use that extension with photobucket.com, the update having that code will happen quite soon now. Then your images can be added to the gallery.

EDIT: added the fix already. Please try adding to gallery now.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,548 posts
Joined Mar 2001

Jul 23, 2015 17:40 |  #8

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17641350 (external link)
I never add anything to my POTN gallery. The shots I post are usually to illustrate some photographic point or principle. Most of my shooting is my family, which includes 7 cats and 2 dogs. Nobody wants to see my boring snapshots of my cats.

Better not make guesses what people like until you hear from them. :)
Cat photos are very popular, who does not like cat photos???

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,548 posts
Joined Mar 2001

Jul 23, 2015 17:54 |  #9

Charlie wrote in post #17641682 (external link)
There was no easy way to share gallery photos, so for me I dont see a point of it.

Could you elaborate this a bit, please?

Do you mean sharing the image on Facebook etc?

In POTN adding a photo to gallery means the photo is displayed on many places in the forums, and that will lead people to your post. Usually one posts because you want to your photos to be seen and share your thoughts for discussion and comments. Adding photos to your gallery acts as a visual pointer to your posts and as a showcase/portfolio of your photography. If you happen to be added to the best of gallery, that will increase hits to your posts even more.

Then you have a https://photography-on-the.net …embergallery.ph​p?m=118310 which you can share as a link in anywhere.

Joe52
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Gallery: 151 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 24, 2015 02:20 |  #10

Pekka wrote in post #17642104 (external link)
I checked this and the error really means the image extension .jpg~original is not a "proper" image extension so it was rejected. Forums do not allow scripted images or unknown extensions/MIME types.

BTW, what is the purpose of that ~original naming?

I'll make it possible to use that extension with photobucket.com, the update having that code will happen quite soon now. Then your images can be added to the gallery.

EDIT: added the fix already. Please try adding to gallery now.

Thanks Pekka, it's working now ;-)aI have no idea why photobucket add "original" at the end, it is odd.

My 500px (external link)

joayne
Cream of the Crop
12,461 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 24, 2015 02:31 |  #11

Pekka has been summoned.. Always ready to adapt the GUI to those in need  :p:love:

joayne Contribute to POTN | Where's Nifty?! #2 |Nifty Sign Up List| Worldwide Photo Week

Charlie
14,584 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 24, 2015 12:59 |  #12

Pekka wrote in post #17642125 (external link)
Could you elaborate this a bit, please?

Do you mean sharing the image on Facebook etc?

In POTN adding a photo to gallery means the photo is displayed on many places in the forums, and that will lead people to your post. Usually one posts because you want to your photos to be seen and share your thoughts for discussion and comments. Adding photos to your gallery acts as a visual pointer to your posts and as a showcase/portfolio of your photography. If you happen to be added to the best of gallery, that will increase hits to your posts even more.

Then you have a https://photography-on-the.net …embergallery.ph​p?m=118310 which you can share as a link in anywhere.

I mean sharing a photo in multiple threads with IMG blocks. For instance, sharing a photo in a camera gear thread as well as nature thread. If I have a gallery of photos, there should be an easy way to share to multiple threads as inline images rather than grab links from flickr, there should be some way to grab links from POTN, possibly from a floating gallery on the left that exists now when you browse someone's gallery.

Currently, I just see people grab from flickr, no reason to really bother with gallery.

Sony A7rii/A7riii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,548 posts
Joined Mar 2001

Jul 24, 2015 16:00 |  #13

Charlie wrote in post #17642947 (external link)
I mean sharing a photo in multiple threads with IMG blocks. For instance, sharing a photo in a camera gear thread as well as nature thread. If I have a gallery of photos, there should be an easy way to share to multiple threads as inline images rather than grab links from flickr, there should be some way to grab links from POTN, possibly from a floating gallery on the left that exists now when you browse someone's gallery.

Currently, I just see people grab from flickr, no reason to really bother with gallery.

Thanks for the info. Adding photos from your gallery to the post is on the to do list. Not in the next update (in a few days) but I plan to make it happen on the next one.

Charlie
14,584 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 24, 2015 16:29 |  #14

Pekka wrote in post #17643101 (external link)
Thanks for the info. Adding photos from your gallery to the post is on the to do list. Not in the next update (in a few days) but I plan to make it happen on the next one.

I'm thinking there should be a floating gallery tab to the left so that it can slide in and out for quick access. Another way to streamline would be a toggle to autogallery; I think it's gotta be dead simple otherwise folks not likely to use it.

Nathan
So boring
7,704 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by Nathan.

Jul 24, 2015 21:38 |  #15

I SOMETIMES add... basically when I feel like it or when I think to.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

sponsored links

3,324 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gallery : When or why are you adding a picture in your POTN Gallery … or not ?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.