Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 10 Jul 2015 (Friday) 22:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I saw something at B&H: UPS throwing every package

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,444 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 21, 2015 22:53 |  #76

Erik S. Klein wrote in post #17676228 (external link)
UPS wears brown for a reason.

I won't ship anything that I value with UPS or the USPS.

So what you guys use? Fedex can't be any better.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

sponsored links
Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,039 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 22, 2015 19:58 |  #77

bobbyz wrote in post #17678233 (external link)
So what you guys use? Fedex can't be any better.

FedEx is far better and more respectful of other people's stuff than UPS. Not perfect, but much better. USPS doesn't even factor in here.

The biggest difference, in my experience, is that FedEx actually honors their insurance. UPS does what they can to dodge payment and the USPS has such a customer-hostile process in place that you're usually willing to walk away rather than try to navigate it... If you do the earliest you'll ever be compensated is 90 days from filing.

I've had multiple claims with all three and FedEx pays quickly and fairly and usually returns the damaged items as well.

I had a FedEx package delivered with damaged contents, called in a claim and had the driver pick it up the next day. The following day (two days after delivery) I was able to dive over to the FedEx depot and collect a check as well as my damaged item...

UPS will delay, criticize packaging, argue value and whatever else they can do to frustrate you into going away.

I have a FedEx account and use it for whatever I can. I use UPS only when the shipper insists. I use the USPS for disposable items only.

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

NASS ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,883 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 23, 2015 14:28 |  #78

I guess it depends where you live, and who delivers. UPS comes to my door, and rings the bell, and then leaves, if it does not need to be signed for. FedEx comes up the driveway, and leaves the packages in front of the garage door. No ringing the bell. No nothing. This happens all the time. Could be the same driver. Do not know. Never get to see the person.

NickS

Canon 5DMIII; Canon EF35mm, f/1.4L; EF85mm, f/1.8; EF135mm, f/2.0L; EF200mm, f/2.8L.

PhotosGuy
75,877 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 23, 2015 15:52 |  #79

mikeinctown wrote in post #17676225 (external link)
if you think the UPS guy tossing stuff into the truck is bad, check out what they did to an order shipped to me a couple weeks back.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/xfUh​pq  (external link) 20150720_101429 (external link) by mikeinctown (external link), on Flickr

That's impressive! I'd like to hear their excuse for how it happened by accident. (Like that's ever going to happen!)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

TheFloridaShooter
713 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 29, 2015 18:34 |  #80

I have to complete disagree. My UPS driver is very respectful and professional. I can even text him if necessary. On the other hand the FedEx driver in our community drives like a mad man and tosses the packages on the doorsteps

1Dx MKII | 1Dx | 5D MKIV | 5D MKIII | 5Ds r | 5Ds | 7D MKII | 7D | G16 | G3x | EOS M & M3 | 800 f5.6 | 600 f4 | 400 f2.8 | 300 f2.8 | 200-400 f4 | 100-400 f4.5 - 5.6 II x 2 | 70-200 f2.8 | 14 f2.8 II | 50 f1.2 | 50 1.4 | 85 f1.2 | 135 f2 | 24-70 f2.8 II | 11-24 f4 | 35 f1.4 II | Pentax 645Z | SMC Pentax-DA 645 25mm F4 AL | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL | Pentax 90mm f/2.8 D FA 645 Macro ED AW SR | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 200mm f/4 IF | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 300mm f/4 ED IF | SMC FA 645 400mm f/5.6 ED IF Lens

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,039 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 30, 2015 11:34 |  #81

TheFloridaShooter wrote in post #17687987 (external link)
I have to complete disagree. My UPS driver is very respectful and professional. I can even text him if necessary. On the other hand the FedEx driver in our community drives like a mad man and tosses the packages on the doorsteps

I base my opinion on a wider sample than one driver from each company.

Just because the last guy to touch your package is respectful and professional doesn't mean that it wasn't tossed onto the truck, into the cargo container, back into the next truck, into the sorting bin and so on.

Even with today's automation most packages are handled by a half dozen or more people between source and destination.

In my experience, based on the condition of arrivals, FedEx does a much, much better job of respecting other people's property than does UPS. The USPS doesn't even come close.

Funny story: The local USPS offices used to be open plan meaning that the space behind the counter was open to the rest of the facility and customers could see the USPS workers "work." It got to a point where the post office was fielding numerous complaints about idle workers, mishandled packages and so on. Their solution? Build a wall between the customer area and the rest of the facility...

But you're right about FedEx drivers being maniacs. That may well be universal... ;)

Gear List

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,898 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 30, 2015 22:03 |  #82

Erik S. Klein wrote in post #17688688 (external link)
I base my opinion on a wider sample than one driver from each company.

Just because the last guy to touch your package is respectful and professional doesn't mean that it wasn't tossed onto the truck, into the cargo container, back into the next truck, into the sorting bin and so on.

Even with today's automation most packages are handled by a half dozen or more people between source and destination.

In my experience, based on the condition of arrivals, FedEx does a much, much better job of respecting other people's property than does UPS. The USPS doesn't even come close.

Funny story: The local USPS offices used to be open plan meaning that the space behind the counter was open to the rest of the facility and customers could see the USPS workers "work." It got to a point where the post office was fielding numerous complaints about idle workers, mishandled packages and so on. Their solution? Build a wall between the customer area and the rest of the facility...

But you're right about FedEx drivers being maniacs. That may well be universal... ;)

I can only speak about my experience. We buy practically everything online these days. and haven't had a missing or damaged package from UPS since we've been living at our current address, That's over eleven years The same can be said of FedEx up until last week when a package from B&H, of course, was delivered to my next door neighbor in error. I know horror stories abound, but I've never seen any myself.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

NASS ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,883 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 31, 2015 11:33 |  #83

TheFloridaShooter wrote in post #17687987 (external link)

+1, but, my FedEx does not come close to my door.

NickS

Canon 5DMIII; Canon EF35mm, f/1.4L; EF85mm, f/1.8; EF135mm, f/2.0L; EF200mm, f/2.8L.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,228 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 31, 2015 11:47 |  #84

It should be notesd that there are two fedex divisions. The fedex overnight is top notch and are held to a higher standard. Fedex parcel drivers are independent contractors and as such tend to vary greatly in performance. I had a friend who contracted with fedex parcel and he didn't speak particularly favorably about the company and the quality of the contractors they attracted. Ultimately it deoends grearly on your local driver.

WHphotography
24 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Aug 31, 2015 14:20 |  #85

wow this is crazy

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,039 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 31, 2015 15:19 |  #86

NASS Photo wrote in post #17690007 (external link)
+1, but, my FedEx does not come close to my door.

Well, look at the bright side, at least it's not flying as far before crashing back to Earth!  :p

Gear List

JJD.Photography
Goldmember
1,445 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 01, 2015 11:00 |  #87

Should of captured it on video! Needs to be addressed, every time!

His And Her Photographs (external link)
flickr (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,329 posts
Joined May 2003

Sep 01, 2015 13:37 |  #88

On the subject of bubble wrap, I happen to know the owner of most of the UPS Stores in my immediate area. He encourages people to bring in the shipping material from packages and when possible he will reuse them as opposed to having them end up in a landfill. One time I brought in a decent amount of bubble wrap and he would not accept it. Turns out that if the bubble wrap was ever used for an air shipment, then it has likely been deflated to some extent and doesn't offer optimum protection. This is even more critical if the outgoing parcel is going by air as opposed to ground. All this could be his opinion but I know I prefer to ship things wrapped in multiple layers of protective wrap which has also been taped to help retain the item within the wrap.

NASS ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,883 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 02, 2015 07:29 |  #89

Erik S. Klein wrote in post #17690311 (external link)
Well, look at the bright side, at least it's not flying as far before crashing back to Earth!  :p

That is true. At least B&H uses UPS to deliver my stuff. That is where most of my money goes. The companies that my wife uses use FedEx. No complaints here regarding B&H, or, UPS.

NickS

sponsored links

18,280 views & 8 likes for this thread
I saw something at B&H: UPS throwing every package
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.