Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Lens Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 15 Jul 2015 (Wednesday) 09:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EF 35mm f/1.4L II USM is coming

thenextguy
Goldmember
2,505 posts
Gallery: 86 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 15, 2015 09:38 |  #1

Sounds like it's official.

http://photorumors.com …m-lenses-to-be-announced/ (external link)

Steve -- Website (external link) -- Flickr (external link) -- Tumblr (external link) -- Instagram (external link) -- 500px (external link) (New!)
Canon 5Ds R | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 35 F2 IS | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200L f/2.8 II

sponsored links
Talley
Talley Whacker
11,027 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 16, 2015 07:53 |  #2

Until it's on canon site... it's a rumor :P

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 50mm 1.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by bps. (2 edits in all)

Jul 16, 2015 19:39 |  #3

thenextguy wrote in post #17632394 (external link)
Sounds like it's official.

Official? Ha! Every year for the last 7 years, I've been hearing that a new 35L was "official" and a "definite thing this time around". But we haven't received one yet.

Of course, I hope in a few weeks we'll finally see the Mark II and we may very well have one, but nothing is official until Canon announces it.  :p

Bryan

My Gear List

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,006 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Jul 20, 2015 07:34 |  #4

Canonrumors.com reporting that pricing wll be between 1700 and 1900 USD. Said that a retailer wrote in sayin 1699. Doesn't sound like the awesomeness of the Sigma Art series is going to affect canon's somewhat outrageous L lens pricing.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
2,470 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Jul 20, 2015 08:07 |  #5

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17637469 (external link)
Canonrumors.com reporting that pricing wll be between 1700 and 1900 USD. Said that a retailer wrote in sayin 1699. Doesn't sound like the awesomeness of the Sigma Art series isn't going to affect canon's somewhat outrageous L lens pricing.

Zoinks!

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,661 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 21, 2015 05:08 |  #6

with that sort of pricing you gotta know it's not true

Gear List

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,739 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by David Arbogast. (2 edits in all)

Jul 21, 2015 06:53 |  #7

A rumor site posts a rumor and it "sounds like it's official." The meaning of the word "official" is not known to some, apparently. Illiteracy, what a shame.

Anyway, illiteracy aside, if the rumors prove out (which, btw, would still not have made them "official" in any way!) then it will be intriguing to see how the lens performs. Plenty will buy one at that price, or Canon will wait a few months and quietly drop the price down as needed.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Jul 21, 2015 06:54 |  #8

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17637469 (external link)
Canonrumors.com reporting that pricing wll be between 1700 and 1900 USD. Said that a retailer wrote in sayin 1699. Doesn't sound like the awesomeness of the Sigma Art series is going to affect canon's somewhat outrageous L lens pricing.

Sigma FTW!

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

thenextguy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,505 posts
Gallery: 86 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 21, 2015 09:43 |  #9

David Arbogast wrote in post #17638741 (external link)
A rumor site posts a rumor and it "sounds like it's official." The meaning of the word "official" is not known to some, apparently. Illiteracy, what a shame.

No, a rumor site posts a link to a Russian certification site listing the lens and it sounds official. That's quite a bit different than just a rumor site saying, "Hay guys, we think this lens is coming soon."

Also, literacy refers to the ability to read or write, it has nothing to with the knowledge of the meaning of certain words. So your post was incorrect in multiple ways.

Steve -- Website (external link) -- Flickr (external link) -- Tumblr (external link) -- Instagram (external link) -- 500px (external link) (New!)
Canon 5Ds R | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 35 F2 IS | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200L f/2.8 II

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,739 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by David Arbogast. (4 edits in all)

Jul 21, 2015 10:18 |  #10

thenextguy wrote in post #17638921 (external link)
No, a rumor site posts a link to a Russian certification site listing the lens and it sounds official. That's quite a bit different than just a rumor site saying, "Hay guys, we think this lens is coming soon."

Also, literacy refers to the ability to read or write, it has nothing to with the knowledge of the meaning of certain words. So your post was incorrect in multiple ways.

My apologies for writing using a term that can be taken as personally insulting. I do not want to insult and that was bad form on my part. My frustration is with the loose usage of the word "official". It is like exclaiming about a particularly heavy rain (of water), "It is literally raining cats and dogs out there!"

Regarding the the word "illiteracy". Like most words in the English language, it carries multiple meanings: http://dictionary.refe​rence.com/browse/illit​eracy?s=t (external link) Meaning 3 is: "a mistake in writing or speaking, felt to be characteristic of an illiterate or semiliterate person" Using a word or words in an improper manner - using them in a way contrary to their meaning - is a "mistake in writing or speaking."

Regarding the use of "official", see meaning 3 (which appears to be the only meaning applicable to a lens announcement): http://dictionary.refe​rence.com/browse/offic​ial?s=t (external link)

It is not "official" unless Canon "officially" authorizes the announcement of it. Are you sharing the news that Canon has officially announced the lens?

SereneSpeed
828 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Aug 09, 2015 22:01 |  #11

anyways...

I was wondering if anyone could let me know what their experience has been in the past with lens pricing when a new model is released.

I have not been able to make the Sigma 35 work for me. I love 35mm. I need f1.4.

I don't need the newest/greatest lens so the original 35L is appealing to me, BUT I don't want to buy it and have it drop half it's value if the vII comes out a week later. Unlike cameras I view lenses as investments and try to buy them when I think they will hold value. When I sell I'm not usually out more that the cost of a rental would have been.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

https://www.danbcreati​ve.com (external link) - Commercial Work
http://unabashedbeauty​.com (external link) - Boudoir/NSFW
http://danielb.photogr​aphy (external link) - Portraiture
https://www.instagram.​com/unabashed_beauty (external link)nsfw
https://www.instagram.​com/danbcreative (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/danielmwbuehler (external link)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,739 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 09, 2015 22:38 |  #12

SereneSpeed wrote in post #17662881 (external link)
anyways...

I was wondering if anyone could let me know what their experience has been in the past with lens pricing when a new model is released.

I have not been able to make the Sigma 35 work for me. I love 35mm. I need f1.4.

I don't need the newest/greatest lens so the original 35L is appealing to me, BUT I don't want to buy it and have it drop half it's value if the vII comes out a week later. Unlike cameras I view lenses as investments and try to buy them when I think they will hold value. When I sell I'm not usually out more that the cost of a rental would have been.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

What didn't work for you on the Sigma 35mm? I'm curious, because I am considering one at the moment. I too have a hole to fill at 35mm f/1.4.

If the rumor pans out - and I hope it does! - then I am sure the Canon model will be amazing. I could be wrong, but I don't see the value of the original one dropping that much. It is still a great lens.

SereneSpeed
828 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Aug 09, 2015 23:10 as a reply to  @ David Arbogast's post |  #13

Autofocus sometimes would not work for me. Mostly it would, sometimes it wouldn't. I did not tune it with the dock, but one of my 5D III's and the lens spent a few days at Sigma, with no improvement noted on my end.

I did not seem to have the AF issue on my second 5d III. But I try to use the second body as little as possible (wedding ceremonies/first dance) so I never really put it through it's paces. It was a strange issue and I do not feel comfortable saying anything bad about the lens, because it was great, it just did not behave like the rest of my lenses (Canon). In the end when I needed funds for another lens, the Sigma was easier to part with than my other lenses. I do sometimes miss the lens. At a wedding a week ago I cursed myself for selling the lens. But, I am not sure I want to try again with the 35Art.

https://www.danbcreati​ve.com (external link) - Commercial Work
http://unabashedbeauty​.com (external link) - Boudoir/NSFW
http://danielb.photogr​aphy (external link) - Portraiture
https://www.instagram.​com/unabashed_beauty (external link)nsfw
https://www.instagram.​com/danbcreative (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/danielmwbuehler (external link)

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,661 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 10, 2015 05:31 |  #14

If you need the L now, get it. Especially if it's going to be earning you income. don't worry about a hypothetical mk2. I don't think the value will drop too much in the early period of announcement, if it is in fact announced.

Gear List

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
2,470 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Aug 10, 2015 10:34 |  #15

SereneSpeed wrote in post #17662881 (external link)
anyways...

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Assuming a new 35L is imminent, you can expect a little price erosion on the older version, but I wouldn't let that deter me if I needed the 35mm.

I would think the used price on an original 35L will stabilize around 1/2 the retail price of the new version, and as new versions begin to sell on the used market that price will fall somewhere in between. Hypothetically, if a new version is introduced at $1800, the used price of an old version might sit around $900. Inevitably, as the retail price on the new version drops (say to $1650), the used value on the old version will drop to something like $800. Just compare the used prices of the 24L mk1, the 16-35 2.8L mk1 and the 24-70 2.8L mk1 to their successors. BTW, if there is a new 35L, I expect it to have IS and weather sealing, so I don't think it will be marketed as a mk II version.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

sponsored links

10,268 views & 14 likes for this thread
EF 35mm f/1.4L II USM is coming
FORUMS News & Rumors Lens Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.