Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 07 Aug 2015 (Friday) 23:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Printing issue - Mac Mini/Aperture/Canon Pro9000

wysiwyg59
284 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 07, 2015 23:03 |  #1

Image below is a photo I took at my son's wedding last weekend. I printed the image from Aperture using my Canon Pro9000, size 13x19. I issue is the printed image only has half of the individual on the left and cuts to foot off the individual on there right. I do know why it will not print the whole image. Can someone please help me.

Thanks

IMAGE: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn207/wysiwyg77/IMG_8530%20-%20Version%202_zpsuo3h7xlp.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://s305.photobucke​t.com …%202_zpsuo3h7xl​p.jpg.html  (external link)

Rick
Canon A1, 7D2, 40D, Canon G12, Sony NEX-5N
Canon 70-200 IS F2.8 L, Canon 35mm f1.4 L, EF-S 18-200mm, EF-S 10-22mm
wysiwyg@hickorytech.ne​t (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,476 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 08, 2015 07:27 |  #2

The image you posted above is 357x800 pixels. That is an aspect ratio of 1:2.24 while the aspect ratio of 13x19 inch paper is 1:1.46.

That means that if you print the image to fill the 13 inch side of the paper, the long side will be 29 inches. Since the paper is only 19 inches long, you will lose 10 inches of image. If you print to fill the long side of the paper, the image will be 8.5 inches high and you will have 4.5 inches of margin at the top or the bottom or 2.25 inches at both.

Think about cropping the 1:1.5 original to 1:1.46 or printing for the width and cutting (or matting) off 4.5 inches of empty paper.

Elie / אלי

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,009 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 08, 2015 09:05 |  #3

Also if you print using a borderless option, so that you completely fill the length of the paper, even with a white strip top and bottom you will lose something like 60 pixels form each "end" of the image (at least its about 60 if the image is resampled to fill the image size at the same PPI value the printer is using). This is done to stop any unprinted bits from showing around the edges cause by tolerance issues within the printer, and the paper not always feeding exactly square. The only way around that is to chose a normal, not borderless printing option. This will print all the pixels around the edge of the image, but will of course mean that you will have a certain amount of white border around the image.

This is in addition to the aspect ratio issues that Elei mentioned in his post above.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

615 views & 1 like for this thread
Printing issue - Mac Mini/Aperture/Canon Pro9000
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.