Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 17 Aug 2015 (Monday) 11:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can I Get the Deposit Back?

jecottrell
324 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Aug 20, 2015 17:23 |  #16

Why doesn't this (external link) concept apply in the OP's case?

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,013 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 02, 2015 15:12 |  #17

jecottrell wrote in post #17676811 (external link)
Why doesn't this (external link) concept apply in the OP's case?

It may, or it may not. Again, this all depends on the language used in the terms that the OP agreed to when he secured his place with the workshop provider.

If there is anything that your linked article makes clear, it is the fact that the precise wording of one's contract is what will make the biggest difference in court. In your article, if the photographer's contract had said that the $400 deposit was for the scheduling and procurement of a make-up artist, and for the scheduling, procurement and preparation of studio space, she would have undoubtedly been entitled to keep the entire deposit. But she made the mistake of saying that the $400 deposit would be applied to a print package.......not too bright on her part to have worded it that way.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

ceegee
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 10, 2015 12:37 |  #18

I'm sometimes involved in organizing or attending sport training workshops with well-known competitors from the sport (some of whom travel over from Europe). Prepayment is required, but if a participant can't come for whatever reason, their spot is always sold to someone else and they get a refund. And we're not talking about anything like $700: less than half that in most cases. Not refunding deposits, especially large amounts, sounds to me like a quick way for the photographer to sabotage her own reputation. I can understand her keeping a percentage (10%, even 20%) to cover her overheads, and for inconvenience, but to keep it all seems very greedy to me.

Cancellation terms should be written down clearly somewhere - usually on the registration form, or possibly in the advertising material. This has been the case for all the workshops I've attended or organized.

If it's not clearly specified somewhere that the deposit isn't refundable, I'd suggest you try again to get it back.

Good luck with your dog, glad he's getting better.

Gear: Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24 f/4, Canon 24-105L f4, Canon 70-300L, Canon 60 macro f/2.8, Speedlite 580 EXII, 2x AB800

Website (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,713 views & 4 likes for this thread
Can I Get the Deposit Back?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.