Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
Thread started 01 Sep 2015 (Tuesday) 00:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hotlink prevention issue

DarioC
170 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 01, 2015 00:24 |  #1

Hello everyone,

I am having issues loading images posted by other users ON the forum.

On some of the images posted, I keep seeing a Hotlink Prevention image, telling me the attachment is only viewable to members.

I am logged in, have flushed my DNS, restarted, cleared cache, cookies, etc and still nothing.

I am not using a VPN, however, I might have logged in at some point while using one, but am not currently doing so.

Any tips?

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Nogo
POTN record for # of posts during "Permanent Ban"
8,588 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Sep 01, 2015 01:02 |  #2

There are a few things to try that are basically system maintenance.

Log off and reboot your system. With all the other things you have done, you have probably already done that, but I mention it because so often just doing this will solve many problems. Other than that, make sure all your system maintenance is up to date. Check and make sure your browser, java script, and operating system are all up to date. Run a malware removal program such as Malwarebytes to make sure your system is not corrupted by malware.

The other things that could cause a problem are settings in your Virus Checker or browser.

But, the best advise any of us could offer is to just contact Pekka. Your problem sounds like one for him. Either PM him directly, or report your post and in the comments ask Pekka to look into it for you.

Philip

Nogo
8,588 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited over 5 years ago by Nogo. (2 edits in all)

Sep 01, 2015 01:10 |  #3

Here is a link to a post where another user was having your problem. It turned out to be a setting in their browser.

https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=17460709

Philip

DarioC
THREAD ­ STARTER
170 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 01, 2015 22:26 |  #4

Nogo wrote in post #17690869 (external link)
Here is a link to a post where another user was having your problem. It turned out to be a setting in their browser.

https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=17460709

Thanks Nogo, I found the 'fix' in that thread.

However, it's still not clear to me why POTN requires the header referers to be sent to it's servers? and why only certain photos require it?

Flickr (external link)

Nogo
8,588 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Sep 01, 2015 22:41 as a reply to  @ DarioC's post |  #5

Glad that worked.

I don't know enough (or should I say anything) about a header referrer to have any reason to either turn it off or on. For that reason, the only reason I found that was I searched for "hotlink" after my first answer and found that post. Glad it contained the solution to your problem.

Philip

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,975 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Sep 05, 2015 17:52 |  #6

DarioC wrote in post #17691910 (external link)
Thanks Nogo, I found the 'fix' in that thread.

However, it's still not clear to me why POTN requires the header referers to be sent to it's servers? and why only certain photos require it?

Photos we host (uploaded photos, "attachments") eat a lot of bandwidth, and so we prevent linking to them (embedding) from other sites. Hotlinking prevention checks that the call to load an image to the browser comes from this site (via a link or an img tag), else it does not allow it to be delivered.

Sorry if it caused you trouble.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

sponsored links

864 views & 0 likes for this thread
Hotlink prevention issue
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.