Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 08 Sep 2015 (Tuesday) 17:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best weddingtips for first weddingshoot ?

CanonYouCan
Goldmember
1,488 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2010
Post edited over 5 years ago by CanonYouCan. (2 edits in all)

Sep 08, 2015 17:02 |  #1

Within 2 months I will do my first weddingshoot in Autumn, normally with 2 Canon 6D's with a 35 1.4 Art + 70-200 2.8L II

I would love to bring my 16-35 f4L IS with me for a few spectacular shots of the church with the people in it (for example from above),
but you have to be at the right place timed (and better not packed too much with extra lenses).
As it's my first weddingshoot i'd better be present close to the peope, that i'm not making a shot from above in the church and the ring is allready handed over haha :)

I will follow some youtube courses, are there any well known photographers that have a website with tips ?
For example a classic dayplanning, locations to choose, checklist what not to forget ?

Sony A7 III | Metabones V | Canon 16-35 F4 L | Sigma 85 1.4 Art | 70-200 2.8L II
Lighting : Godox AD600B TTL + Godox V860II-S + X1T-S
Modifiers: 60cm Collapsible Silver Beautydish + grid | Godox 120cm Octagon softbox + grid + Speedlite Flash bender
Tripod: Vanguard Alta 253CT carbon

sponsored links
jimeuph1
215 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Sep 08, 2015 18:25 |  #2

Creativelive has some fantastic courses, some good instructors are Bambi Cantrell, Joe Buissink, Susan stripling and Jasmine star.

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,263 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 08, 2015 20:00 |  #3

Any videos by Jerry Ghionis or Cliff Mautner would be helpful. I've learned a lot from them. I know Jerry has at least a couple of classes on B&H's YouTube channel. KelbyOne has a bunch of wedding tutorials from Cliff, but it's a pay site (excellent learning experience though).

I'm only on wedding #5, so take that into consideration, but I've learned a few important lessons so far. (In no particular order)

1) Wear comfortable shoes. You're going to be on your feet a lot.

2) Get a schedule from the Bride/Planner so you know where to be at what time. That'll help you make a shot list. Google it and you'll find a lot of them.

3) Get there early, or research the venue online, to get an idea what you're in for (lighting, size of the space, shooting locations, etc.) Attend/shoot the rehearsal, if possible. I've shot in a theatre that was huge and on a yacht that was pretty tight, and this research has been very helpful for me. Then I get my game plan together and choose what gear I'll need based on the situation. Once I'm more seasoned I'm sure I'll have to prep a bit less, but I like having a good idea of the environment I'm getting myself into at this point.

4) I LOVE my BlackRapid Double Strap. It lets me carry two bodies securely all day, as comfortably as I can imagine they could be carried. For those times when you only need one camera, it snaps apart quickly to make a single strap.

5) Do your best and have fun. I've been amazed at how many family members have thanked me, hugged me, brought me water bottles, etc. and they haven't seen a single image. That's a nice feeling.

Good luck!

GEAR LIST

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Sep 08, 2015 20:11 |  #4

Josh_30 wrote in post #17700102 (external link)
4) I LOVE my BlackRapid Double Strap. It lets me carry two bodies securely all day, as comfortably as I can imagine they could be carried. For those times when you only need one camera, it snaps apart quickly to make a single strap.

I was using mine for weddings too but now I am not liking it so much. When using it as a double, I cannot crouch. If I crouch, 1 camera will hit the ground. It also swings a lot. Good harnesses if you aren't moving too much. I still love it as a single strap. I am upgrading to the spider holster system soon!

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

Jon ­ Tinkler
103 posts
Joined Feb 2015

Sep 08, 2015 20:25 |  #5

I use a double Black Rapid as well, I have a tip that might help on the crouching and swinging (and back pain :) )

The cameras really should be hanging at about hip level - if they're halfway down your thigh, they're probably too low. That causes them to swing around a lot, which torques your spine as well.

Also, if they're at hip level they shouldn't be near the ground when you're crouching in a normal crouch. I can crouch down in mine and they're nowhere near touching the ground, even with a speedlight on. And I'm not tall by any means ;-)a

Hope that's a help - they do tend to lengthen themselves, you need to re-shorten them every once in a while.

Just a thought in case it helps.

Millgrove Photography

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,263 posts
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 08, 2015 21:20 |  #6

Yep, I like to carry mine fairly high on my hip to keep them from swinging (as high as I can get by with and still pull it up to my eye easily). The little bumper locks help a lot of you're going to be walking around quite a bit, or if you're in a situation where you're only using one of the two cameras.

GEAR LIST

ready ­ to ­ snap
639 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Sep 08, 2015 22:00 |  #7

Here are a few tips not mentioned yet.

Take 4 Ibuprofen one hour before you get there. Keep the bottle in your camera bag for later lol. I get a headache and backache at every wedding I shoot.

When you start getting pictures after the ceremony try and get all the ones with the elderly folks done first.

I always ask for a "must have" picture list.

If possible find a second shooter. It will avoid missing some special moments.

Try and make them feel relaxed. If it feels like to much work to them then it is usually the groom who gets tired of having pictures taken and eventually refuses to be in anymore pictures.

Extra batteries for camera and flash.

tony ­ rage
696 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 08, 2015 22:22 |  #8

- I would suggest renting a 28-70 2.8. that way, with both of your bodies youll have the 28-200 range covered.
- expect to answer questions and have confidence in your answers. I find myself being in "charge" a lot of the time and its kind of annoying... but thats how it goes sometimes. Ive had the wedding planners asking me of when pictures should be taken or when will the DJ announce the B&G etc, etc, etc. (I thought it was THEIR job to have the wedding PLANNED out!! hahha)
- Ask for a schedule from the Planner!!! also ask for the "must have" family shots.
- Research must have shots at a wedding (rings, first kiss, entrance, first dance, etc)
- Receptions are usually dark (in my experience at least) so maybe invest (or rent) in a small lighting setup. I get great results with 2 Off camera flashes (triggered with Cybesyncs) and 1 on camera.
- If you're like me, you are your worst critic. Just remember you'll get better the more weddings you do. Watch wedding photography videos, get exited and go have fun!.
Good Luck!

5Dc * 1DMkII * 40D * 24-70 2.8 * 85 1.8 * and more!

Jon ­ Tinkler
103 posts
Joined Feb 2015
Post edited over 5 years ago by Jon Tinkler.

Sep 09, 2015 21:54 |  #9

tony rage wrote in post #17700273 (external link)
I find myself being in "charge" a lot of the time and its kind of annoying... but thats how it goes sometimes. Ive had the wedding planners asking me of when pictures should be taken or when will the DJ announce the B&G etc, etc, etc.

^^^ Every second wedding :)

Millgrove Photography

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 09, 2015 22:12 |  #10

Jon Tinkler wrote in post #17701647 (external link)
^^^ Every second wedding :)

Every wedding here :)

All part of the service and not annoying in the slightest IMHO

Peter

Silver-Halide
838 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Sep 10, 2015 04:49 |  #11

BlakeC wrote in post #17700108 (external link)
I was using mine for weddings too but now I am not liking it so much. When using it as a double, I cannot crouch. If I crouch, 1 camera will hit the ground. It also swings a lot. Good harnesses if you aren't moving too much. I still love it as a single strap. I am upgrading to the spider holster system soon!

Thanks for this review. I had that feeling. I don't use any straps at all and rely on the increased surface area that a battery grip adds. I keep my second camera in a small shoulder bag and will likely stick with this system.

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

DylanMartin
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Sep 10, 2015 12:56 |  #12

A lot of great tips above, I would recommend buying or renting a flash and learning how to bounce it and use it effectively. It is a really important piece of lighting equipment to have.

Dylan M

Jon ­ Tinkler
103 posts
Joined Feb 2015

Sep 10, 2015 22:05 as a reply to  @ memoriesoftomorrow's post |  #13

Yeah I shouldn't have said I find it annoying - just adds to the many balls that are in the air at times. All part of the gig though, as you say.

Millgrove Photography

sponsored links

2,244 views & 1 like for this thread
Best weddingtips for first weddingshoot ?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.