Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Sep 2015 (Friday) 07:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 7D Mark II Focus Issues - What is going on?

marklori43
292 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 18, 2015 07:24 |  #1

Looking in the forum, it seems there are consistent issues with the focusing. I don't have the Mark II, but have the 7D (gen 1). Is this a user issue, or are there bugs to be worked out by Canon?

Nature Sniper
Canon 7D, Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 100-400mm 4.5-5.6 L IS USM, Canon EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro, Canon EF-S 18-55mm, Canon EF 28mm 1.8 USM, Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, Kenko DG Extension Tubes, Manfrotto 055XPROB with 498RC2

sponsored links
joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,330 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.
Post edited over 4 years ago by joedlh. (2 edits in all)

Sep 18, 2015 08:03 |  #2

While there are often random clunkers in a production run, the general consensus is that it's users picking the wrong autofocus mode, case, or focus point for the shot that they're trying to get. I shot the start of a marathon race last weekend. The focus nailed the lead runner every step of the way for a burst of 10 shots. And that's with -- dare I admit it -- pixel-peeping.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,639 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Sep 18, 2015 08:35 |  #3

If you look at the large thread here, you will immediately tell that the issues, whether real or user related, have largely quieted down. The last several pages of that thread are about things completely unrelated to AF issues. The 7D "had AF issues" too, if you remember, then those died down as well. We had polls going about AF issues on the first gen.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,930 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by mwsilver. (2 edits in all)

Sep 18, 2015 16:13 |  #4

marklori43 wrote in post #17711984 (external link)
Looking in the forum, it seems there are consistent issues with the focusing. I don't have the Mark II, but have the 7D (gen 1). Is this a user issue, or are there bugs to be worked out by Canon?

While there may be the odd focus issue today due to an actual camera problem, primarily most real issues have been rectified by firmware updates. the current firmware is 1.0.5 and each of the updates has responded to various focus issues for very specific lenses. Secondarily the 7 AF modes of the 7D II have been somewhat daunting to those coming from cameras with simpler AF systems like my previous go to body, the 60D. Coming from 7D you will likely have fewer issues with its AF than others do.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,943 posts
Gallery: 184 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 4 years ago by CyberDyneSystems. (5 edits in all)

Sep 18, 2015 16:31 |  #5

The four threads I see are not about 7D2 AF issues at all.

One is a very old thread where people have been sharing images and experiences ( largely positive) from the 7D2 for months now. (nearly a year!) It is more about learning to use the camera than identifying any problem with it.

Another one you saw was not related to any problem with the 7D2 AF at all regardless of the title.
All that was required to get the results the OP wanted was to change a most basic setting.

The live view one is new, and I am unclear that a problem has been identified that is unique to 7D2, but is rather a misunderstanding of the differences between live view and the 65 Zone AF system that Live view is NOT a part of.

And the 4th is this one, which again has ZERO reports of a problem with 7D2 within it.

So we have a crowd of none?

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

marklori43
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 18, 2015 19:21 |  #6

Ok. I stand corrected. I still love Canon.

Nature Sniper
Canon 7D, Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 100-400mm 4.5-5.6 L IS USM, Canon EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro, Canon EF-S 18-55mm, Canon EF 28mm 1.8 USM, Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, Kenko DG Extension Tubes, Manfrotto 055XPROB with 498RC2

TeleFragger
Goldmember
3,186 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 08, 2015 10:25 |  #7

joedlh wrote in post #17712018 (external link)
While there are often random clunkers in a production run, the general consensus is that it's users picking the wrong autofocus mode, case, or focus point for the shot that they're trying to get. I shot the start of a marathon race last weekend. The focus nailed the lead runner every step of the way for a burst of 10 shots. And that's with -- dare I admit it -- pixel-peeping.

This was it for me. I chose the soccer looking dude for case for ummm soccer.. and turns out going to a different case... tennis player icon? did better for me..

GearBag - Feedback****Flickr - my playhouse (external link)****RF-603 Discussion
Canon 7Dm2 Gripped | 32GB Transcend CF | 64GB Toshiba FlashAir | YN-468 Flash | YN-468 II Flash | RF-603 | EF-S 18-55 IS|EF 24-105L|EF 50 MKII 1.8|EF-S 55-250 IS |EF 85 1.8| Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC |Primo's Trigger Stick Monopod | Manfrotto Carbon Fiber Tripod
if I post a pic.. it is there to be picked on... (I have thick skin.. im in IT)

GregDunn
Goldmember
1,289 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Oct 08, 2015 11:28 |  #8

That's the thing - As a potential 7D2 owner I followed every thread most carefully and tried to figure out how many people were actually seeing camera defects, and how many were just taking time to get the camera configured to their liking. I think I finally came up with about a half dozen posters who genuinely had a problem with the camera itself; the remainder were able to configure the AF cases, MFA the lens, reset the camera, upgrade the firmware, etc. and get their issues resolved. Of that small number, some were able to get the problem resolved with an exchange or repair, and others have gone through 3-4 units without success. Looking at published sales figures from dealers over the last year, it seems likely that many tens of thousands of 7D2 cameras are out there being used daily; a handful of defective cameras is a pretty low AQL out of that sample.

I know that even having extensive use of a 7D and 5D3, it took me a few weeks to get the 7D2 set up to where it was delivering the expected results consistently, even though it was clearly better out of the box than the other 2. 50% of the problem was my misunderstanding of the AF assist points, and the other 50% was an improper setting. Amusingly, retrofitting this setting and my style to the other two cameras produced an immediate improvement in my keeper rate with both. So NONE of the issues were defects in my 3 cameras.

Now, assuming that there was a mechanical/electrical problem with some early units, it stands to reason that since Canon has repaired some cameras, they are aware of any issues and are capable of correcting them. I bought mine in March from an authorized dealer, assuming that any questionable units had been purged from the supply line either through repairs or QA. My camera has been completely satisfactory, especially once I figured out how to set it and use it optimally. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another current production unit at this point.

As the above comments indicate, both the 7D and 5D3 were reported to have AF issues when first released. I feel that the same situation likely applied - minimal numbers of defective cameras and a lot of users taking time to settle in with the camera - with both. Make no mistake, they are all considerably more complex to set up than a Rebel or even an xxD series, and even experienced users have taken time to come fully to grips with them. The wonderful thing is that they are worth the investment in time; my 7D2 is the most natural camera I've ever owned when it comes to capturing the desired moment. I happened to shoot with all three bodies this past week, and the improvements in the newer technology are evident when dealing with tricky subjects. The 7D2 captures images that it has no right to, given the amount of time I allowed for some grab shots; it is truly wicked fast and accurate.

Canon 1Dx | 5D3 | 7D2 | 6D | 70-200L f/2.8IS | 70-200L f/4 | 24-70L f/2.8 | 24-105L f/4IS | 100-400L f/4.5-5.6IS | 17-55 f/2.8IS | 50 f/1.8 | 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 | 4x Godox AD360

Frodge
Goldmember
3,085 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 08, 2015 11:40 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #9

This would make me believe that canon quietly fixed somethong , somewhere along the way.

RodS57
954 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Oct 08, 2015 16:57 |  #10

My camera shipped from the retailer on Oct 30. By Christmas there were reports of focus issues. After reading quite a few of these posts I started to experiment with MFA. By March I had not been able to get any consistent results no matter what I did. I subsequently did a 'factory reset' to start from the beginning again. I contacted Canon by email and sent in the requested pictures. When taking the test shots I also took a set of the same shots with my T3i. These shots are a little better than those taken with the 7D2.

On one of my focus test excursions I took a bunch of shots of a stationary object with the camera well supported. All shots were soft with the exception of one shot in the middle of a short burst. That shot was perfect and it was that shot which convinced me to contact canon.

Canon's response was there was nothing wrong with my camera. If they had suggested I send it in for a checkup and then told me I was an idiot that would have been fine. Problem identified. With almost a year under my belt with this camera I still don't know if there is something wrong with the camera or not and based on Pondrader's recent experience it is unlikely I will send it into canon.

The focus errors are such that I can't nail down the source. Things aren't completely out of whack so my uncertainty continues.

Disclaimers:
This is the most complicated camera I have ever tried to use
I'm long on hopes of getting 'that' shot but short on experience
Most of the time the tamron 150-600 is mounted on the camera

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,930 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 08, 2015 17:30 |  #11

RodS57 wrote in post #17738039 (external link)
My camera shipped from the retailer on Oct 30. By Christmas there were reports of focus issues. After reading quite a few of these posts I started to experiment with MFA. By March I had not been able to get any consistent results no matter what I did. I subsequently did a 'factory reset' to start from the beginning again. I contacted Canon by email and sent in the requested pictures. When taking the test shots I also took a set of the same shots with my T3i. These shots are a little better than those taken with the 7D2.

On one of my focus test excursions I took a bunch of shots of a stationary object with the camera well supported. All shots were soft with the exception of one shot in the middle of a short burst. That shot was perfect and it was that shot which convinced me to contact canon.

Canon's response was there was nothing wrong with my camera. If they had suggested I send it in for a checkup and then told me I was an idiot that would have been fine. Problem identified. With almost a year under my belt with this camera I still don't know if there is something wrong with the camera or not and based on Pondrader's recent experience it is unlikely I will send it into canon.

The focus errors are such that I can't nail down the source. Things aren't completely out of whack so my uncertainty continues.

Disclaimers:
This is the most complicated camera I have ever tried to use
I'm long on hopes of getting 'that' shot but short on experience
Most of the time the tamron 150-600 is mounted on the camera

Rod

Can we assume you've applied all the firmware updates to 1.05?

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

RodS57
954 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Oct 08, 2015 18:26 |  #12

mwsilver wrote in post #17738064 (external link)
Can we assume you've applied all the firmware updates to 1.05?

I haven't applied 1.0.5. The previous one yes. They seem to mostly apply to issues with specific canon lenses along with some other stuff. I'll give the new one a go one of these days.

I do get some sharp shots even with the tamron. I mostly use the tamron but for a walk around I use the 70-300L. After the email to canon I only used the 70-300L for weeks to try and confirm it was the tamron. The canon lens does work better than the tamron. Maybe it doesn't like the tamron. I am more than willing to admit that it is me. Probably just so I can say I didn't blow two grand.:-)

It was purchased specifically for BIF. I am a complete amateur at this type of shooting. Nothing I can do now but carry on and continue to practice. Ignoring the focus part of it, the other problems mentioned elsewhere (metering issues, main dial I think) and taking into account the number of shots I normally take in a year (about to 5000) I should be good for a few years.

I know, much more info than you asked for but I figured I would put it in context. Thanks for asking.

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,639 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 08, 2015 20:03 |  #13

If the camera is under warranty still, I would simply request a repair order and send it in. At least make Canon prove there is no issue, or perhaps now they can identify an issue when they hook up the diagnostics. It will only cost you some time, nothing more, and could give you some peace of mind.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,930 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 08, 2015 21:43 |  #14

RodS57 wrote in post #17738122 (external link)
I haven't applied 1.0.5. The previous one yes. They seem to mostly apply to issues with specific canon lenses along with some other stuff. I'll give the new one a go one of these days.

I do get some sharp shots even with the tamron. I mostly use the tamron but for a walk around I use the 70-300L. After the email to canon I only used the 70-300L for weeks to try and confirm it was the tamron. The canon lens does work better than the tamron. Maybe it doesn't like the tamron. I am more than willing to admit that it is me. Probably just so I can say I didn't blow two grand.:-)

It was purchased specifically for BIF. I am a complete amateur at this type of shooting. Nothing I can do now but carry on and continue to practice. Ignoring the focus part of it, the other problems mentioned elsewhere (metering issues, main dial I think) and taking into account the number of shots I normally take in a year (about to 5000) I should be good for a few years.

I know, much more info than you asked for but I figured I would put it in context. Thanks for asking.

Rod

Are you sure the lens is not the issue?

Mark

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 09, 2015 06:08 |  #15

On the other hand..I loved my 7DII from the very start. other's had difficulty's but mine just felt like it was a extension of me and maybe thats the problem I'm having now. Im not sure what they changed as even they don't seem to know. or at least cant tell me over the phone. After the repair my camera is just average, ......ya know close but not super. I did put firmware 1.05 on when it came out and found no change in the focus or image quality using the 100-400LII or the 70-300L. I remember what struck me using this camera was the detail at greater distances, it was a weapon for sure. if I could go back in time I would never have sent it in to Canon for repair, ...I would have lived with the goofy wheel and kept my sniper style 7DII ,....

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

25,289 views & 33 likes for this thread
Canon 7D Mark II Focus Issues - What is going on?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.