Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Sep 2015 (Friday) 07:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 7D Mark II Focus Issues - What is going on?

RodS57
958 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Feb 24, 2016 16:42 |  #46

Corry H wrote in post #17911264 (external link)
great! I got rid of my 7D last year because of too many crappy missed focus soft shots (and blaming user error and/or my lenses) and now after some frustration with focus inconsistency find that this might also be an issue with my 7DII.? ugh. I realize there is a lot I don't know about the AF system and the bazillion different settings I could use and I have read till my head hurts and tried different things but when does one decide enough is enough and just send it in? My little rebel gave me consistently better shots.

Welcome to the party! I've got beer and hammers. :-) your choice.

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

sponsored links
RodS57
958 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Feb 24, 2016 17:30 |  #47

Corry H wrote in post #17911402 (external link)
Ok, I've just finished the firmware update. Can you share how to set that toggle option up? and do you have one shot AF release prior set to focus or release (or where on the scale) ?

not sure where I read to watch Andy Rouse's utube video on how to set up camera AF for birds but I can't find the video, anyone?

Had to go look at the manual :-)

Bring up the menu; go to the camera icon on the right (next to the star); go to the third tab and at the bottom of the list you will see custom controls. From the list of buttons pick the * or AF-ON and set then choose toggle from the option list. Pressing the info button when configuring either of these two buttons will give you a host of options. I have my AF-ON button set to go to AI servo and switch to the center group/zone of 25 AF points . My emergency BIF button.

As I have my camera configured, In one shot focus mode holding the * button in will switch to AI servo and vise versa.

Rod

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,842 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Feb 24, 2016 18:58 |  #48

Mine was brilliant for 10 months then it took a dive. Canon NJ finally replaced it. I had purchased a 1D IV in the mean time, really just to make sure I wasn't nuts, truth be told. The 1D IV has been so good, I sold my replacement 7D2 without putting one shutter actuation on it. I lost a significant amount of money doing so, but I needed a camera I can trust.

Rod, I'd call the Canon Canada repair facility and speak to a manager. I'd hmmmm I think the word would be "whine" until they did something for you. It might not work but you've been having this problem for ages, it seems. A $2000 camera that doesn't work in Servo is pretty worthless for someone who shoots any kind of moving subjects.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

Corry ­ H
96 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 24, 2016 19:36 |  #49

Ok, thanks Rod!. Found it and done....so as far as using it in the field (say shooting birds) how would you do that? Just Try taking shots switching/toggling between one shot and al servo and hoping one serves the purpose to get good focus? I have my camera set on Case 1 AF setting as well.

Bought my camera in may 2015 so it hasn't been a year, perhaps I'll try sending it away if I can't get things figured. would it be worth sending my 100-400 lens with it so they can microadjust if needed?

Corry
Northern Alberta, Canada
Gear: Canon 7DII, 50mm1.4, Canon 17-85mm, Canon 100-400 IS, Canon 100mm macro, sigma 18-250 OS, Canon SX50

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,938 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 24, 2016 19:49 |  #50

ldn323 wrote in post #17911024 (external link)
My 7D2 is on the way to Canon Service Center for this exact problem, i.e. inconsistent, unreliable AI Servo AF focus. My 1Dx + 100-400 II combination works like magic. My 7D2 + same 100-400 II combination always leaves me wondering "Did I get the shot or not?"

One shot AF is fine.

I'll post what Canon might say about my issue.

Are you talking about shot to shot AF consistency in high speed bursts when you're in AI Servo? If so, did you adjust 1st image and 2 image priority in the second AF menu? And what type of shooting situations are you having difficulty with, and which of the Cases are you using? If you were already aware of these settings, my apologies, but not everyone is familiar with the complexities of the 7D2 auto focus system.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

ldn323
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Gallery: 386 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 24, 2016 19:58 as a reply to  @ mwsilver's post |  #51

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the comments. I am familiar with those settings and the AF cases. I have been doing BIF for a few years and have good results on both my 1Dx and my old (original) 7D ... at least "good" to me anyway.
No needs to apologize :-)
Linh

Canon EOS 1D X EOS 1D X Mark II | Fujifilm X100S X-T3 | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM | Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary | Fujifilm Fujinon XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujinon XF 35mm f/2 R WR

RodS57
958 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Feb 24, 2016 20:04 |  #52

Phoenixkh wrote in post #17911640 (external link)
Mine was brilliant for 10 months then it took a dive. Canon NJ finally replaced it. I had purchased a 1D IV in the mean time, really just to make sure I wasn't nuts, truth be told. The 1D IV has been so good, I sold my replacement 7D2 without putting one shutter actuation on it. I lost a significant amount of money doing so, but I needed a camera I can trust.

Rod, I'd call the Canon Canada repair facility and speak to a manager. I'd hmmmm I think the word would be "whine" until they did something for you. It might not work but you've been having this problem for ages, it seems. A $2000 camera that doesn't work in Servo is pretty worthless for someone who shoots any kind of moving subjects.

Out of curiosity I went hunting for a picture. At the time the picture was taken I remember I put the camera in one shot focus mode because of the constant focus chatter in AI servo. The chatter was quite annoying. That was Feb 21/15 with a static target. As noted before this chatter seems to happen only with static subjects while in AI servo. I haven't noticed it with moving objects but I don't think it happens when the camera is tracking. Perhaps being able to toggle focus mode with the * button will provide a solution to the problem. Too many variables for my wee little brain.

Rod

RodS57
958 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Feb 24, 2016 20:25 |  #53

Corry H wrote in post #17911698 (external link)
Ok, thanks Rod!. Found it and done....so as far as using it in the field (say shooting birds) how would you do that? Just Try taking shots switching/toggling between one shot and al servo and hoping one serves the purpose to get good focus? I have my camera set on Case 1 AF setting as well.

Bought my camera in may 2015 so it hasn't been a year, perhaps I'll try sending it away if I can't get things figured. would it be worth sending my 100-400 lens with it so they can microadjust if needed?

I think that will depend on your personal preference. I usually go out with specific types of shots in mind. So for birds the camera is set to AI servo but the * button gives me immediate access to one shot focus for a static subject. Basically I set the camera to what suits my objective with the * giving instant access to the other drive mode should the need arise. I try to set the drive mode to not need to use one of the reprogrammed buttons as I don't want to have to continuously hold in the extra button but the option is always there. Since you have been following this thread you see that my camera does play well with static subjects when using AI servo. This setting could make the difference between getting a shot or not.

Did you configure just the * or did you also configure the AF-ON button as well. Other people have the buttons configured the reverse of what I have done. How you configure them will depend on how often you use the setting and how comfortable the button placement is.

Rod

ldn323
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Gallery: 386 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 25, 2016 14:59 |  #54

ldn323 wrote in post #17911024 (external link)
My 7D2 is on the way to Canon Service Center for this exact problem, i.e. inconsistent, unreliable AI Servo AF focus. My 1Dx + 100-400 II combination works like magic. My 7D2 + same 100-400 II combination always leaves me wondering "Did I get the shot or not?"

One shot AF is fine.

I'll post what Canon might say about my issue.

Update: It sounds like Canon agreed there is something wrong with my 7D2. Today I received a standard reply saying "... Based on our initial examination, we will begin the necessary repairs at no charge to you.". No details on what the "initial examination" showed. Hope more details will be provided later.

Canon EOS 1D X EOS 1D X Mark II | Fujifilm X100S X-T3 | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM | Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary | Fujifilm Fujinon XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujinon XF 35mm f/2 R WR

docg
Goldmember
1,057 posts
Gallery: 279 photos
Joined Jun 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by docg.

Feb 25, 2016 15:36 |  #55

Canon NJ received my 7D MK II today. I just received an e-mail from them saying "Customer says focus is inconsistent. Focus will be checked and repaired to good working order". I'm hoping they find something to repair.

Doc
flickr (external link)

Frodge
Goldmember
3,085 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 25, 2016 16:03 |  #56

So it seems like this problem isn't a figment of peoples imagination. I've been following these 7dii threads for months and have hears there are only 2 or 3 problems and the rest are user error or from not reading the manual. So either canon is trying to shut the customer up by saying there is a problem when there really isn't, or the problem exists and affects more than what the naysayers try to say on these threads. Just saying.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,842 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by Phoenixkh.

Feb 25, 2016 16:33 |  #57

Frodge wrote in post #17912879 (external link)
So it seems like this problem isn't a figment of peoples imagination. I've been following these 7dii threads for months and have hears there are only 2 or 3 problems and the rest are user error or from not reading the manual. So either canon is trying to shut the customer up by saying there is a problem when there really isn't, or the problem exists and affects more than what the naysayers try to say on these threads. Just saying.

That was my problem. Mine worked so flawlessly as I mentioned, I thought I must be doing something wrong when I started missing shots on a consistent basis. I knew I hadn't changed anything except the firmware and I didn't really know anyone else who had a problem with the newest firmware.

I got a bit paranoid and bought a 1D IV to see if it was me. I was relieved to find out it wasn't me.... and a bit perturbed as well. I sold 3 lenses and my new Canon replacement 7D2 at reduced prices to pay for the 1D IV and the 16-35 f/4L I bought. It was right after Christmas so I priced things to move quickly. The purchasers both got a great deal.

That said, the 7D2 is a very fine camera. I don't think the problems are systemic. I think they are rare and random, based on the reading I've done. But when it's bad, it can be very bad. Because the AF is fairly complicated and there is a learning curve, people aren't sure if it's them or the camera when things are fuzzy/out of focus. I know I spent quite a bit of time early on reading about the AF system, took advice from a few people and was able to fine tune things for my shooting style. It takes some effort but isn't all that difficult if you work with it. Canon replaced my defective one, so they stood behind their product.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,092 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 25, 2016 19:56 as a reply to  @ post 17910952 |  #58

That does't sound like it's working properly.
In the past I found that older model cameras would "go looking" for a subject in servo mode if there is no movement. I haven't had my 7D2 very long (3 months) but I have only ever used servo mode regardless of the subject and have had no issues. I have been doing exactly the same with my 1DX for over 2 years - servo for everything, again no issues. I am not absolutely certain but I don't think that I have ever even turned on single shot AF!
I haven't, yet, used my Canon 28 F2.8 on the 7D2 but my 5 other lenses work just fine in servo mode on static subjects.
I hope you can get it sorted or find a solution as my experience is the opposite of yours which is why I think there may be something wrong somewhere.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,092 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 25, 2016 20:19 as a reply to  @ post 17911264 |  #59

If it's any help I have used both case 1 and case 5 (servo mode only) on my 7D2 and haven't seen any difference! It is currently set on case 5 because I haven't bothered to try another mode as it just focuses.
I wouldn't get too hung up on the number of posts about the 7D2 AF system (some of them are mine!) as there are very few (though still too many) who have had real issues with the camera. There have certainly been some less than perfect examples (see Pondrader's posts) but the vast majority are excellent - mine and all the local ones certainly are. Persevere a bit before you make any decision as, assuming yours is working properly, you will have to spend a LOT of money to get a better AF system.

As an aside I am hoping to be in Alberta in July (big sister's big birthday) though I will be down south in Calgary. Really enjoyed my last visit in 2006 (Edmonton, Calgary and Jasper) - you have some lovely country there!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,640 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Joined May 2002

Feb 25, 2016 20:45 as a reply to  @ Frodge's post |  #60

Nobody has stated there are just 2 or 3, the comments are that the ones with issues are in the minority.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links

25,352 views & 33 likes for this thread
Canon 7D Mark II Focus Issues - What is going on?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.