Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 22 Sep 2015 (Tuesday) 05:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Supermoon Eclipse

Inspeqtor
saying the wrong thing at the wrong time
10,842 posts
Gallery: 133 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 03, 2015 10:25 |  #136

petefromzim wrote in post #17731179 (external link)
Inspeqtor wrote in post #17730964 (external link)
It arcs in the sky.

Unless you are on the equator....

Yes you are correct which I just learned this the other day, but was not thinking about when I posted my note above. But it is evident in the photo in question my answer was correct.

Charles
Canon EOS 90D * Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM* Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-600 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM Contemporary
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

sponsored links
JohnPh
I smell like a Shoulder Shrugging Seal
2,464 posts
Gallery: 181 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 03, 2015 12:40 |  #137

mtbdudex wrote in post #17730844 (external link)
Does the moon arc thru the sky like this, or did you do that in PP?

DreDaze wrote in post #17731183 (external link)
i think what he was asking was more about if those shots were the natural line of the path of the moon, or was that done just to show a path meanwhile the actual shots would have been a lot closer together

considering the moon and landscapes were taken with two different lenses, i think it's all done in PP...if i understood his question right...either way i'm sure johnph can answer whatever he's asking

Yes it does arc in the sky where I am, but this is a representation of the arc, done in PP, rather than a actual shot of it, to get the full arc I would've lost it out of frame at 28mm. I did actually shoot the moon with a 200mm on a tracker at 8 minute intervals on a 550D, and at 100mm on a 5D3. The 100mm provided the most natural perspective on the 28mm landscape shot.

ՕFlickr (external link)500px (external link)
Facebook (external link)
serial underexposer
Gear

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,641 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 03, 2015 22:33 |  #138

samsen wrote in post #17729344 (external link)
So make sure you continue to pet your toy and don't let it go cheap or easy!

I was wondering if there is a super nova or what that has caused such a brighness in Astro forum. Never could imagine its because Ron is back!
Welcome back pal and hope to see a lot of you here.
Don't forget to "Bee hive" as a lot of people here, like me, want to have the pleasure of your presence and your wisdom, here.
Again welcome back and forum is not the same without certain people, including you.

Thanks Samsen , yes I was taking time , thanks for the comments .

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,641 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 03, 2015 22:40 |  #139

mtbdudex wrote in post #17730840 (external link)
+1 I think Ron took time off to re-charge his "inner batteries", nice to see him posting again.

Here's my image for this thread
Lunar eclipse 9/27/2015 composite SE Michigan:

This is my 1st composite of the night, taken on fixed tripod, these are 2 minutes apart, 10:44pm - 11:06pm.
Canon 70D, 70-200mm L @ f2.8, ISO 3200, 1/15 sec each.
The faint "dots" are stars that showed up in the capture.
Hartland, Michigan, USA.

QUOTED IMAGE

This is my 2nd composite of the night, taken on fixed tripod, these are 2 minutes apart, 11:10pm - 11:34pm.
Image is taken as leaving totality, so you can see the transition.
Canon 70D, 70-200mm L @ f2.8, ISO 800, 1/8 sec each.

QUOTED IMAGE

Thanks mtbdudex , that recharge is a nice way of putting it ;) . I even stayed in the night of this event . I went out about every 30-45 mins to see what phase it was in but I never even turned my camera on . I've seen so many of these events , stayed up all night long imaging and done a lot of editing I decided this time I would just let others enjoy the thrill and I would just look at pictures as they get posted . BTW this is some excellent composites here . Very nice edits !

mtbdudex
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Nov 2009
Post edited over 5 years ago by mtbdudex.

Oct 04, 2015 05:48 |  #140

JohnPh wrote in post #17731313 (external link)
Yes it does arc in the sky where I am, but this is a representation of the arc, done in PP, rather than a actual shot of it, to get the full arc I would've lost it out of frame at 28mm. I did actually shoot the moon with a 200mm on a tracker at 8 minute intervals on a 550D, and at 100mm on a 5D3. The 100mm provided the most natural perspective on the 28mm landscape shot.

I've got into this discussion on Space.com facebook page, arc of the moon
https://www.facebook.c​om …276466/?type=1&​permPage=1 (external link)

This is the NASA APOD for Sept-29-2015 (external link), not mine, clearly the moon does not have such a severe arc, simply I'm just curious why your arc is so severe?

IMAGE: http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/1509/LightningEclipse_Hervas_960.jpg

Mike R, P.E. ...iMac 27"(i7), iPad2, iPhone5s, 24" iMac, AppleTV(160), MacBook
Canon: 70D, T1i + lens:70-200 L f2.8 IS II / TC 1.4x 2x / 15-85 / f1.4 50 / UWA 11-16 Tokina
FEISOL tripod CT-3441S + CB-40D Ball Head, iOptron EQ tracker
My top 10 in Astrophotography. . .DIY acoustic panels (external link) . . APOD Aug-5-2011 (external link)

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 04, 2015 06:53 |  #141

mtbdudex wrote in post #17732060 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

Nicely done!

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Big ­ Frost
384 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 04, 2015 16:31 |  #142

Finally got around to editing my attempted "blood moon" pictures from last Sunday.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Photos By Frost (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

41,185 views & 138 likes for this thread
Supermoon Eclipse
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.