Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 27 Sep 2015 (Sunday) 04:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pro weddingphotographer skips shoot groom

CanonYouCan
Goldmember
1,488 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 27, 2015 04:10 |  #1

I was just checking the pictures/timing of a professional weddingphotographer :

8h Barber
9h Shoot bride at home
9h45 Groom arriving at home bride
10h30 Shoot couple
12h45 Shoot familiedrink at home
1400 Pictures in the bus and through the window of the couple driving after the bus
14h30 Town hall ceremony
15h45 Church
17h30-20h Weddingparty

I followed some online courses and there where also pics taken of the groom (putting tie on,...)
Maybe this photographer didn't have time enough? It this part often skipped?

Sony A7 III | Metabones V | Canon 16-35 F4 L | Sigma 85 1.4 Art | 70-200 2.8L II
Lighting : Godox AD600B TTL + Godox V860II-S + X1T-S
Modifiers: 60cm Collapsible Silver Beautydish + grid | Godox 120cm Octagon softbox + grid + Speedlite Flash bender
Tripod: Vanguard Alta 253CT carbon

sponsored links
jimeuph1
215 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Sep 27, 2015 05:18 |  #2

The groom getting ready is not a ritual like the brides getting ready is.

Though I would always skip the bride getting into the car, and exchange it for the groom and best man waiting for the bride to arrive at the church/venue.

You have to prioritise, you can't be in two places at once.

With same sex couples they have already thought about how they are walking up the aisle, so you plan around that.

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 27, 2015 08:05 |  #3

Shot a wedding yesterday. I had PLENTY of time but the groom did not want getting ready images.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Niccas9
798 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 27, 2015 11:09 |  #4

I think the timetable is going to reflect the wants of the couple (specifically bride). I recently shot a wedding for a co-worker of mine and they didn't want much of the groomsmen getting ready but she wanted me to spend extra time in the setup and the details of the wedding decorations. Also, the list you have allocates 2.5 hours for wedding party pictures, that seems like overkill to me. Even with family photos etc., it can all get done well under 2.5 hours.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 27, 2015 12:57 |  #5

The rules are... that there are no rules. What couples want covering varies from wedding to wedding.

Peter

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Post edited over 5 years ago by bacchanal.

Sep 28, 2015 07:43 |  #6

The bride and groom often get ready at different locations. If there is only one photographer, the photographer generally covers the bride.

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 19, 2015 20:03 |  #7

I always have a shot list provided by the bride and pics of the groom and groomsmen getting ready is rarely of high importance. I usually get a few shots of them after they're ready, but I do what the bride wants and it's not often mentioned.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,175 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 19, 2015 20:20 |  #8

As mentioned above the bride getting ready is practically a festival unto itself. It involves mothers, sisters, best friends, the hairdresser, makeup artist, its an event she'll cherish.

The groom puts on a tie and waits with his buds.

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011
Post edited over 5 years ago by mike_311.

Oct 20, 2015 06:54 |  #9

you can usually get a shot of the groom at the church or wherever with a groomman or father fixing his tie or giving a shoulder grab or some other buddy moment that will suffice.

In all the weddings I've done, the grooms don't want getting ready pics or would rather I got a different shots instead.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

benji25
Goldmember
1,107 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 20, 2015 13:22 |  #10

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #17723593 (external link)
The rules are... that there are no rules. What couples want covering varies from wedding to wedding.

Truth. I had a couple that wanted a first look but didn't want me to photograph it. They wanted it to be their special time with only them there. I found that interesting.

Website (external link)
flickr (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 21, 2015 14:24 |  #11

I do it at 90% of weddings. The other 10% is where there's no time or no interest. Multiple locations are no problem, I just suggest the groom gets ready earlier.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links

2,863 views & 2 likes for this thread
Pro weddingphotographer skips shoot groom
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.