Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 05 Oct 2015 (Monday) 14:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EF 50mm f1.8 STM

tomstephens89
55 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by tomstephens89.

Oct 05, 2015 14:37 |  #1

So I decided to pick up the new 50 STM since its so cheap and I have to say... I am very impressed, the bokeh this lens produces makes me happy... For under £100 as well! Heres a quick test shot, nothing amazing... just what I had on my desk at the time. This is the first time I have owned an f1.8 lens and wide open I think its going to take me a tad getting used to in regards to getting the sharpness exactly where I want it.

What do you guys think of this new little 'nifty fifty'? I can't wait to use it in anger.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

See my flickr profile here (external link)
Canon 5DSR | Canon 16-35 F4L | Sigma 50mm F1.4 ART

f1.4bthere
141 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Oct 05, 2015 16:56 |  #2

I got mine 2 weeks ago to use on my only EOS body(EOS630). So far I've only shot 2 rolls of film with it. I'm very impressed with it. The 7 rounded aperture blades make nice round out of focus highlights stopped down to about f/4. The focus is fairly fast and very accurate(and quiet but not silent).

Bill in Houston Texas
Digital-Nikons D7100, D300, D40, Canon 1D Mk III. And a collection of film cameras.

IrishK
528 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 07, 2015 09:47 |  #3

I'm waiting on one of these to come in the post. For under £100, you can't go wrong for a lens that offers f/1.8.

artsf
360 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2015

Oct 08, 2015 12:21 |  #4

I wasn't happy with mine. The real test is to use it for environmental portraits and outdoors - contrast and sharpness from 10ft is average wide open. Colors are dull - needs PP. I am getting much better results with 85mm f1.8. For product photography, nifty fifty is ok. Quality of bokeh while not as distracting as the old 50mm but still nowhere near as smooth as 85mm.

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,702 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Oct 08, 2015 12:23 |  #5

It is miles better than the last gen. I'd pick the STM over the much more expensive 1.4 because I honestly think it's a better lens.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,119 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon EF 50mm f1.8 STM
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.