Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Oct 2015 (Monday) 06:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

70d bounce flash

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by Bassat.

Oct 29, 2015 20:20 |  #121

Lastly. It is worth noting that the walls are not underexposed in these shots. They are painted grey. Also, all frames were shot in near total darkness. There is one 25W night-lamp 8 feet to camera left. No other lights besides the fish tank and the flash. Friggin' amazing!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
Frodge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,051 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 29, 2015 20:24 |  #122

Nice that this is a workaround. I still feel that it should work by metering through the lens at the focus point. Now its just another step. Have to point at a dark subject and lock the flash exposure. At least its something!

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Oct 29, 2015 20:26 as a reply to  @ Frodge's post |  #123

I just framed, hit the BB focus, hit the FEL, hit the shutter. Easy enough for me. I still think Canon should fix it.

Can't wait to hear from the 'operator error' crowd.

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,009 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 29, 2015 20:36 |  #124

I've drank too much rum tonight... I don't understand what is being done to account for the dramaic exposure difference between shots... (hic!)  :p :-P

Will immaculens.com (external link) gear
Learn to love to do well, and you shall. ~ C. Poseidon

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by Bassat. (4 edits in all)

Oct 29, 2015 21:24 |  #125

I just retested with a different lens and a different flash (10-18 STM and 580EX II). Good results with both. FEL seems to solve the problem. I can post these pics, too, if anyone wants to see them.

70D, 580EX II, 10-18 STM @ 10mm. Again, nothing changed between frames except pressing the FEL button before releasing the shutter. This is ETTL-II on the 70D!

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Oct 30, 2015 06:14 |  #126

Works with the 270EX II, also.

Frodge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,051 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 30, 2015 06:26 |  #127

Nice. Thanks for doing all the footwork to resolve this. I'll let my brother know today...

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Oct 30, 2015 06:34 as a reply to  @ Frodge's post |  #128

No problem. I bought my 70D for two primary reasons. Better AF than my 6D, and video, but this just sticks in my craw.

I have been experimenting with FEL. Sometimes I am in ai-servo with flash, and chasing kids around a party or something. BBAF, FEL, and shutter release is going to be an issue. May have to go back to shutter button AF for those situations. Or just take the 6D. A properly working 70D would be preferable.

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Oct 30, 2015 06:47 |  #129

I think I have found a better solution to managing 3 buttons. Instead of using right thumb for AF-ON and *, I moved FEL to the DOF button. That way I can be in ai-servo, keep my thumb on AF-ON to chase kids around, and still manage DOF button with left hand, and the shutter release. The technique will need some practice. And I have to remember to switch my DOF button around. I usually leave it on one-shot/ai-servo toggle.

Frodge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,051 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 30, 2015 06:48 |  #130

I'll have to try that. Seems gymnastic in nature. Canon should be ashamed that they don't release a firmware upgrade for this. I'm glad you found this, but it is a band aid.

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Oct 30, 2015 06:55 |  #131

Frodge wrote in post #17765524 (external link)
I'll have to try that. Seems gymnastic in nature. Canon should be ashamed that they don't release a firmware upgrade for this. I'm glad you found this, but it is a band aid.

Yes, I would prefer a properly working 70D. Do any Canon reps read these threads? It seems that identifying a working fix also identifies the reality of the problem. Canon, fix my 70D, please!

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,878 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 30, 2015 07:48 |  #132

Bassat wrote in post #17765033 (external link)
RESULTS: WILL YOU FLIPPING LOOK AT THIS! THANKS APERSSON850!

Hehe, you are welcome. There seems to be a lot of people who take better pictures than I do, but not too many who knows the technical details of the cameras much better.

I'm still happier taking crappy photos with my 1DX than with a cell phone camera.

Anders

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,009 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 30, 2015 07:51 |  #133

Bassat wrote in post #17765537 (external link)
Yes, I would prefer a properly working 70D. Do any Canon reps read these threads? It seems that identifying a working fix also identifies the reality of the problem. Canon, fix my 70D, please!

Bryan at the-digital-picture.com has canon connections. If he understood the nature of the issue he would surely put it in front of Canon folks.

Will immaculens.com (external link) gear
Learn to love to do well, and you shall. ~ C. Poseidon

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Oct 30, 2015 08:24 |  #134

Immaculens wrote in post #17765599 (external link)
Bryan at the-digital-picture.com has canon connections. If he understood the nature of the issue he would surely put it in front of Canon folks.

I have contacted Bryan via his web-site. If anyone else is so inclined, the e-mail is: DELETED. Bryan has acknowledged the issue and passed it to Canon. Though I am still hoping someone at Canon reads this stuff.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,298 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 30, 2015 09:21 |  #135

Frodge wrote in post #17765524 (external link)

There might be some easier ways to accomplish this with custom functions. Check the link at
http://blog.dojoklo.co​m …d-tricks-custom-controls/ (external link) specifically the text just above Figure 3. Good article in all respects by the way.

I don't have a 70D but I have in my notes that on the 60D the distance established by the preflash is retained for 16 seconds. I wonder what that does for a moving subject? Is the time interrupted by a subsequent preflash?

sponsored links

48,986 views & 78 likes for this thread
70d bounce flash
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.