Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 13 Oct 2015 (Tuesday) 16:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

B&H - How they treat their workers...

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,834 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Oct 14, 2015 19:08 |  #16

We were down in Tampa this past weekend..... I stopped into a local camera shop there... one I thought still carried inventory, etc. It was sad to see.

We had a great camera shop here in Gainesville, Florida when we moved here in 2004... but they are reduced to printing photographs and selling a few accessories now.

I heard there is one camera shop in Jacksonville and one in Palm Beach... that's about it for Florida.

I'd rather spend my money locally but that isn't possible at the moment. I use Amazon, B&H, Adorama and Allen's Camera. All 4 have been excellent.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

sponsored links
AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,609 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 16, 2015 12:23 |  #17

Reading this post I celebrate the fact that workers still have the right to organize and hope those who want to deny that right fail at the ballot box.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

gmm213
I know some really nice clowns
783 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Oct 19, 2015 20:11 |  #18

Unfortunately as quite a few have said there isnt a local camera market anymore. We have Richmond camera but there in house inventory is vary vary limited and quite expensive. But if this is true Ill look elsewhere online if need be

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
Mayhem # 3789333 (external link)

ThreeHounds
841 posts
Gallery: 77 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Oct 20, 2015 13:46 as a reply to  @ Phoenixkh's post |  #19

Yes, Palm Beach Photographic is still there and doing well apparently. Calumet in Ft Lauderdale closed when they filed for Bankruptcy. I see they're reorganizing, so who knows. Another smaller shop here in Delray Beach... great guys and knowledgeable, but just can't carry the stock. If I have time, I order through them, although it is more expensive. I like having a source close at hand. But, often have to do the internet order with the big guys, just because of the time factor.

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

Artdime
273 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 20, 2015 17:55 |  #20

I am surprised that Henry P has not chimed in.... A little disappointed actually. I think a statement would be appreciated.

- Florian
http://artdime.com (external link)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,439 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by David Arbogast.

Oct 21, 2015 00:49 |  #21

Artdime wrote in post #17753816 (external link)
I am surprised that Henry P has not chimed in.... A little disappointed actually. I think a statement would be appreciated.

Anything Henry might say on the matter can and will be used against him/BH in a court of law. :p I kid, somewhat, but am reminded that so often when serious allegations of wrongdoing against companies are made the talking is frequently regarded as best left to lawyers.

If the workers are being unfairly treated, then I hope they gain a victory. And, likewise, if the claims are indeed hyperbole and contrived, then I hope to see B&H vindicated. In other words I sincerely hope those who are in the right prevail. Sadly I have no personal experience or knowledge in the case and have no way of discerning either way.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

henryp
419 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Oct 22, 2015 16:06 |  #22

ksbal wrote in post #17744277 (external link)
This is very disturbing if proven true.

"In the main B&H warehouse located in Brooklyn’s Navy Yard, the walls and ceilings are insulated with fiberglass that fills the air and flecks off onto the worker’s skin, causing rashes, respiration problems and daily nosebleeds, employees say.

There is NO fiberglass and no asbestos. There's inert sprayed-on insulation that helps with both temperature control and sounds but it's NOT fiberglass and it's not filling the air and it's not flaking off. I was there most of the day Wednesday. I saw a hundred workers. None was coughing. I saw no nosebleeds and did not notice any rashes.

The men, many of whom are undocumented,

We require documentation from EVERY PERSON we hire for every position in every location. We conform to all local, state & federal laws and regulations for recruiting, hiring and employment.

...after being denied access to water or bathroom breaks. They say there is often a lack of basic safety equipment. “If we ask for gloves, they answer that they do not have gloves, because gloves are too expensive,” said Isaias Rojas, a B&H employee.

Workers are free to move about the warehouse at will. Coffee is free, canned soda is $1. There are water fountains scattered throughout and the bathrooms are as clean as those in my own home. I asked a manager who did not know who I was about gloves. He showed me a box at his desk with several hundred and boxes in a storeroom with several thousand more. he told me he'd give a worker 3 pairs per day if the worker asked.

Workers have the legal right to pursue union representation and there's a procedure in place for the union to have them vote. We will not impede this process in any way at all. No one has been fired, no one was locked out, no B&H manager threatened any employee.

Henry Posner (external link)
B&H Photo-Video (external link)

Furlan
736 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 22, 2015 17:02 |  #23

New York State and New York City have some of the strictest labor laws in the country. In my
opinion this thread should be closed close to political. To many posts from folks who don't have
a clue.

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,774 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001
Post edited over 3 years ago by Pekka.

Oct 22, 2015 17:17 |  #24

Furlan wrote in post #17756326 (external link)
New York State and New York City have some of the strictest labor laws in the country. In my
opinion this thread should be closed close to political. To many posts from folks who don't have
a clue.

I'm not closing this yet, as it is an issue that is on topic of photography and about a big player in photography gear sales. If the thread keeps calm and avoids personal attacks and ethnic comments it can go on.

I appreciate that Henry took time to comment on this.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
2,470 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Oct 22, 2015 17:21 |  #25

Furlan wrote in post #17756326 (external link)
a clue.

I think it falls short of the political threshold, that members are keeping it civil, and the topic is tremendously relevant to the forum. I'd rather the thread stay open and allow more facts to filter in.

I do think some people have a tendency to react to one-sided stories and innuendo, and I hope we can keep it balanced.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

Lumens
445 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Oct 22, 2015 18:31 |  #26

I believe this thread falls under the questionable category. I have worked on both sides of the fence both Union and Non-Union. One thing I have learned is true for most situations. DO NOT BELIEVE what you read on the Internet or in the newspaper and DO NOT BELIEVE what you see on TV especially the News Channels. Bottom line if you don't experience it first hand then be doubtful - take it with a grain of salt. Yes it may be true, but then again it is just as likely to be false.

Until I have a chance to view it "On Site" and see it happening I will say it is definitely maybe happening but I am not sure. It is either True or False that is definite. In the meantime I get great service from B&H and believe them to be upright and honest, I will continue to do business with them. So far I have no reason to believe differently.

FUJI XT-2 & FUJI XT-3 ->
12mm Roki, 16 f1.4, 35 f1.4, 56 f1.2, 80 Macro
10-24, 18-55, 55-200, 100-400

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,822 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 3 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Oct 22, 2015 21:48 |  #27

I think some good points were made above re; the strictness of NYS/NYC labor law, and also don't forget OSHA.

I would imagine if the violations in the online article linked were as serious as claimed, a simple phone call would have resulted in more than an online article.

As mentioned, we don't know for sure either way. I'm just saying I would not rush to judge any one based on something we read on the internet. When the OSHA fines are levied, the national labor relations board hearings or Immigration authorities actually rule against someone in a court of law, (let alone a case is actually pending) that would be when I would pass judgement. Till then this is all hearsay, no?

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by Alveric.

Oct 22, 2015 22:50 |  #28
bannedPermanent ban

Thanks to Mr Posner for clarifying things out, especially the issue of 'undocumented' workers. I said I was disgusted with B&H, because the practice of hiring illegal immigrants who can be paid less both in terms of salary and benefits strikes me as one of the most loathsome manifestations of greed. I'm glad that B&H is NOT doing so, and thus I retract my previous comment.

I also didn't look at the URL of the newscaster: major oversight on my part.

News... heh, I remember reading somewhere that 'newscasters tell you half of what actually happens, and if to that you add the fact that newscasters invent half of what they say...' where does that leave us?

As for unions, meh, all that results is the workers escaping Scylla only to be devoured by Charybdis.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Moppie
14,840 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Oct 22, 2015 23:29 |  #29

chantu wrote in post #17745579 (external link)
Hmm, the article was published in aljazeera.com. Anti-Semitic bias? Just saying ...

I would suggest doing some research into Aljazeera before making a statement like that.
They are the most widespread, objective and agnostic news network currently producing global content.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

henryp
419 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Oct 23, 2015 10:17 |  #30

Alveric wrote in post #17756694 (external link)
Thanks to Mr Posner for clarifying things out, especially the issue of 'undocumented' workers. I said I was disgusted with B&H, because the practice of hiring illegal immigrants who can be paid less both in terms of salary and benefits strikes me as one of the most loathsome manifestations of greed. I'm glad that B&H is NOT doing so, and thus I retract my previous comment.

Thank you. I appreciate this.

Henry Posner (external link)
B&H Photo-Video (external link)

sponsored links

18,626 views & 53 likes for this thread
B&H - How they treat their workers...
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.