Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 14 Oct 2015 (Wednesday) 20:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Product Differences (Adobe)

WA ­ Tiger
656 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 14, 2015 20:36 |  #1

So what are the differences between Lightroom CC and Photoshop Elements/Premier Elements/Photoshop Express and Photoshop?

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,254 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 14, 2015 20:46 |  #2

Lightroom is a combination photo organizer and editing suite. It allows for color correction, cropping some minor pixel editing like cloning out pimples/spots and such.

Photoshop elements is a bargain version of photoshop. It has a less expansovemset of tools but does allow pixel manipulation and editing in layers.

Photoshop is the grand daddy of editing programs. Its possibilities are damn near endless.

Lightroom is fine for many applicarions unless you plan on cutting subjects out of images and putting them Into other backgrounds or that sort of thing.

WA ­ Tiger
THREAD ­ STARTER
656 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 14, 2015 21:44 |  #3

Very good, thanks for the detailed response.

So Photoshop is the one that pretty well covers all the rest.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,420 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 14, 2015 21:50 |  #4

WA Tiger wrote in post #17745897 (external link)
Very good, thanks for the detailed response.

So Photoshop is the one that pretty well covers all the rest.

Yes and no. Photoshop doesn't handle raw files. However, it does come with ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) which uses the same raw editing engine as Lr.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,890 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Oct 14, 2015 23:41 |  #5

I provide this answer regarding the classes of functions which are provided by different programs. Unfortunately I do not know enough about current versions like Premier Elements or Photoshop Express to characterize how they fit against the classes of functionality.

https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=16710804

I can state, though, that when products like Elements or PaintShop Pro convert RAW files, their capabilities in RAW conversion are generally not as robust as the RAW conversion found in ACR/LR.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

WA ­ Tiger
THREAD ­ STARTER
656 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 15, 2015 00:28 |  #6

Well that's interesting because I want a program that does RAW. So is Lightroom CC the one?

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,420 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 15, 2015 01:11 |  #7

WA Tiger wrote in post #17746028 (external link)
Well that's interesting because I want a program that does RAW. So is Lightroom CC the one?

If you do the subscription it comes with Lr and Ps so it shouldn't be an issue.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

WA ­ Tiger
THREAD ­ STARTER
656 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 15, 2015 04:09 |  #8

Scatterbrained wrote in post #17746075 (external link)
If you do the subscription it comes with Lr and Ps so it shouldn't be an issue.

Cheers mate, that's even better!!

RMyers
364 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 15, 2015 08:24 |  #9

I find that 80% of what I do can be done in LR. The other 20% needs Photoshop. Some of that 20% I was able to do in PS Elements, but with the CC versions, I now have full PS and am very happy with the combination.

Rusty
Austin, TX

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Oct 15, 2015 08:26 |  #10

Am I the only one who uses Camera Raw + Photoshop & Bridge?

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,013 posts
Gallery: 543 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 15, 2015 13:33 |  #11

BlakeC wrote in post #17746333 (external link)

If you are in a networked multi user environment, especially if you are using multiple applications from the suite then using Bridge for file management is Adobe's recommended method. Actually as LR doesn't support use over the network (although it is possible to use a mounted network share, as if it were a local drive, but only for a single user.) it is really the only option. I used to use the Bridge/ACR/PS workflow, but that becomes a lot harder if you are able to do most of your work in the RAW converter only. Back then I used to generate a PSD file for every image, which was just about OK with a six megapixel camera, but it's not something you would want to routinely want to do. I also seemed to end up with several different copies, with slightly different processing on each.

So I found that using LR for the photographic DAM and processing, especially with the use of VC's etc was far more space efficient. I like that now I can export a file as needed, use it and then delete it from the local disk. If I need it again then I just export it again. That way if you make a change or two to the image you know that you will always be using the latest version. So all my RAWs, and the around 5% of PSD files live only in LR, and that is my main image management and viewing program.

I also use several other of the Adobe suite applications, and so I will then use Bridge as my file manager of choice when working with anything "graphical" including html files I am working on. In that situation I will usually have exported all of the photographic images from LR to a folder ready to use in whatever project they are destined for. I actually often have both LR and Bridge open at the same time when working on other projects using Dreamweaver or InDesign, or even video in Premier.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,859 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 15, 2015 16:25 |  #12

BlakeC wrote in post #17746333 (external link)

Nope, I'm one of the few that finds Bridge/ACR/PS does everything I need and have never used/had LR. Granted, not many of us, but there are a few!

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,254 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 15, 2015 16:27 |  #13

D Thompson wrote in post #17746890 (external link)
Nope, I'm one of the few that finds Bridge/ACR/PS does everything I need and have never used/had LR. Granted, not many of us, but there are a few!

I used to but once my camera was newer than my Photoshop I use light room as a fancy version of ACR.

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,859 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 15, 2015 16:30 |  #14

gonzogolf wrote in post #17746896 (external link)
I used to but once my camera was newer than my Photoshop I use light room as a fancy version of ACR.

You must be using an older version than CS6?

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,254 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 15, 2015 16:34 |  #15

D Thompson wrote in post #17746899 (external link)
You must be using an older version than CS6?

Decidedly older. I'm not a fan of the subscription model.

sponsored links

4,963 views & 0 likes for this thread
Product Differences (Adobe)
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.