Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 14 Oct 2015 (Wednesday) 20:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Product Differences (Adobe)

Hen3Ry
Goldmember
1,061 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 16, 2015 11:33 |  #46

BlakeC wrote in post #17746333 (external link)
Am I the only one who uses Camera Raw + Photoshop & Bridge?

Nope. I don't see the need for learning Lightroom. Especially since I've been using PS for so long...

It seems to me that Lightroom is basically a Camera Raw Container, hooked to a much too complicated file management system. Not that it's not useful, but it's really not necessary if you already have and know PS.

On the other hand, it would be difficult to get along without the capabilities PS offers.

Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.

Hen3Ry
Goldmember
1,061 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Post edited over 5 years ago by Hen3Ry.

Oct 16, 2015 11:47 |  #47

BigAl007 wrote in post #17746679 (external link)
So I found that using LR for the photographic DAM and processing, especially with the use of VC's etc was far more space efficient. I like that now I can export a file as needed, use it and then delete it from the local disk. If I need it again then I just export it again. That way if you make a change or two to the image you know that you will always be using the latest version. So all my RAWs, and the around 5% of PSD files live only in LR, and that is my main image management and viewing program.

Alan

Probably does take a lot less space. :)

I work in raw (32 bit) as long as I can, and in fact use comp groups to keep different versions of the same image together in one (sometimes huge) PSD file. (Disk drives are cheap). Once done in raw, I open in PS as a Smart Object, which keeps the raw image available for opening, editing, and saving, which will automatically update the image I'm working on. Once done with the images (working in 16 bits) it's saved as a smart object, then Placed (as a linked SO) in a new psd file to be printed.

All this manipulation accomplishes:

1. Always having the 32 bit raw available for updating
2. Images remain in 16 bit and the original color space
3. No file compression (i.e., no jpegs, tiffs, etc)
4. A single final printable modifiable resize-able output product

Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,601 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 5 years ago by Wilt.

Oct 16, 2015 12:37 |  #48

Dan Marchant wrote in post #17747892 (external link)
It seems that lots of people don't want to go the CC route because it requires a subscription. For me that was never the problem. For me the very thing being touted as the big plus point (frequent smaller upgrades) was always going to be the problem.

Having worked in software development my experience is that frequent updates means more chances for disruption to the product by bugs. It seems that LR6 is the embodyment of my fear. In addition introducing new feature regularly means more regular interuptions to my workflow while I learn and absorb these new features.

Very long ago, I was at the leading edge of technology. But I have learned that being so progressive means that very often you are at the BLEEDING EDGE of the technology...which is why I intend to wait a long time before taking up Microsoft on the 'free' Windows upgrade, as I do not wish to incur the cost of debugging it for them.

Furthermore, if you decide to drop the subscription for a cloud plan, what LR software DVD do you have that allows you to fire up your old software to open up the past edit of some longtime inactive photo collection that you have, to transfer your old edits into some newer form that the newest hottest RAW convertor can work with (rather than starting a set of adjustments from scratch for every photo)?!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,040 posts
Gallery: 547 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 16, 2015 15:45 |  #49

Wilt wrote in post #17748006 (external link)
Very long ago, I was at the leading edge of technology. But I have learned that being so progressive means that very often you are at the BLEEDING EDGE of the technology...which is why I intend to wait a long time before taking up Microsoft on the 'free' Windows upgrade, as I do not wish to incur the cost of debugging it for them.

Furthermore, if you decide to drop the subscription for a cloud plan, what LR software DVD do you have that allows you to fire up your old software to open up the past edit of some longtime inactive photo collection that you have, to transfer your old edits into some newer form that the newest hottest RAW convertor can work with (rather than starting a set of adjustments from scratch for every photo)?!

LR will quite happily continue to fire up after you stop your subscription, the only things you actually lose access to are the develop module, so no new edits, and I guess the import dialogue. You will still have full access to the library and the ability to export from it.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,601 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 16, 2015 16:27 |  #50

BigAl007 wrote in post #17748232 (external link)
LR will quite happily continue to fire up after you stop your subscription, the only things you actually lose access to are the develop module, so no new edits, and I guess the import dialogue. You will still have full access to the library and the ability to export from it.

Alan

thanks for clarifying that for me, Alan! OK, one less objection against the subscription cloud model.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5,528 views & 0 likes for this thread
Product Differences (Adobe)
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.