Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 22 Oct 2015 (Thursday) 07:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photos on camera are different when viewing on computer?

Ishoot4fun
275 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 22, 2015 07:04 |  #1

My photos on camera look exactly like what I shot ie: sunrise photos are deep oranges and red, looks awesome ; when I put these photos onto my laptop those deep bright orange and reds are not there , looks washed out; what is causing this?
Sure I could fix in pp , but I figured they should appear as they do on camera...
Maybe my laptop screen needs to be calibrated?

7d/T3i/70-200 f4/50mm f1.8/85 1.8/ 18-55/
430EXII/YN 560ii/

sponsored links
BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Oct 22, 2015 07:08 |  #2

Are you shooting in RAW or JPEG?

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 22, 2015 08:16 |  #3

Camera's LCD screen versus laptop screen, different image appearance...comparing apples to oranges.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

DGStinner
Goldmember
1,040 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Oct 22, 2015 08:26 |  #4

I'm thinking the same as BlakeC. You're seeing the JPG preview on the back of the camera which applies some processing to the image. When you import the RAW file, you have the data captured by the sensor without any processing performed.

Dave Stinner
Gripped 7DII | 6DII
EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L | EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM | Rokinon 8mm | Sigma 150-600
Instagram (external link)

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Oct 22, 2015 08:31 |  #5

DGStinner wrote in post #17755663 (external link)
I'm thinking the same as BlakeC. You're seeing the JPG preview on the back of the camera which applies some processing to the image. When you import the RAW file, you have the data captured by the sensor without any processing performed.

Exactly. Just too lazy to explain. thanks! :)

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

Ishoot4fun
THREAD ­ STARTER
275 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by Ishoot4fun.

Oct 22, 2015 08:44 |  #6

I shoot in JPEG , I been shooting for a few years and do a lot of pp with Lightroom but never made the jump to raw yet..
I never really noticed an issue before, but I did have some wicked looking images on my
Laptop that I shot and did PP too then sent them to Costco to have printed, they were fall shots and the reds did not come out and the Colors looked washed out , so now I been really noticing differences from camera to laptop to printer etc ..

I just figured nice vibrant Colors I am
Seeing with my eyes and capturing those same vibrant Colors with camera when viewing in camera would be the same vibrant look when on lap top but they are not .:-(

430EXII/YN 560ii/

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 22, 2015 08:48 |  #7

chauncey wrote in post #17755645 (external link)
Camera's LCD screen versus laptop screen, different image appearance...comparing apples to oranges.

Likely this. A lot of monitors and laptops come out of the store with the brightness and contrast turned all the way up so this could wash out your colors. If you've never calibrated or made any sort of color correction adjustment to your laptop then things will probably never really match.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

clipper_from_oz
Goldmember
2,569 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Sep 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by clipper_from_oz. (3 edits in all)

Oct 22, 2015 09:27 |  #8

Ishoot4fun wrote in post #17755678 (external link)
I shoot in JPEG , I been shooting for a few years and do a lot of pp with Lightroom but never made the jump to raw yet..
I never really noticed an issue before, but I did have some wicked looking images on my
Laptop that I shot and did PP too then sent them to Costco to have printed, they were fall shots and the reds did not come out and the Colors looked washed out , so now I been really noticing differences from camera to laptop to printer etc ..

Seeing with my eyes and capturing those same vibrant Colors with camera when viewing in camera would be the same vibrant look when on lap top but they are not .:-(

the camera will never catch what your eye sees.....and if you shoot Jpeg you are at the mercy of an algorithm trying to blindly apply color changes/saturation to a scene it has no idea whats in it ..... Better to shoot RAW and adjust the colors in lightroom or Dpp after the event rather than hope Jpeg algorith gets it right. Also never trust the LCD of the camera for colors etc...Best way Ive found is 1. Shoot RAW....2. only use lcd for sharpness and exposure. Then I edit the image color to what I remember in post processing. That way you can recreate it to your memory and satisfaction with little camera color algorithm intervention like JPEG does.

Re laptop screen.....you need to get that right...If the screen is no good then you need to get another one....because having the screen on the laptop reasonably faithful to colors is very imoportant... ANd then you dont need to care what the camera says the colors are because you can fix in post processing and see the result correctly via the laptop screen

Also the washed out appearance doesnt suprise me if you over expose slightly it will be more evident on a bigger screen like a laptops than on a little darker lcd screen set to mid strength brightness. . Also your PP software may be doing it also ....is auto color /brightnerss etc set on the software?...If so get it off.

Clipper
5DSR,5DMkII,Fuji XPRO1,X-T1&X-T20,Fotoman 6x17cm Large Format Panorama Camera,Mamiya Universal 6x9
Canon EF 16-35mm f4 L, 17mm TSE f4 L,50mm f1.4, 24-70 f2.8 L, 70-200mm F4 L, 85mm f1.8, 100-400mm II L,
EF 400mm f2.8 IS II L, Fujinon XF18mmf2, XF35mmf1.4, XF60mm f2, XF18-55f2.8-4.5, XF55-200f4
Rodenstock, Sinar& Nikkor LF lens for Pano (75,95,150+210mm)
flickr (external link)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,302 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 22, 2015 10:02 |  #9

Just a though but have you switched to AdobeRGB? Check to see if the file name begins with an underscore.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

werds
"Yes, Sire. You'll shut your trap!"
613 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Oct 22, 2015 10:02 |  #10

Multiple issues here. What you see on the camera LCD almost always has some home cooked processing in the algorithm. So when you export your raw or jpeg the file has the information there but it may or may not show the processed version depending on what software you use.

Add to this that your monitor needs to be calibrated to provide the proper reference for colors etc. My wife was confused for example why she loved the way pictures look on my monitor but they don't look the same on hers. And that is because her monitor is not calibrated and the color spectrum being display is shifted due to this.

Now when you open a file in a program the program also dictates what you see. For example I have a Nikon D750. When I open my raw files in Capture NX-D the file looks identical to what I see on the back of the camera LCD. That is because Nikon knows its algorithms and settings are carried over and read properly (I can tweak these with custom settings so my camera lcd matches output if I wanted to).

When I use Lightroom though most of the files that are imported use the Adobe default profile and look muted to some degree. But if I go into develop module and down to Camera Calibration - I can change the profile to be Adobe's approximation of the Nikon color profile settings (Portrait, Landscape, etc etc) This does create a closer approximation of what was on the back of the LCD.

This doesn't even touch upon printer calibration. Each printer is not equal. I know in Lightroom I can go into proofing mode to properly match what i see on my screen with a set of color profiles that will accurately show what it will look like once printed, because even though my photo has all these amazing colors maybe it is using 7 shades of red to create the color I see, whilst the printer I might be using only see the data for 4 of those shades. With enough variation like that throughout a photo colors can seem off as well.

BTW - I know I am probably misusing language or terminology - I am less than an expert, just sharing my understanding and limited experience :)

Gear: Nikon D750, Nikon D7200, Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS, Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS HSM EX , Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR1, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Tamron 28-300mm Di VC PZD, Tamron 16-300mm VC PZD, Tamron 150-600 VC, Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.8, Nikon SB-900
POTN Seller Feedback (and other)

PhotosGuy
75,866 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 22, 2015 10:41 |  #11

clipper_from_oz wrote in post #17755710 (external link)
...Re laptop screen.....you need to get that right...If the screen is no good then you need to get another one....

...or consider attaching a better monitor to the laptop.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,838 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by kirkt.

Oct 22, 2015 10:44 |  #12

What you see on the back of your camera is the JPEG that the camera produces based on your Picture Style settings. However, the display itself is tiny and who knows what brightness level you have it set to. What looks good on the back of the camera may look not so good when you see it on a computer display simply because the LCD on the back of your camera and the display on your computer may be set up totally differently, and are of different sizes. An image that looks sharp when you view it on your camera's LCD (without zooming into a 1:1 view) may be dreadfully soft - but the scaling that the display does affects what you see, so always zoom the LCD to check focus in the field.

In terms of colors matching - you are now dipping your toe in the abyss of a color managed workflow. If you shoot JPEG, your image data's color is determined by the Picture Style and is encoded in one of two color spaces: sRGB or AdobeRGB. If all you are shooting is JPEG - no problem. Stick with what works for you (likely sRGB is the way to go). However, differences in what you see on the camera, versus the computer display, versus prints are the result of each device not being brought into a common operating condition. Device calibration and profiling and using a color managed workflow are tools and techniques that attempt to resolve these differences and maintain consistent color and appearance across devices.

There is a LOT of material out on the internet about this subject. Not all of it is correct or cogently written. This write up:

http://www.cambridgein​colour.com/color-management-printing.htm (external link)

is detailed enough but understandable enough to strike a balance for someone looking to venture into the world of color management. There are other tutorials, etc. that I am sure others will suggest as well.

Have fun!

kirk

Kirk
---

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 22, 2015 12:38 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

Ishoot4fun wrote in post #17755678 (external link)

Ach! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
You... edit.... the JPEGs?????

Man, every time you save a JPEG you're throwing away data, in addition to what the camera already chucked when it saved the file. If you're already doing post-processing in LR, why not do yourself an enormous favour and just shoot in RAW? JPEG is mostly for those who don't do any post at all or want a quick sample to shew a client or something.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Ishoot4fun
THREAD ­ STARTER
275 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 22, 2015 14:58 |  #14

Appreciate the help everyone , and with what has been said I
Think I will start shooting in raw and give it a try ߘ I have been shooting in full manual mode for a few years, and I do turn out some great photos with Jpegs and PP, but why not make them better or control them
More with raw files.. I will give it a whirly.
In
Pp with Jpegs I up the clarity , sharpness, Color saturation, contrast, crop, spot removal etc etc..

430EXII/YN 560ii/

PhotosGuy
75,866 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 22, 2015 18:28 |  #15

Ishoot4fun wrote in post #17756167 (external link)
Appreciate the help everyone , and with what has been said I
Think I will start shooting in raw and give it a try ߘ I have been shooting in full manual mode for a few years, and I do turn out some great photos with Jpegs and PP, but why not make them better or control them
More with raw files.. I will give it a whirly.
In
Pp with Jpegs I up the clarity , sharpness, Color saturation, contrast, crop, spot removal etc etc..

Good idea. Put your camera on a tripod & take a shot in max jpg. Then take a 2nd shot of the same thing in RAW. Convert the RAW image to jpg & look at the final file sizes.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

sponsored links

1,484 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photos on camera are different when viewing on computer?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.