Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 04 Nov 2015 (Wednesday) 16:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Godox TTL AD360II and X1

agv8or
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 04, 2015 16:31 |  #1

Just received the Godox TTL AD 360II and X1-c radio trigger set. Tested them with a 5DmII and 5DmIII.

First issue I found is that the X1 "Gr" mode, just like Canons Wireless RT <Gr> mode, is not useable with older (prior to 2012) Canon DSLR's. When the "Gr" mode is selected with the 5DmII the Wireless mode switches from the "Gr" mode to the "All" ETTL mode (non Gr). This is verified on page 23 of the X1 users manual but it is not mentioned in any advertising that I have seen nor is it mentioned on the Godox website. Kind of a handy piece of information to have so if you have an older DSLR and were looking at the X1 system to have the ability to use the <Gr> mode, look elsewhere.

Second issue is that when using the 5DmIII in the "Gr" mode, the flashes will not fire. When the Slave group, in the X1 transmitter, is set to Manual mode in the "Gr" mode the flash output is changed and displays in the Slaves display but the flash does not fire. When ETTL mode is selected the flash will fire a preflash but then does not fire during the exposure. The non Gr "All" Manual and "All" ETTL modes seem to work fine so I am a bit perplexed about why the "Gr" mode does not fire the flashes. I have contacted Godox via email to see what they say so will update later with their response and what is causing the issue.

HSS is an automatic feature and is non selective. When you select the Radio Slave configuration in the AD 360II, HSS is automatically selected and the same happens when placing a TTL flash in an X1 receiver. This is a nice feature so you just shoot and no matter what shutter speed you choose the system just follows along. Worth mentioning there is no Wireless "rear curtain" sync with the X1 system.

What has struck me as odd is that, even though the AD 360II has the same 32 channel 2.4G radio transceiver as the X1 and that the X1 can directly control the AD 360II, their Wireless features are different. The AD 360II has no Master "Gr" mode and only has 3 total Slave groups as does the new Godox TT685 shoe flash. This means that when using the X1 in "Gr" mode you will not be able to use an AD 360II or TT685 in the D and E groups unless you attach a X1 receiver to them. May not be a big deal but again is worth mentioning.

More than likely I am going to ditch the X1 system and just continue to use the Ad 360II with either the Yongnuo YN-E3-RT/YNE3-RX or with the Phottix Odin system which I already have. The X1 does have flash sync delay timing so it will be interesting to see how well that works when Hyper syncing with Studio strobes. The X1 system would be something to look at for someone who does not already have a TTL radio trigger as cost wise, at around $85 for a transmitter and receiver set, it is very competitive especially when you consider the features it offers.

Rand

Gear

sponsored links
OceanRipple*
842 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Post edited over 5 years ago by OceanRipple*.

Nov 04, 2015 17:05 |  #2

Hi, I appreciate that these Speedlites have Godox receivers (& Tx) built in, but I'd be particularly interested to know how they behave when controlled & triggered via an Odin setup - ie with an Odin Rx on the Speedlite. TIA

agv8or
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 04, 2015 18:21 as a reply to  @ OceanRipple*'s post |  #3

In what way? What would you like me to test with the Odins? I did a quick test with the Odins in both Manual and ETTL, and the changes between each 1/3 stop was smooth and consistent when looking at both the image in the view finder and the histogram. I did not use a flash meter to see how accurate the changes were but they looked close enough for my purposes. There was a slight issue in that there was very little, to no change between +0.7 and +1.0 FEC. I chalk this up to the way Odin handles TTL. I have never been a big fan of the way that Odin's handle TTL and the lack of consistency when using Odins in TTL.

Rand

Gear

OceanRipple*
842 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Nov 04, 2015 18:41 as a reply to  @ agv8or's post |  #4

Hi & Tx, It was primarily the reliability of M & FEC increments. So Tx, I take your comments as positive overall. I tend to set my cameras to Average for flash as generally I find it easier to predict what FEC will be required, given what is 'in-frame'.

BlazingSkies
109 posts
Joined Jul 2014
Post edited over 5 years ago by BlazingSkies.

Nov 04, 2015 19:59 |  #5

I am thinking the same, I was wondering though, does the yongnuo e3 rt system with the rx receiver; will it allow me to make power adjustments with the yongnuo trigger on the ad360ii? Thanks I would like to use my existing 600 as secondary groups

agv8or
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 04, 2015 21:56 as a reply to  @ BlazingSkies's post |  #6

I tested the AD360II with the Yongnuo YN-E3-RT transmitter using a YNE3-RX receiver and I get nothing, nada. The flash does not recognize either of my two receivers or the receivers do not recognize the flash. The system is linking and there is communication between the transmitter and receiver but no communication with the flash. I cannot even trigger the flash with the receiver test button.

I also noticed that when using the Odins that if you shut the Odin receiver "off" while it is still attached to the AD360II that it will discharge the flash with a weird sharp sounding crack and then it locks up the flash to where you cannot even turn the flash off except with battery pack. Once you turn the receiver back on then you can make adjustments to the flash and turn the flash "on/off" with the button on the flash. I am beginning to wonder just how Canon TTL compatible this flash really is.

I have contacted Godox once again with these new issues so I wait to hear what can be done to remedy these issues. Kind of a bummer for me as I was really planning to use the flash more with the Yongnuos than I was with the Odins.

Rand

Gear

nixland
537 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 05, 2015 00:15 |  #7

Thanks for sharing. Thats not a good news.

Ulysses01
403 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 05, 2015 00:22 |  #8

agv8or wrote in post #17772440 (external link)
Just received the Godox TTL AD 360II and X1-c radio trigger set. Tested them with a 5DmII and 5DmIII.

First of all, THANKS for passing on the observations and mini-review. Sounds like you're going to enjoy using these. I have a few questions.

First of all: One thing I like about the original AD-360 (I actually have the CheetahStand branded CL-360, but same difference...) is that I can use them with literally ANY camera that has a standard hot shoe. The flash and their associated triggers are brand-agnostic. Can I use the new AD-360 II in such a way, with mirrorless Olympus, Fuji, Panasonic, or Sony cameras? Or is the Canon version of this flash restricted to Canon-only use even in manual mode?

Worth mentioning there is no Wireless "rear curtain" sync with the X1 system.

On the Nikon system, you set this at the camera without requiring the flash to have a specific rear curtain setting. Is that not the case with Canon's implementation?

The X1 system would be something to look at for someone who does not already have a TTL radio trigger as cost wise, at around $85 for a transmitter and receiver set, it is very competitive especially when you consider the features it offers.

No real question here. But this is what I thought, too. The X1 system seems to be a nice deal on its own if you need them. But I don't know that I'd be interested in combining them with the AD-360 II. It would be largely unnecessary.

agv8or
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 05, 2015 07:33 |  #9

Ulysses01 wrote in post #17772856 (external link)
First of all, THANKS for passing on the observations and mini-review. Sounds like you're going to enjoy using these. I have a few questions.

First of all: One thing I like about the original AD-360 (I actually have the CheetahStand branded CL-360, but same difference...) is that I can use them with literally ANY camera that has a standard hot shoe. The flash and their associated triggers are brand-agnostic. Can I use the new AD-360 II in such a way, with mirrorless Olympus, Fuji, Panasonic, or Sony cameras? Or is the Canon version of this flash restricted to Canon-only use even in manual mode?

I only have Canon cameras so I could not answer this. I thought they were Canon TTL compatible but with them not working with my Yongnuo YNE3 radio triggers I am beginning to wonder. Those triggers work with all my non RT EX Speedlites as well as my Mitros+. I am actually hoping that I have a defective flash or firmware issues as I was really hoping to use the AD360II's with my Canon Wireless RT system. I have another AD360II on order and TT685c but they have not arrived yet. I will see if I have the same issues with them.

On the Nikon system, you set this at the camera without requiring the flash to have a specific rear curtain setting. Is that not the case with Canon's implementation?

When using the wireless system the "2nd curtain" sync option is greyed out in the cameras flash menu.

No real question here. But this is what I thought, too. The X1 system seems to be a nice deal on its own if you need them. But I don't know that I'd be interested in combining them with the AD-360 II. It would be largely unnecessary.

It would be unnecessary if the AD360II actually worked with all Canon TTL radio triggers but so far in my testing this has not proven to be the case. They do not even work in the <Gr> mode with the Godox X1 transmitter and I have tested two separate X1 transmitters. Is this an issue with the AD360II or the X1? Time will tell and I am hoping to hear back soon from Godox to see what they have to say.

When I get time I am going to test the X1 with the Adorama Rovelights to see if I they will even work and whether I can pick up that extra stop of flash exposure like I can with the Phottix Odins, by adjusting the flash sync timing. At 1/5 the price of Odins this might make the X1 worth buying if they work but I am not holding my breath as I have been unable to get the Yongnuo 622's to work where others have succeeded.

I am hoping that others chime in with their experiences but so far there does not seem to be a lot of information out there (I have looked high and low) or testimonials from anyone using them. Godox has released very little info on them as well and they do not even make a PDF copy of the manual available on line as do other manufacturers, or at least not so that I can find.

Rand

Gear

Ulysses01
403 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 05, 2015 08:37 |  #10

agv8or wrote in post #17773076 (external link)
I am hoping that others chime in with their experiences but so far there does not seem to be a lot of information out there (I have looked high and low) or testimonials from anyone using them. Godox has released very little info on them as well and they do not even make a PDF copy of the manual available on line as do other manufacturers, or at least not so that I can find.

The challenges of being on the bleeding edge. ;-)a

SamFrench
876 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Nov 05, 2015 08:47 |  #11

Ulysses01 wrote in post #17773128 (external link)

+1 bw!

DDL
453 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Post edited over 5 years ago by DDL. (2 edits in all)

Nov 05, 2015 08:58 |  #12

Rand's posting above reminded me that I had downloaded these earlier this week.

360II Manual

http://www.godox.com …TRO_AD360IIC_20​150817.pdf (external link)

X1-C Manual

http://www.godox.com …al/Godox_X1C_20​150715.pdf (external link)

Sorry the 1st posting didn't have the entire link!

DDL

GearList

elv
Goldmember
1,491 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 05, 2015 09:51 |  #13

agv8or wrote in post #17773076 (external link)
They do not even work in the <Gr> mode with the Godox X1 transmitter and I have tested two separate X1 transmitters. Is this an issue with the AD360II or the X1?

That's an issue with the X1-C transmitter unfortunately. They have the same issue even when using an X1 receiver attached to a Canon flash etc.

A firmware update should eventually fix this though.

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

agv8or
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Post edited over 5 years ago by agv8or.

Nov 05, 2015 12:27 |  #14

Ulysses01 wrote in post #17773128 (external link)

I just never seem to learn no matter how bloody I get. I guess while some go from one bad marriage to another I tend to go from one lighting system to another in hopes that someday I will find the right one. In the mean time, just like divorce, it is costly with many disappointments.

DDL wrote in post #17773151 (external link)
Rand's posting above reminded me that I had downloaded these earlier this week.

360II Manual

http://www.godox.com …TRO_AD360IIC_20​150817.pdf (external link)

X1-C Manual

http://www.godox.com …al/Godox_X1C_20​150715.pdf (external link)

Sorry the 1st posting didn't have the entire link!

Thanks, I could not find those anywhere.

elv wrote in post #17773193 (external link)
That's an issue with the X1-C transmitter unfortunately. They have the same issue even when using an X1 receiver attached to a Canon flash etc.

A firmware update should eventually fix this though.

So they released a radio trigger that does not even fully function with a flash, of their own manufacture, that it was designed to work with? Go figure!

I hope they get the X1 issues worked out but I am more concerned at present with the issue I'm having in trying to get the AD360II to work with the Yongnuo YN-E3-RT and YNE3-RX combo. I had great hopes of integrating the AD360II's in with the Canon RT System but I am getting nothing, there seems to be no communication between the two systems what so ever. Elv do you have any thoughts that might help in the direction to go to resolve the issue?

Rand

Gear

EmaginePixel
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 05, 2015 12:53 |  #15

Oh man... this is disconcerting. I have a package of X1 T/C and couple of TT685Cs on route to me as we speak. Had high hopes but now I may have to lower my expectations. Thanks for the update. I'll keep you guys posted as soon as I get the units running.

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why its called the present” - Kung Fu Panda
EmaginePixel.com website (external link) ----- SportsShooter profile (external link) ----- Facebook page (external link)

sponsored links

118,901 views & 94 likes for this thread
Godox TTL AD360II and X1
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.