Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 11 Nov 2015 (Wednesday) 04:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Share your Best Deer Stalking Shot

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
13,815 posts
Gallery: 1962 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 18, 2018 06:28 |  #406

[QUOTE=KT29;18608854]L​ooks like another no bug day in your neighborhood Jeff. We haven’t had any snow in a couple of days now. Nice pic.ߙ[/QUOTlol very funny Terry. We've had the worst heavy snow of the winter. freezing rain. Not much fun and quite unusual for us at this time of year.

And yes your right May and June are the intense months for the mosquito and black fly. It can be intense. Last year the weather was such that they never backed down all summer turning it into a bug fest until the cold weather in the fall.

So ya at this time of year one knows its right around the corner... Hot and dry is what Im hoping for in the next month or so.

Jeff ........7D Mark II, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 1 month ago by Tom Reichner.

Apr 25, 2018 13:12 |  #407

Pondrader wrote in post #18608955 (external link)
And yes your right May and June are the intense months for the mosquito and black fly. It can be intense. Last year the weather was such that they never backed down all summer turning it into a bug fest until the cold weather in the fall.

So ya at this time of year one knows its right around the corner... Hot and dry is what Im hoping for in the next month or so.

But, but ........

Moist weather means greater vegetative growth, which is exactly what is needed for optimal antler development. . Hot dry springs and summers result in the worst antler years ever!

This thread is, after all, about deer photography :-P . . I want the deer to be at their very best, come autumn.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Mel-S
Goldmember
1,139 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 25, 2018 13:35 |  #408

Picture all that blood rich antler velvet covered with mosquitoes and black flies.

80D, 70D, Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC HSM ART, 24-70 f2.8L, 100-400 f 4.5-5.6L, Sigma 150-600 f5-6.3 DG OS HSM C, TC 1.4x III, 430 EX II, Induro AM24 w/3Pod H1, CT214 w/PHQ-1, and several cold beers.

Hammy74
581 posts
Gallery: 174 photos
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 29, 2018 18:01 |  #409

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/904/39972498220_59abc15b67_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/23Ue​v6N  (external link) POTN-6814.jpg (external link) by Hammy74 (external link), on Flickr

Steve

Sounds
82 posts
Joined Jun 2015

May 05, 2018 04:47 |  #410

One from this week,probably the best encounter with a Roe buck in my life,fella was stalked. Image is full frame taken from the ground lying down HH off elbows. A really special one for me personally as i've long wanted to make an image like this of a Roe buck I don't really know why I have wanted something like this for so long. Maybe it's because Roe are our native and not kept in parks,they represent a wild deer to me,I dunno I love them and adore getting chances.
The image is as framed and shows just how curious Roe can be, boy he came close A cool stalk had to gentley move a hare on,which is kind of funny,considering my obsession with hares,some light to play with and a goodly wind to aid my efforts. Just the most wonderful experience

cheers for looking

stu

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/868/41902589671_fd5b07302b_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/26QM​J3B  (external link) _70F8239Reobuck portait sm (external link) by Stuart Philpott (external link), on Flickr

Pondrader
13,815 posts
Joined Aug 2012

May 05, 2018 04:58 as a reply to  @ Sounds's post |  #411

Nice one Stu

flickr (external link)

Sounds
82 posts
Joined Jun 2015

May 05, 2018 06:12 as a reply to  @ Pondrader's post |  #412

Thanks Jeff,I'm getting soft man:lol: he was so cool I could barely breath afterwards lay on me back like a blummin zombie a complete wreck. So funny !! I guess I get affected because I love 'em so much I dunno mate. I'm also stoked you like him,what a blast

It just got warm here this species I'm told can delay their kids being born????? My gut says they'll appear soon. I've seen them many times but they oft are found in cover so images are super tricky maybe this year i'll get lucky......... wonderful little deer

take care kiddo

Pondrader
13,815 posts
Joined Aug 2012

May 05, 2018 18:00 |  #413

Sounds wrote in post #18619887 (external link)
Thanks Jeff,I'm getting soft man:lol: he was so cool I could barely breath afterwards lay on me back like a blummin zombie a complete wreck. So funny !! I guess I get affected because I love 'em so much I dunno mate. I'm also stoked you like him,what a blast

It just got warm here this species I'm told can delay their kids being born????? My gut says they'll appear soon. I've seen them many times but they oft are found in cover so images are super tricky maybe this year i'll get lucky......... wonderful little deer

take care kiddo

Thats so awesome.. I think they call it Buck fever lol...  :p I have seen it in people many times. like in front of 5 or 6 fox kits lol. I must admit I get a huge chuckle out of it. I end up shooting the people not the critters.. But I do wish I could feel it again. I guess I need something out of this country to shoot.

flickr (external link)

Sounds
82 posts
Joined Jun 2015

May 06, 2018 06:06 as a reply to  @ Pondrader's post |  #414

Yeah I think they do jeff:lol:......I know of this expression,but don't think it's used here,much. always felt it came from the states. Happens to me all the time;-)a,ya know in many ways I don't want to loose that side of me even though it don't help much with keeping the camera still,or my IQ.

I get a fair few chances Jeff,been out already bagged another today and had a go yesterday too, snatched a chance at another buck still in velvet...............f​or some unknown reason it doesn't wear off on me like it should have done by now,guess it's how we are made. But I love it I'm way to passionate about all this to be a photographer but in many ways I see that side of me as my biggest asset,it is really funny though!!!

7 hares in frame this morning doing the mad stuff I should be well over all this with the hares,jeepers I spend so much time with them...............nop​e LMAO:lol::lol::lol:

Pondrader
13,815 posts
Joined Aug 2012

May 06, 2018 06:59 |  #415

Sounds wrote in post #18620414 (external link)
Yeah I think they do jeff:lol:......I know of this expression,but don't think it's used here,much. always felt it came from the states. Happens to me all the time;-)a,ya know in many ways I don't want to loose that side of me even though it don't help much with keeping the camera still,or my IQ.

I get a fair few chances Jeff,been out already bagged another today and had a go yesterday too, snatched a chance at another buck still in velvet...............f​or some unknown reason it doesn't wear off on me like it should have done by now,guess it's how we are made. But I love it I'm way to passionate about all this to be a photographer but in many ways I see that side of me as my biggest asset,it is really funny though!!!

7 hares in frame this morning doing the mad stuff I should be well over all this with the hares,jeepers I spend so much time with them...............nop​e LMAO:lol::lol::lol:

lol getting close to critters is a passion, obsession, addiction.. I'm not quitting any time soon either. :-D even better when they are as fast as a horse.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

flickr (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 1 month ago by Tom Reichner.

May 07, 2018 23:19 |  #416

Sounds wrote in post #18619858 (external link)
Image is full frame taken from the ground lying down ....

Now that there is the way to do it!

That's a really fine image, Stu, and I bet it wouldn't have been nearly as nice if you had been standing or kneeling. . Way to go! . A job very nicely done.

I am surprised by how much the Roe Deer's face looks like our Whitetail Deer. . Facial hair coloration is darn near identical.

Sounds wrote in post #18619858 (external link)
One from this week

You are located somewhere in the UK, aren't you?

I am very surprised that, being in the Northern Hemisphere, this buck would have already grown his antlers and shed the velvet. . I wouldn't have thought that he would be in this condition until sometime in early September.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Brattina1221
34 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2018

May 07, 2018 23:36 |  #417

Great shots! Not an easy one to get without a nice long'er!

Sounds
82 posts
Joined Jun 2015

May 12, 2018 02:59 |  #418

Jeff love the moose...they are sooooo big,I'd adore to see one of these in the wild,let alone make images,sorry slow in reply,so busy bro,just so much work,i'm a wreck !!

B 1221 thank you, Sure my image is shot at 560mm but one can see 400 would have been more than adequate.

Sounds
82 posts
Joined Jun 2015

May 12, 2018 04:56 |  #419

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18621627 (external link)
Now that there is the way to do it!

That's a really fine image, Stu, and I bet it wouldn't have been nearly as nice if you had been standing or kneeling. . Way to go! . A job very nicely done.

I am surprised by how much the Roe Deer's face looks like our Whitetail Deer. . Facial hair coloration is darn near identical.

You are located somewhere in the UK, aren't you?

I am very surprised that, being in the Northern Hemisphere, this buck would have already grown his antlers and shed the velvet. . I wouldn't have thought that he would be in this condition until sometime in early September.

Thank you tom means the world mate from you,I know how passionate you are on your deer, image making,I meant what I said about you inspiring me. It's a frame(or similar) I have craved for a good while Tom,I have so so much to learn about photography,but I know these guys will come and check me out,if I do my bit correctly. SadlyI've not measured up previously,but had some chances. This was special though for me, a wonderful encounter,he gave me a goodly few frames. I'm incredibly thrilled with this set and THIS experience

Tom you are an artist try hard for the best you can do image wise,always feel(this goes to anyone really) you can crit my work),I want to be better and am extremely driven. No one will ever hurt me I've always felt Ss to be a wonderful learning tool for me ,not someone being nasty.I want to be better simple as that !!

I really like being low Tom,I don't find it easy tracking down there off my elbows hence my little hi hat tripod,but I can't always use that in these situations. I find the pov brings me into their world,especially the hares. It conveys an intimacy Tom,for me. I had no options here as the cover was no more than 8/10incres high,the last part (75yards ish) of my approach being made in full view of him.

He's molting, the face will change a bit yet,he'll be a real warm red orange soon cheers on the notes on your whitetail

Yes Tom, UK, pretty much smack bang in the middle:-) I'll point out that this is a true native, so absolutely adapted to here life cycle wise. So yes it's life cycle is different to our other northern hemisphere deer,our red/ fallow rut as you expect. early Autumn But this species adopts a different strategy the rut will be over by sept. The young will be born very very soon if not the first ones right now. Tom we still have the odd buck in velvet, but they are shedding now and conceivably might be a bit late,as this year spring has been somewhat slow in coming. It's been incredibly cold here until last week or so,when It's suddenly gone silly hot,an unusual year.

Tom i'm no expert on deer,but I think this species rut around july/ Aug . Their lives are little seen: i've watched a young buck play sparring with an oldermore mature male once in my life,sadly the light had gone ,so the images are not great:-(. I've seen courtship once got a few frame but I couldn't access them ,every thing is fenced and private here,well most places. One need to seek permissions etc,sadly)

I'd almost lay a bet that this deer's life cycle is so unseen,that Roe rutting images have barely ever been posted here ,even in a forum of this scale. Maybe i'm wrong ,I'd love to see them, if I am. This little solitary deer no herds,......maybe twos and threes together(once I've seen 7,but that's exceptional) keeps itself to it's self. They aren't semi domesticated but live thorought most of the UK

For me this species represent an incredible challenge,I'd love to document the whole life cycle in images Tom,but being realistic it might take my life time to do so.(Especially while I'm so time pressed) They are habitual it seems,I know where I can regularly see them but when one comes to the nitty gritty of their lives the details ,catching those magic special moments,cor buddy, that will not be easy.

Tom I have a site with full access,where this above image was made,I am seeing them regularly and learning hard I'm about a year in with access.,so don't yet know the in's and outs of their behaviours there well enough, or even if they have rutting stands,where they might be. We'll see what comes my way,this summer. I'm hoping for a mum with young fawn image,the girls are fit to burst, right now, but beyond that there will be copious amounts of luck and no mistakes by me,what so ever.

I know already from the antlers already in recent images the boys i'm photographing are not just one individual,so who knows ,there is always hope. I have all the right ingredients to be very fortunate bar that one key element I crave so so much......TIME !!

Sorry for the long winded reply Tom,I just share your love of deer and felt you would be interested to know a bit more about them. and how I feel about them Always with that caviat I am me,a simple humble man not an expert, but I love 'em dude. Stunning animals and I seriously want to know more and make images of more of their lives.

take care kiddo cheers for the words very very kind

stu

KT29
Goldmember
2,540 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined Sep 2010

May 15, 2018 15:43 |  #420

Hopefully these days are gone for awhile now.:-)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Terry

sponsored links

87,750 views & 1,390 likes for this thread
Share your Best Deer Stalking Shot
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.