Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 11 Nov 2015 (Wednesday) 04:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Share your Best Deer Stalking Shot

KT29
Goldmember
3,142 posts
Gallery: 174 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 16, 2020 20:44 |  #856

Have seen this little whitetail buck several times this winter. Pretty easy to recognize him.:-)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Terry

sponsored links
Grizz1
Goldmember
1,765 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 17, 2020 18:26 |  #857

KT29 wrote in post #18993247 (external link)
Have seen this little whitetail buck several times this winter. Pretty easy to recognize him.:-)

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by KT29 in
./showthread.php?p=189​93247&i=i211087992
forum: Wildlife

Another nice one Terry, ho would be easy to keep track of.

Steve
2 Canon 60D's, 70D 18-135,-55-250, Sigma 150-500 OS,Sigma 50mm 1.4 ,Sigma 120-300 Sport,Sigma 10-20. 580EXII

KT29
Goldmember
3,142 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 18, 2020 17:19 |  #858

Grizz1 wrote in post #18993717 (external link)
Another nice one Terry, ho would be easy to keep track of.

Thanks Steve. We’ve had at least another foot of snow since I last seen him. I look forward to seeing him again before he looses his antlers.ߙ

Terry

rgfrison
691 posts
Gallery: 96 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 18, 2020 20:16 as a reply to  @ post 18992214 |  #859

Sorry for the slow reply, I have been snowed in a cell dead zone for a week now. I tried several different exposure levels and the buck is too dark or when the buck is properly exposed the sky is blown out. I might try a little vignetting to tone down the sky a bit. The buck was behind a no trespassing sign so I was stuck shooting from the spot I was at.
The sun was behind me but the clouds may have been thinner behind the subject creating a bit of backlight. When given a choice I will take a non sky background most times. It is more personal preference than anything. Your buck appears to be more eye level than mine, usually when I have a sky backround I am shooting uphill.

Randy

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,517 posts
Gallery: 154 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 19, 2020 00:06 |  #860

rgfrison wrote in post #18994348 (external link)
Sorry for the slow reply, I have been snowed in a cell dead zone for a week now.

Randy!

I hope that your time snowed in was fun, or at least that it provided you with some opportunities to get out and photograph the snow scenes around you.

Thanks so much for getting back to me about this. . I was really interested in why you didn't want that buck on the skyline.

I tried several different exposure levels and the buck is too dark or when the buck is properly exposed the sky is blown out. The sun was behind me but the clouds may have been thinner behind the subject creating a bit of backlight.

Yeah, sky backgrounds are tough to expose, for the reason you say; it demands pushing the limits of dynamic range. . Even a dark grey sky is so much brighter than the deer that it's hard to expose to get them both okay looking.

I normally just expose as brightly as possible without blowing the sky out completely. . I'll take test shots and keep adding exposure until I get some blinkies in the sky. . As long as the blinkies are small and evenly dispersed, the exposure will be pretty good. . Then when I edit the images, I can raise the exposure on the deer way up to even things out nicely. . It's definitely an "expose to the right" kind of situation.

The buck was behind a no trespassing sign so I was stuck shooting from the spot I was at.

Ain't that always the way it is?! . Deer are never easy.

When given a choice I will take a non sky background most times. It is more personal preference than anything.

Yes, it sure is. . It's good to know that the reason you wanted him off the skyline is because that's simply what you prefer. . It'd be a shame for someone to avoid skyline opportunities because they thought there was no way to get a proper looking exposure. . Of course, there are some situations when it is darn near impossible, but as long as its overcast and not sunny, skylines can usually be managed all right.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

rgfrison
691 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 19, 2020 00:37 |  #861

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18994429 (external link)
Randy!

I hope that your time snowed in was fun, or at least that it provided you with some opportunities to get out and photograph the snow scenes around you.

Thank you Tom, I did do a little hiking. I have about a hundred head of elk wintering just over the hill, but they just opened a late cow season. All roads accessing the area are drifted shut, it is about a 2 mile hike up a steep hill from here, but hoping for some photo opportunities with some of the hunting pressure off them for a time.

Randy

KT29
Goldmember
3,142 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 20, 2020 21:39 |  #862

A winter afternoon whitetail doe.:-)

HOSTED PHOTO

Terry

Terry ­ McDaniel
798 posts
Gallery: 408 photos
Joined Sep 2014

Jan 22, 2020 12:45 |  #863

Couple of White-tailed does staring back at me. Lake Murray State Park, Ardmore, OK

HOSTED PHOTO

TerryMc
"The .44 spoke,
It spit lead and smoke,
And 17 inches of flame."
Marty Robbins

rgfrison
691 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 25, 2020 02:04 |  #864

Some of the locals.

HOSTED PHOTO

Randy

jimmy_racoon
702 posts
Gallery: 220 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 26, 2020 07:37 |  #865

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49432651841_ebe90ee821_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2ijc​gbH  (external link) silence in snow (external link) by James Stewart (external link), on Flickr

Canon 5D2 w/ BG-E6 | Canon 7D Mark 1 | Canon EF 17-40 f/4L | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon EF 70-200 f/4L IS USM | Canon EF 400 f/5.6L | Manfrotto 055XPROB w/ 488RC2 Ballhead | Manfrotto Element Traveler-Big Black | Canon Speedlight 430EX II
Flickr (external link) <--Comments/Favorites welcomed

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,517 posts
Gallery: 154 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 26, 2020 11:03 |  #866

jimmy_racoon wrote in post #18998768 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

Wow!

He appears to be a very big, fully mature buck. . Did you happen to look for shed antlers in the area?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

skrub
22 posts
Joined Jan 2020

Jan 27, 2020 14:00 as a reply to  @ post 17905548 |  #867

Great shot!

Capn ­ Jack
Goldmember
3,219 posts
Gallery: 1475 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 29, 2020 20:05 |  #868

Moose are a type of deer

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from Capn Jack's gallery.

KT29
Goldmember
3,142 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 29, 2020 20:30 |  #869

A young whitetail looking for an afternoon snack.:-)

HOSTED PHOTO

Terry

jimmy_racoon
702 posts
Gallery: 220 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 31, 2020 08:12 |  #870

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18998845 (external link)
Wow!

He appears to be a very big, fully mature buck. . Did you happen to look for shed antlers in the area?

Thank you, Tom
If there were any, they'd probably be covered by falling snow.
Definitely will look next time-Cheers!

Canon 5D2 w/ BG-E6 | Canon 7D Mark 1 | Canon EF 17-40 f/4L | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon EF 70-200 f/4L IS USM | Canon EF 400 f/5.6L | Manfrotto 055XPROB w/ 488RC2 Ballhead | Manfrotto Element Traveler-Big Black | Canon Speedlight 430EX II
Flickr (external link) <--Comments/Favorites welcomed

sponsored links

237,044 views & 3,778 likes for this thread
Share your Best Deer Stalking Shot
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.