Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 18 Nov 2015 (Wednesday) 15:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon Lenses on a7R II?

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 18, 2015 15:07 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

Currently i'm stuck with 5DIII and I would really like to switch to something else, a7R II looks great.

Still trying to research adapters and what lenses will work.

Anyone have personal experience with following lenses on a7R II?

Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L USM
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS USM
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2 L USM
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro
Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art
Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD

What adapter works well? I used to have a7R (mark I) with metabones and camera was decent but AF with canon lenses was awful.

Gear List

sponsored links
Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,601 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 18, 2015 23:59 |  #2

cant answer all your questions, however, most will work well with the a7rii. I've tried the 40 stm and 85Lii and they work like native lenses. I also have the 135L and 24-105L and it works great.

Pretty sure all of your lenses will adapt with MBIV. There's a sizeable thread on FM, however it's not updated so ignore the first page. You'll have to dig deep to get the info.

Sony A7siii/A7iii/ZV-1 - FE 24/1.4 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 - 28-200 RXD
Panasonic G9 - Laowa 7.5/2 - PL 15/1.7 - P 42.5/1.8 - OM 75/1.8 - PL 10-25/1.7 - P 12-32 - P 14-140

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,506 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 12
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited over 5 years ago by Scatterbrained.

Nov 19, 2015 00:10 |  #3

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #17788821 (external link)
Currently i'm stuck with 5DIII and I would really like to switch to something else, a7R II looks great.

Still trying to research adapters and what lenses will work.

Anyone have personal experience with following lenses on a7R II?

Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L USM
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS USM
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2 L USM
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro
Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art
Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD

What adapter works well? I used to have a7R (mark I) with metabones and camera was decent but AF with canon lenses was awful.

I have every lens in your list minus the Tamron and the 40mm. I have an A7RII with the latest Metabones adapter running the latest firmware. I would say that most of the time the AF is just fine. In dark or low contrast environments it will struggle, and if you try to select the small area AF it will struggle, but medium area AF is what I use with it and it does fine. I took mine to Sea World in San Diego to break it in and had no issues with the dolphin show or the orca show. The one issue I have run into is the occasional need to turn the camera off and back on, usually when shooting rapid bursts.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

nekrosoft13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 19, 2015 08:30 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Charlie wrote in post #17789345 (external link)
cant answer all your questions, however, most will work well with the a7rii. I've tried the 40 stm and 85Lii and they work like native lenses. I also have the 135L and 24-105L and it works great.

Pretty sure all of your lenses will adapt with MBIV. There's a sizeable thread on FM, however it's not updated so ignore the first page. You'll have to dig deep to get the info.

my 85L is the mark I, that kinda worries me...

Gear List

nekrosoft13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 19, 2015 08:31 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

Scatterbrained wrote in post #17789348 (external link)
I have every lens in your list minus the Tamron and the 40mm. I have an A7RII with the latest Metabones adapter running the latest firmware. I would say that most of the time the AF is just fine. In dark or low contrast environments it will struggle, and if you try to select the small area AF it will struggle, but medium area AF is what I use with it and it does fine. I took mine to Sea World in San Diego to break it in and had no issues with the dolphin show or the orca show. The one issue I have run into is the occasional need to turn the camera off and back on, usually when shooting rapid bursts.

you also have the 85L (mark I)?

Gear List

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,506 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 19, 2015 12:52 |  #6

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #17789582 (external link)
you also have the 85L (mark I)?

Ah, I missed that it was the mark I. No, mines the markII. However, once you put the lens in manual mode the focus peaking works quite well.

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

MFG
537 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 19, 2015 16:54 |  #7

following, i am tempting to get the Sony too.

still keeping the canon for wedding as main kit.

AIPP Accredited (Australia), WPJA
Professional Wedding, Newborn and Family Photographer
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/ScottGohPhotography (external link)
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au/blog (external link)
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au/babie​s-and-children/ (external link)

nekrosoft13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 20, 2015 17:47 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

i got a chance to play ith a7R II and metabones speed booster, but it was with an old version 0.39 firmware :(

most lenses worked, but only in crop mode.

85L AF worked twice and stopped
24-70 was spotty
70-200 was ok at the short end, bad at long end
Tamron AF worked 3 times, and then stopped, started camera, it worked once, and stopped....

I did order a normal metabones, once I get it I will update it to latest firmware and try the camera again.

Gear List

NeverFollow
Goldmember
1,474 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 20, 2015 18:29 |  #9

I was ready to buy the A7RII but I sat down and asked myself; Do I really want to spend over 3k on a camera and have to use an adaptor that will give to close to factory results but not quite? Do I really want to rely on the build quality of that adaptor during weddings and paid events? Do I really want to worry about dust/unforeseen accidents resulting from attaching lenses? ..... The answer NO! I hate to sound like a downer but its important to really analyze the situation.

If you can deal with these possible issues, then go for it.

https://500px.com/chri​skennedydotphoto (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,506 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 20, 2015 18:44 |  #10

NeverFollow wrote in post #17791065 (external link)
I was ready to buy the A7RII but I sat down and asked myself; Do I really want to spend over 3k on a camera and have to use an adaptor that will give to close to factory results but not quite? Do I really want to rely on the build quality of that adaptor during weddings and paid events? Do I really want to worry about dust/unforeseen accidents resulting from attaching lenses? ..... The answer NO! I hate to sound like a downer but its important to really analyze the situation.

I wouldn't use the A7 cameras for event shooting either.

As far as dust, I had more dust and oil spots in my 1Dx after a weekend of use than in my A7RII after a week long vacation, and two studio shoots.

I do agree with the adapter concerns though, as I've had times where the camera froze and I had to turn it off and back on. Similar to issues some people have had using 3rd party grips on Canon bodies.

If you're getting paid either go all in or keep out, but if you're not getting paid, or if your not shooting events, then using the adapter isn't that big of an ordeal.

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,601 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 20, 2015 19:02 as a reply to  @ NeverFollow's post |  #11

there is the mental analysis, and then the actual moment you commit :twisted:

it's like most gear purchase, you really cant say till you try it. The A7x has been a particularly peculiar experiment for me. The MF aids were so good that most of my lenses are now MF due to the size savings and good accuracy. I'll still use AF glass on occasion, but it's not a high priority, even when shooting events.

I do rely on a few AF lenses for events, but more of a coincidence than a pure need for AF. FE 55 and EF 135L. I shoot the FE 55 because it's legitimately small, and AF fantastic wide open. Probably among the very best 50's available. I have to give up 2/3 stop compared to a 1.2 lens, but I'm fine with that since the 135F2 is only F2, so my workflow is similar since I'm at similar aperture/shutter/iso. Previously, shooting with the 135 would require very high shutter speeds without IS, so I would use a 70-200ii for events....

LOVE the 50 / 135 combo, fits my style very well.

for day to day shooting, you'll never catch me with the 135, instead, I have much smaller and lighter and less expensive options.

Nikon 105 f2.5, very nice lens, a bit heavy though 400+ grams.

OM 24mm f2.8 ~200g, small as the 40 pancake. basically, you can have a small day to day kit, with fairly inexpensive manual glass, and a heavier substantial kit when you feel like it. Sometimes, you can carry a single tiny lens like the voigtlander 40 f1.4 when you want a truly small package.

having these options available is a very enjoyable shooting process. All of them can instantly have IS, and 42mp for a healthy crop mode..... very very nice. Cant say I've enjoyed another camera this much.... it's like a super digital back.

Sony A7siii/A7iii/ZV-1 - FE 24/1.4 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 - 28-200 RXD
Panasonic G9 - Laowa 7.5/2 - PL 15/1.7 - P 42.5/1.8 - OM 75/1.8 - PL 10-25/1.7 - P 12-32 - P 14-140

nekrosoft13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 20, 2015 21:01 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

I don't do events, and what other option is there? I been waiting for Canon to release a decent body and what did we get?

7DII, nothing special
5DS, same, they upped the resolution, still huge, ISO went to hell

And no sensor dynamic range improvements in how many years?

Gear List

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
9,947 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012
Post edited over 5 years ago by mystik610. (3 edits in all)

Nov 21, 2015 11:05 |  #13

Just like anything, there are pro's and cons to consider. By using Canon lenses on an a7rII, you get close to factory results + some significant upsides:

-Sensor delivers better IQ at every ISO than anything Canon currently offers (better at base ISO AND high ISO)
-AF accuracy is significantly better since there no AF sensor mis-alignment to contend with
-IBIS stabilizes every EF lens you own
-Exposure preview means no metering surprises in the midst of shooting a fast moving event with dynamic lighting conditions

I personally wouldn't have any issue shooting events on the a7rII with adapted EF lenses. In my eyes the pros outweigh the cons but of course its a subjective decision.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀIV - α7ʀIII
Sigma 14-24 f2.8 ART - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sigma 35 f1.2 ART - Sony 35 1.8 - Sony/Zeiss 55 1.8 - Sony 85GM

NeverFollow
Goldmember
1,474 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 21, 2015 12:14 |  #14

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #17791167 (external link)
I don't do events, and what other option is there? I been waiting for Canon to release a decent body and what did we get?

7DII, nothing special
5DS, same, they upped the resolution, still huge, ISO went to hell

And no sensor dynamic range improvements in how many years?

I know. Believe me, I practically had the camera in my shopping cart. If it works for you, go for it. Currently I cant justify the switch.

mystik610 wrote in post #17791640 (external link)
Just like anything, there are pro's and cons to consider. By using Canon lenses on an a7rII, you get close to factory results + some significant upsides:

-Sensor delivers better IQ at every ISO than anything Canon currently offers (better at base ISO AND high ISO)
-AF accuracy is significantly better since there no AF sensor mis-alignment to contend with
-IBIS stabilizes every EF lens you own
-Exposure preview means no metering surprises in the midst of shooting a fast moving event with dynamic lighting conditions

I personally wouldn't have any issue shooting events on the a7rII with adapted EF lenses. In my eyes the pros outweigh the cons but of course its a subjective decision.

I agree, but Im currently getting great results with my set up. Yes I know it could be that much better, but at the end of the day even if I made the switch there will always be something thats a little better and thats the black hole that I don't want to get sucked into.....again.

https://500px.com/chri​skennedydotphoto (external link)

blanex1
790 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 22, 2015 12:23 |  #15

i came really close to pulling the trigger on the A7R-2 about 4 months ago!but sat down and asked myself these same questions,as i am not a pro!but just love photography and all that comes with it,i like the sony stuff but find i would rather invest in other canon body's like the 1DX to get the full frame i'm looking for!the A7R-2 is nice but not for 3K,maybe down the road sony will work out the bugs with this camera!and have offer the proper lens adapter for it,for this price the auto focus and speed should be on par with the canon 1DX.

canon 7d bg-e7 5d-mk3 1d-mk3 24-105-L 17-40 L 35/1.4 85/1.8 yougnuo 565 ex 580 ex and lots of other canon stuff.canon 70-200 2.8 L

sponsored links

10,141 views & 1 like for this thread
Canon Lenses on a7R II?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.