Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 18 Nov 2015 (Wednesday) 15:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon Lenses on a7R II?

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,505 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 04, 2015 22:32 |  #31

I did some testing of A7rII to see how well it worked over my Fuji XT1. The 85m f1.8 batis was real nice and eye tracking was very very good but overall for what I shoot (nothing higher than ISO6400), my XT1 is working ok. If I was using sony then I would just get native glass. I do wish that batis was f1.2 or atleast f1.4.

Fuji XT-1, 18-55mm
Sony A7rIV, , Tamron 28-200mm, Sigma 40mm f1.4 Art FE, Sony 85mm f1.8 FE, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art FE
Fuji GFX50s, 23mm f4, 32-64mm, 45mm f2.8, 110mm f2, 120mm f4 macro
Canon 24mm TSE-II, 85mm f1.2 L II, 90mm TSE-II Macro, 300mm f2.8 IS I

sponsored links
nekrosoft13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 14, 2015 22:35 |  #32
bannedPermanent ban

got my a7R II, freaking amazing!!

Game over Canon, Game OVER!

Gear List

elitejp
Goldmember
1,780 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 15, 2015 05:50 |  #33

Ive been eyeing this camera ever since it came out, now i just have to save my pennies

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

nekrosoft13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 15, 2015 08:26 as a reply to  @ elitejp's post |  #34
bannedPermanent ban

it really is worth it, almost all my Canon lenses will AF and with great speed.

I also did order another adapter, the Deo Saker Falcon Lite, that adapter supports all Sony AF features, including Eye AF, Automatic AF and AF in video.

Only two lenses don't work, my 85L (mI) and Tamron 150-600, the 85L (mI) supposelly works on Saker Falcon adapter, and Tamron might work too, since Tamron 70-300 and 200-500 works on Saker Falcon.

Gear List

raptor3x
728 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2011
Post edited over 5 years ago by raptor3x.

Dec 15, 2015 08:52 |  #35

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #17819673 (external link)
I also did order another adapter, the Deo Saker Falcon Lite, that adapter supports all Sony AF features, including Eye AF, Automatic AF and AF in video.

Where did you order this from? I can't find it in stock anywhere.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm dumb. Didn't realize they had a store on their website.

Bodies: X-T1, E-M1ii, G9 Lenses: µ.Z 7-14 2.8, µ.Z 12-40 2.8, µ.Z 25 1.2, X 18-55 2.8-4, µ.Z 40-150 2.8, µ.Z 45 1.2, µ.Z 60 2.8, µ.Z 75 1.8, PL 200 2.8

mannyboi
110 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 18, 2015 05:24 |  #36

Interesting thread as I'm just trying to decide wether to do/don't myself.

Currently own a 5Dii with approx 130k clicks, and I'm really looking to get a more technologically advanced camera. I'm in the exact same boat as OP though, sitting with a bunch of Canon glass and would rather not have to swap it all out. I'm not a pro photographer, but I am running a business and have made a reasonable amount of money this year, and there'll be more next year.

I was pretty much set on getting one, until visiting my local photo shop the other day. He said it was a no-go, hands down. Using Canon glass on a sony body just wouldn't be any good, and he was super confident about it. He advised me to get a 5DSR, which IMO is a completely different camera. After some discussion we landed on the 5Diii, which haven't got what I'm looking for; it's a 4 year old camera, and missing a lot of tech. Going for $3200 where I live, it's a lot for this body when a 7Rii is to be had for $4K. Comparing these two there's no doubt who's on top.

OP, how are you getting along with the 7Rii? Have you got the MB-adapter as well as the DEO? Could you see you self using this camera full time as a main camera, ditching you Canon bodies?

4̶0̶0̶D̶ | 4̶0̶D̶ | 1̶D̶ ̶M̶a̶r̶k̶ ̶I̶I̶I̶ | 5D Mark II | 5D Mark III | A-1 w/ FD 50 1.8 SC
EF17-40 f/4L - EF24-70 2.8LII - EF70-200 f/4L - EF50 f/1.4 - EF40 2.8 - Samyang 14 2.8
2x Elinchrom Ranger Quadra - Manfrotto 055XPROB w/496RC2 - MB PL-3N1-35
www.MNYFOTO.com (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,506 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 12
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 18, 2015 05:49 |  #37

mannyboi wrote in post #17823385 (external link)

Currently own a 5Dii with approx 130k clicks, and I'm really looking to get a more technologically advanced camera. I'm in the exact same boat as OP though, sitting with a bunch of Canon glass and would rather not have to swap it all out. I'm not a pro photographer, but I am running a business and have made a reasonable amount of money this year, and there'll be more next year.

I was pretty much set on getting one, until visiting my local photo shop the other day. He said it was a no-go, hands down. Using Canon glass on a sony body just wouldn't be any good, and he was super confident about it. He advised me to get a 5DSR, which IMO is a completely different camera. After some discussion we landed on the 5Diii, which haven't got what I'm looking for; it's a 4 year old camera, and missing a lot of tech. Going for $3200 where I live, it's a lot for this body when a 7Rii is to be had for $4K. Comparing these two there's no doubt who's on top.

OP, how are you getting along with the 7Rii? Have you got the MB-adapter as well as the DEO? Could you see you self using this camera full time as a main camera, ditching you Canon bodies?

A Sony A7RII isn't going to perform like a 5DIII, or the 5DsR. However, if you've happy with the performance of the 5DII then the A7RII with a Metabones adapter will be just fine.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,505 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 18, 2015 09:15 as a reply to  @ mannyboi's post |  #38

Personally I never trust any camera shop operators. I haven't met anyone yet who knew what they were talking. I tried Sony and it is awesome. Personally I would use Sony glass if available. Not sure why it is so hard to sell Canon and get Sony unless there is nothing equivalent available or too much money loss in transaction.

Fuji XT-1, 18-55mm
Sony A7rIV, , Tamron 28-200mm, Sigma 40mm f1.4 Art FE, Sony 85mm f1.8 FE, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art FE
Fuji GFX50s, 23mm f4, 32-64mm, 45mm f2.8, 110mm f2, 120mm f4 macro
Canon 24mm TSE-II, 85mm f1.2 L II, 90mm TSE-II Macro, 300mm f2.8 IS I

nekrosoft13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 18, 2015 16:00 |  #39
bannedPermanent ban

mannyboi wrote in post #17823385 (external link)

Hes full of *#*#*, that my take on it.

Right now I have the metabones, DEO is ordered but might take a while.

My 5DIII is waiting to be sold now, 7D I will keep for now, as a very rare occasion when I might need the Canon tracking AF for wildlife.

But other then Its all a7RII, and I would say AF performance of my lenses on A7RII is same like 5DIII, tracking with Canon glass is a bit lacking, but that fine.

Gear List

MFG
537 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 18, 2015 16:31 as a reply to  @ nekrosoft13's post |  #40

congrats. very nice

AIPP Accredited (Australia), WPJA
Professional Wedding, Newborn and Family Photographer
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/ScottGohPhotography (external link)
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au/blog (external link)
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au/babie​s-and-children/ (external link)

mannyboi
110 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Post edited over 5 years ago by mannyboi.

Dec 19, 2015 05:10 as a reply to  @ nekrosoft13's post |  #41

Looking forward to hearing if the DEO is any improvement over the MB! I've read that the cheaper adapters (FotoDiox, Commlite etc) have more issues with flare than the MB, and that's a factor to consider too.

Having been a camera salesman for many years myself I know to take every sellers word with a grain of salt. This guy had been shooting Sony for years though, and wasn't a avid Canon/Nikon guy as many sellers already are.

When it comes to tracking, there's only two or three times a year where I actually need tracking, so that wouldn't be an issue. I might just sell the 5Dii and get a second hand 7D as a backup/for these events where I need a servo af tracking. I saw this video though, which kind of spooked me, as pretty much ALL lenses seems to have problems and inconsistent results on his body. (external link) I'm simply not paying such an amount of money if I end up with gear that feels like it's constantly malfunctioning.

4:40 - EF70-200 2.8 IS I just can't focus at 180-200mm.
10:00 - a 100mm macro is just useless with AF.
11:50 - EF35 f/2 works great, but suddenly stops focusing.
15:40 - EF24-70 2.8 is having a hard time focusing.

None of the lenses testet are any of which I own, but it still proves that you can't pick up "any" Canon lens and be happy like many videos claim.

Having results like this video would really kill my vibe and be a vast hinderance in my workflow. I take it you have much better experiences, and are experiencing better results?

4̶0̶0̶D̶ | 4̶0̶D̶ | 1̶D̶ ̶M̶a̶r̶k̶ ̶I̶I̶I̶ | 5D Mark II | 5D Mark III | A-1 w/ FD 50 1.8 SC
EF17-40 f/4L - EF24-70 2.8LII - EF70-200 f/4L - EF50 f/1.4 - EF40 2.8 - Samyang 14 2.8

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
9,947 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

Dec 19, 2015 06:00 |  #42

mannyboi wrote in post #17824494 (external link)
Looking forward to hearing if the DEO is any improvement over the MB! I've read that the cheaper adapters (FotoDiox, Commlite etc) have more issues with flare than the MB, and that's a factor to consider too.

Having been a camera salesman for many years myself I know to take every sellers word with a grain of salt. This guy had been shooting Sony for years though, and wasn't a avid Canon/Nikon guy as many sellers already are.

When it comes to tracking, there's only two or three times a year where I actually need tracking, so that wouldn't be an issue. I might just sell the 5Dii and get a second hand 7D as a backup/for these events where I need a servo af tracking. I saw this video though, which kind of spooked me, as pretty much ALL lenses seems to have problems and inconsistent results on his body. (external link) I'm simply not paying such an amount of money if I end up with gear that feels like it's constantly malfunctioning.

4:40 - EF70-200 2.8 IS I just can't focus at 180-200mm.
10:00 - a 100mm macro is just useless with AF.
11:50 - EF35 f/2 works great, but suddenly stops focusing.
15:40 - EF24-70 2.8 is having a hard time focusing.

None of the lenses testet are any of which I own, but it still proves that you can't pick up "any" Canon lens and be happy like many videos claim.

Having results like this video would really kill my vibe and be a vast hinderance in my workflow. I take it you have much better experiences, and are experiencing better results?

The video is a bit dated. The latest firmware updates to the metabones adapters improves AF performance across the board....particularly with the older lenses that failed in the list above (they were practically useless prior to the update).

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀIV - α7ʀIII
Sigma 14-24 f2.8 ART - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sigma 35 f1.2 ART - Sony 35 1.8 - Sony/Zeiss 55 1.8 - Sony 85GM

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
9,947 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012
Post edited over 5 years ago by mystik610.

Dec 19, 2015 06:10 |  #43

bobbyz wrote in post #17823530 (external link)
Personally I never trust any camera shop operators. I haven't met anyone yet who knew what they were talking. I tried Sony and it is awesome. Personally I would use Sony glass if available. Not sure why it is so hard to sell Canon and get Sony unless there is nothing equivalent available or too much money loss in transaction.

Rule of thumb: never trust the 'opinion' of someone trying to sell you something.

And yeah I eventually transitioned my Canon lenses over to the Sony equivalents as this is the best way to really take advantage of the bodies. The Sony primes are very good optically, tracking performance with native lenses rivals the 5DIII (with greater AF accuracy to boot) and things like continuos eye focus are really valuable features.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀIV - α7ʀIII
Sigma 14-24 f2.8 ART - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sigma 35 f1.2 ART - Sony 35 1.8 - Sony/Zeiss 55 1.8 - Sony 85GM

mannyboi
110 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 21, 2015 14:43 |  #44

Went with a 5Diii for now, found a secondhand one at a very low price with 40k clicks and 5 batteries too. I'll wait it out a year or two and see how things fare, the 5Div might be interesting, as well as the successor of the a7Rii coming in a year or two. A thing that turned me away from the a7Rii is the massive price tag, and seeing how the value loss of say a a7Ri has been, it was a real turndown. I mean you could easily loose $1-2k in a year or two, and Canon bodies hold their value much better. Actually, with the price I got the 5Diii, I expect to be able to sell it in 2 years without any mentionable loss, even with a 5Div release in the works.

$4K is just too steep as of right now with the insecurities it could bring for my workflow, and the flaws in the camera/lens selection. Wifi tethering is a important feature for my style of shooting, and from what I've read it's is a solid battery drain in the a7Rii, so much that many users plainly avoid using it. The a7Rii just couldn't justify the 3x price tag from the 2nd hand 5Diii.

Still jealous of you who have made the switch though, maybe I'll take it off your hands when the next model is out ;)

nekrosoft13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 21, 2015 17:50 |  #45
bannedPermanent ban

i went from 5DIII to a7RII, i would have never go back to 5DIII ;)

at this point going back would be a cruel punishment.... that how much I like the a7RII

Gear List

sponsored links

10,138 views & 1 like for this thread
Canon Lenses on a7R II?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.