Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 02 Dec 2015 (Wednesday) 13:54
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Do you use back button focus?"
Yes
84.3%
No
14.1%
What is back button focus?
1.6%

185 voters, 185 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Back Button AF?

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,605 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Sep 14, 2016 00:41 |  #166

The key issue with BBF is that it is continuous when you want it to be and can be stopped when you don't want it. So when shooting a moving subject you keep the button pressed and track the subject. When shooting a stationary landscape you press to focus and then release the button and focus is locked.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,159 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 4 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Sep 14, 2016 16:11 |  #167

^ True!

and yet,..

The Key issue with BBF is that I can keep shooting without the camera trying to refocus when I don't want it to, but I can get right back to getting the camera to auto-focusing instantly. Sometimes even in fast action, I don't want the camera to keep trying to re-focus.

... and so on. :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

snerd
662 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 14, 2016 22:50 |  #168

That's the way I've always used it.

Dan ­ Marchant
5,605 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by Dan Marchant.

Sep 15, 2016 00:10 |  #169

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18128116 (external link)
^ True!

and yet,..

The Key issue with BBF is that I can keep shooting without the camera trying to refocus when I don't want it to, but I can get right back to getting the camera to auto-focusing instantly. Sometimes even in fast action, I don't want the camera to keep trying to re-focus.

I don't understand the "and yet". Your post just said exactly what mine did, while the "and yet" implies some difference which I'm not seeing.

Dan Marchant
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

twists ­ n ­ turns
180 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Apr 2016

Sep 17, 2016 07:15 |  #170

I experimented with this a little while ago, i liked it but ended up missing a couple of good shots, where the subject was out of focus. Think i might have had it on AF-C.
Im guessing it should be on AF-S yes lol?

TerryMiller
323 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 18, 2016 17:53 |  #171

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18127508 (external link)
The key issue with BBF is that it is continuous when you want it to be and can be stopped when you don't want it. So when shooting a moving subject you keep the button pressed and track the subject. When shooting a stationary landscape you press to focus and then release the button and focus is locked.

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18128116 (external link)
^ True!

and yet,..

... and so on. :)

I think the difference is that sometimes it's beneficial to not refocus on a moving subject. A bird landing traveling in a direction along the focus plane, for example. The camera will take images at maximum speed rather than trying to reaquire focus between shots since your finger's off the focus button.

my gear: T4i - EF-s 17-55, Ef-s 55-250 is stm, EF-S 10-22 usm, ef 100mm 2.8 macro

Dan ­ Marchant
5,605 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Sep 18, 2016 20:57 |  #172

TerryMiller wrote in post #18132232 (external link)
I think the difference is that sometimes it's beneficial to not refocus on a moving subject.

which was covered by my ....and can be stopped when you don't want it. comment.

Dan Marchant

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,159 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 18, 2016 22:17 |  #173

Sorry Dan, I was agreeing with you completely! I was just playing at rearranging the priorities. Sorry if it came off differently.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

the ­ hulk
"I am not that incredible nowadays"
253 posts
Joined Feb 2015

Sep 19, 2016 07:51 |  #174

Just set the back button AF and it works but my shutter button is still doing auto focus when pressed half way down. What am I doing wrong here?

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Sep 19, 2016 07:52 |  #175

the hulk wrote in post #18132794 (external link)
Just set the back button AF and it works but my shutter button is still doing auto focus when pressed half way down. What am I doing wrong here?

Change the settings for the front focus/shutter button. You can have the AF button enabled for multiple buttons, turning one on doesn't automatically turn others off. Kind of weird, but, eh, flexibility of settings is a good thing.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

the ­ hulk
"I am not that incredible nowadays"
253 posts
Joined Feb 2015

Sep 19, 2016 10:44 as a reply to  @ Luckless's post |  #176

Thanks!:-)

dhornick
823 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Sep 19, 2016 15:58 |  #177

I'm one who answered that it's confusing and rather difficult to use this function but am happy to say I'm a week into forcing myself to stick with it this time and so far so good.

Darrell
Moved from the world of Canon DSLR to Mirrorless - Sony A7RIII | Sony 24-240mm f/3.5 | Sony 100-400 f/4.5 GM | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | Sony 16-35 f/2.8 GM | Sony 70-200 f/4 G | Flickr (external link) | https://darrellhornick​.zenfolio.com/ (external link)

thc1979
526 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Sep 19, 2016 16:02 |  #178

The worst thing about BBF is picking up a camera that doesn't have it!

WaltA
Goldmember
3,868 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 19, 2016 16:05 |  #179

thc1979 wrote in post #18133440 (external link)
The worst thing about BBF is picking up a camera that doesn't have it!

Or giving your camera to someone to take a shot and forgetting to tell them.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,268 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Sep 19, 2016 18:54 |  #180

WaltA wrote in post #18133445 (external link)
Or giving your camera to someone to take a shot and forgetting to tell them.

I deliberately forget to tell them...I prefocus using BBF, preset the FL for desired framing, even preset exposure on Manual, and then hand them the camera with suggestion of what part of the background I would like them in capture while retaining us in the frame...they become nothing but an animated remote control.

It increases the chances of getting a desireable shot or two, rather than increased chances of having our heads bullseyed and nothing of the desired background in view!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

33,697 views & 114 likes for this thread
Back Button AF?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.