Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 30 Dec 2015 (Wednesday) 15:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7Dii resolution too good

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,246 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Dec 30, 2015 15:47 |  #1

I did not anticipate having this situation. I took some holiday photos of elderly people. The subjects are unlikely to appreciate the impressive detail. Their wrinkles are just a little too prominent. Any suggestions on how to handle this? I'm contemplating using a mild blur filter in post processing. I never had this problem with film. -?

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

sponsored links
nqjudo
Goldmember
2,858 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 30, 2015 15:52 |  #2

There are lots of tools you can use. Sometimes I like to brush on some minus clarity in Lightroom or in photoshop I duplicate the layer, heal out a lot of the wrinkles and then drop the opacity of that layer till I get something that looks natural but less wrinkly. This is one of the things that I don't really get when people start discussing which portrait lens is sharpest. We take a super sharp portrait and spend all kind of time in post making it look less sharp!! Good luck....

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,777 posts
Gallery: 1161 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 30, 2015 15:55 |  #3

Heya,

Use a soft lens and you won't have that issue. ;)

The resolution isn't too good. It's just the contrast and sharpness of the lens relative to the resolution is showing more detail than you think is flattering.

This is common in fashion portrait photography which is why they often soften the skin or paint it, because even those 22 year old models have facial blemish and don't want to see that in their profile photographs nor do magazine or ezine portfolios want that. So again, even using an old low resolution camera with a junk it lens heavily stopped with with good lighting will produce something too sharp and show skin flaw that needs post process correction for display for a flattering look.

You could just use a minor blur on them as a layer mask and blend it so it's not too intense, it will soften it up without losing detail.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,436 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Post edited over 2 years ago by PhotosGuy.

Dec 30, 2015 16:44 |  #4

They used to make soft focus lenses (external link) for portraits. Some were variable. Sometimes, on large format, (external link) we would do a "Grease Job." Take a look at post #5: Photos of soft focus filters? It works easier on small format because you can stop down & see what you're doing.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 30, 2015 16:46 |  #5

Next time use softer light. ;)

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,580 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by kirkt.

Dec 30, 2015 16:58 |  #6

Your subjects have features on their faces and skin that the lens and camera sensor recorded. If you want to go about changing their appearance to something more "flattering" there are all sorts of methods. Google "skin smoothing" or "skin retouching." Don't go overboard, be subtle.

kirk

Kirk
---

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,948 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by M_Six.

Dec 30, 2015 17:11 |  #7

Here's a Photoshop action I use. It works well for very subtle smoothing without destroying texture. It duplicates the image, applies the action, then puts up a mask. Paint over the skin to reveal the effects. Don't paint the eyes or the mouth or any substantial facial hair (like mustaches or beards). Skin only. Then you can toggle the new layer to view the effects.

http://bimmermail.com/​Export.atn (external link)

Mark J.
Gear

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,235 posts
Gallery: 186 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 30, 2015 17:22 |  #8

I guess we should know what program(s) Joe has at his disposal.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,777 posts
Gallery: 1161 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited over 2 years ago by MalVeauX. (3 edits in all)

Dec 30, 2015 17:23 |  #9

M_Six wrote in post #17838091 (external link)
Here's a Photoshop action I use. It works well for very subtle smoothing without destroying texture. It duplicates the image, applies the action, then puts up a mask. Paint over the skin to reveal the effects. Don't paint the eyes or the mouth or any substantial facial hair (like mustaches or beards). Skin only. Then you can toggle the new layer to view the effects.

http://bimmermail.com/​Export.atn (external link)

Interesting action, I'm interested in trying it actually.

I opened it and applied it in CS5 to a JPG just to see how it looks on some skin. I can't seem to paint it on though, and it's probably user error... I tried paintbrush with white/black and eraser, no changes. Any tips?

Edit: Nevermind, got it working. :) Works nicely too. Not too over the top, soft enough to help, but not so soft that it looks totally photoshopped unless looked at 1:1. But at full view, nice touch for a dressed portrait. After painting I just adjusted to 80% opacity for a smoother transition and it seems to do quite nice on my salty mug.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,948 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 30, 2015 17:36 |  #10

MalVeauX wrote in post #17838110 (external link)
Interesting action, I'm interested in trying it actually.

I opened it and applied it in CS5 to a JPG just to see how it looks on some skin. I can't seem to paint it on though, and it's probably user error... I tried paintbrush with white/black and eraser, no changes. Any tips?

Edit: Nevermind, got it working. :) Works nicely too. Not too over the top, soft enough to help, but not so soft that it looks totally photoshopped unless looked at 1:1. But at full view, nice touch for a dressed portrait. After painting I just adjusted to 80% opacity for a smoother transition and it seems to do quite nice on my salty mug.

Very best,

Yeah, I'm occasionally not thrilled with the output and adjust opacity accordingly. It really depends on the skin and lighting and so on. Works better on some images than others. It works well to even out skin tones in harsh lighting, too. It's adapted from a Kelby tutorial, if I recall correctly.

Mark J.
Gear

joedlh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,246 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Dec 31, 2015 10:07 |  #11

Good feedback. I was mostly interested in determining if I was being too self-critical. Now I have the sense that skin smoothing is part of the standard palette. Using softer light is an option. But it's not always an option. Shooting a non-profit fundraiser with a few assistants carrying around light modifiers would be, well, problematical.

Thanks all.

Someone asked... I use Photoshop CS5 and DPP for the 7Dii raws. Soon Capture One Pro for raws (when the budget allows).

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

aviography
128 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 31, 2015 20:56 |  #12

A long time ago I read that Bob Guccione, who publishes Penthouse magazine and is the chief photographer, uses an 8x10 large format view camera, but then puts a piece of glass smeared with thin coat of Vaseline in front of the lens to create the softening effect more desirable for the magazine.

I always chuckle about this story of him using a large format camera and lens, only to artificially soften the results. ;-)a

Unwavering Canon shooter for the last 35 years.

PhotosGuy
75,436 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Dec 31, 2015 21:07 |  #13

aviography wrote in post #17839614 (external link)
A long time ago...I always chuckle about this story of him using a large format camera and lens, only to artificially soften the results. ;-)a

"A long time ago..." besides using a large sheet of film, there were other considerations, some of which we can now do with PS. When you have some time, Google view camera swings and tilts

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,561 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 04, 2016 20:48 |  #14

Nik makes some great filters, one is a glamour filter, or a soften skin filter.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

2,161 views & 1 like for this thread
7Dii resolution too good
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.