Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Jan 2016 (Friday) 20:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sold my 1D Mark IV.....Couple thoughts.

Honey ­ Monster
171 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 14, 2016 09:23 |  #16

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17852250 (external link)
I did the same thing, went to a 5d3 from a 1d4, and after a couple of seasons in sports, the 5d3 has done everything as well as the 1d4, and better regarding iso. I have now added a 7d2 to the mix.

I too have the 5d3 and the 7d2. I bought the 5 to supplement my 7d1, mainly to get better quality on landscapes. I then sold the 7d and bought a 7d2. I suspect that GAS intervened, as the majority of my shooting is now birds and wildlife and the 7d2 has become the go to body due to the perceived effective extra reach and the 5d3 gets less use. I probably could have saved some money and not bought the 5d3. The Sigma 120 - 300 f/2.8 + TCs might then have been a 500 or 600 f/4 or 200 - 400. As I almost almost always have the 2x installed with the with the Sigma this might have been the better option.
Having said that, the AF and noise profile for the 5d3 were much better than the 7D1 and having 2 bodies allows me to have both long and wide lenses in play. Plus, I also have a backup body.

I don't think I would swap my 2 bodies for a single 1 series now, however the 1D4 might have been a good option for me a couple of years ago. My next purchase is likely to be lens rather than body, if I can persuade the better half that it is a good idea. Plenty of jewellery might help. (As she makes jewellery as a hobby, this isn't as expensive as it might sound, although I am sure a few pearls or amethysts is worth a 600 f/4 ߙ.

This has been a much much longer and more rambling post than I intended, probably due to the (now empty) bottle of Australian red on the table. Since my company sent me from Scotland to Australia for a trip I thought it was only fair.

koala ­ yummies
734 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 14, 2016 14:14 |  #17

skid00skid00 wrote in post #17851195 (external link)
I went from a 1Ds to the 5D3. It's certainly *easier* to mess up AF settings on the newer cameras. I think that's a HUGE reason for so many 7dii posts.

This. So many are taking these cameras out of the box and expecting every single shot to be perfect in challenging conditions that they won't regularly be shooting in and when they don't get what they expect to be a 100% perfect AF system that works every single time without a single miss, ever, they go and mess with all the numerous new settings.

Even the old 1D4 being discussed here has a bunch of AF adjustment settings (tracking speed, 1st/2nd image tracking/shutter release priority, AF expansion), I haven't needed to change one on either of my 2 1D4s and haven't had any issues or complaints from late-hours photojournalism to motor-sport with slow AF lens-teleconvertor combinations but I see many new 1D4 adopters, thanks to its now low second hand price, picking up the camera and immediately suspecting something wrong with it when it doesn't perform 100% flawlessly under candle-light and then changing all the settings without knowing what they do or under what conditions one would actually need to change them.

Getting back to the original post, no plans of letting my 1D4s go, I would love to try a 5D3 or any of the newer bodies but I'll be keeping my 1D4s until they are paperweights especially at their current selling price. Might even pick up a third.

flickr (external link)

Nick5
Goldmember
2,961 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 16, 2016 11:00 |  #18

Nukehed wrote in post #17851019 (external link)
Isn't that what all of this is about? How many posts discuss gear and the fact that better gear does not guarantee better photos? If you can get the shots you want or need and the "clients" are happy, then snap away baby. Put all this GAS behind you and enjoy taking pictures.

What fun is Photography without GAS..........Pull my finger!...............

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

ebiggs
638 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 11, 2018 11:56 as a reply to  @ post 17852050 |  #19

I got a "deal I couldn't refuse" and bought a ESO 1Dx. The 1D Mk IV will stay, however. The 1Dx does fix one problem that I had with the 1Ds Mk III and that is high ISO.

I sold the 1Ds3 quite easily. Makes you wonder?

G1x, EOS 1Dx, EOS 1D Mk IV, ef 8-15mm f4L,
ef 16-35mm f2.8L II, ef 24-70mm f2.8L II, ef 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,
Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sport
*** PS 6, ACR 9.3, Lightroom 6.5 ***

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

4,648 views & 4 likes for this thread
Sold my 1D Mark IV.....Couple thoughts.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.