Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 09 Jan 2016 (Saturday) 17:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photography during national anthem

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,395 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 26, 2016 06:41 as a reply to  @ post 17872919 |  #16

So when the camera crew from CBS films the national anthem at the start of the Super Bowl, are you offended that they are working instead of standing at attention? Should they just always cut to commercial, or maybe a test pattern?

Because to me that is pretty much the same thing.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

sponsored links
BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014
Post edited over 2 years ago by BlakeC.

Jan 26, 2016 06:51 |  #17

JeffreyG wrote in post #17873340 (external link)
So when the camera crew from CBS films the national anthem at the start of the Super Bowl, are you offended that they are working instead of standing at attention? Should they just always cut to commercial, or maybe a test pattern?

EXACTLY what I came here to say, but you beat me to it!

Just go ahead and do it. Something you do will always offend someone. The people who are offended by you shooting (doing your job) during the National Anthem are the type of people who are easily offended anyway.

Just go ahead and keep shooting. If someone complains to you, just tell them this is what you are paid to do. If you are really worried about it, mention it to the people who are paying for your photos and see what they want you to do.

The fact that you are even worried about it tells me that you are not trying to disrespect our vets or our country.

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,801 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Jan 26, 2016 07:03 |  #18

ask them what they think about the NFL TV crews who work at every game, every sunday, to bring the national anthem to the people at home. MLB? NBA? NCAA? …

like them, you are doing your job. I'm not suggesting you shouldn't be discreet but it seems you are doing your best to not be running up and down the sidelines during the presentation.

i suspect some folks that get riled up about this also say everyone should respect the "day of rest" yet are happy to go eat at the Golden Corral after church, never giving a single thought to the people at work that day.

edit: oops, didn't read the thread before posting. oh well, guess some of us are on the same page.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

i_am_cdn
258 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by i_am_cdn.

Jan 26, 2016 13:01 |  #19

There are many times my shot list includes certain photos that happen during a National Anthem:
- shots of color party
- shots of anthem singer
- shots of large flag and those holding it
- shots of players during anthem

It is almost a given that every event i do, that during the anthem(s) I am required to walk around the field to get the shots on my list and do the job I am paid to do.

Personally I don't care if someone is offended, because I am 100% sure that no matter what you or I do at any given point in our lives there will be someone who is offended :)

There are so many more important things in life to be concerned about.

Douglas Portz Photography
www.portz.ca (external link)
www.winnipegsportsteam​photos.com (external link)
www.winnipegsportsphot​os.com (external link)
www.winnipegeventphoto​s.com (external link)

DGStinner
Goldmember
1,016 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Jan 26, 2016 13:19 |  #20

JeffreyG wrote in post #17873340 (external link)

The big cameras used for television can be operated with one hand, leaving the other one free to be placed over the heart during the national anthem.

Dave Stinner
Gripped 7DII | 6DII
EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Rokinon 8mm | Sigma 150-600 | EF 24-105mm f/4L
flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,370 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 26, 2016 13:39 |  #21

You're being paid to record the event, does a doctor stop working during the national anthem, what about taxi drivers, do they all stop their cars if the anthem is on the radio? I agree with being discrete about it, but if someone challenges you, just point out you're there to record the event, that IS your job, and how can you record how proud and patriotic the teams are, if you don't take their picture when they're doing it? Some people just like being offended, go out of their way to find offence, but there clearly isn't any here, you're not exactly shouting 'work it baby! Yeahh!!', well, I assume you're not....

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,801 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 26, 2016 13:57 |  #22

i_am_cdn wrote in post #17873746 (external link)
Personally I don't care if someone is offended, because I am 100% sure that no matter what you or I do at any given point in our lives there will be someone who is offended :)

bingo.

DGStinner wrote in post #17873765 (external link)
The big cameras used for television can be operated with one hand, leaving the other one free to be placed over the heart during the national anthem.

this is the first video i googled for "NFL national anthem" I see maybe one shot that looks like it came from something other than a handheld/shoulder camera.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Zivnuska
Goldmember
3,571 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 26, 2016 15:58 |  #23

As a veteran, I do not find taking photos during the national anthem disrespectful.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i137.photobucke​t.com …ivnuska/_D3E986​4-Edit.jpg (external link)

www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com/blog (external link) = My Blog
Gear List
www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com (external link)

"It's not tight until you see the color of the irides."

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,273 posts
Gallery: 186 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 26, 2016 16:20 |  #24

As a veteran, I don't think a veteran's opinion outweighs anyone else's on this topic (assuming they are American citizens).

I also don't find it disrespectful if done respectfully ;)

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

abruckse
497 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 28, 2016 15:30 |  #25

DGStinner wrote in post #17873765 (external link)

When I read this I got this ridiculous picture in my head of a steadicam guy running around with his hand on his heart.

Seriously though, for any non-stationary camera, it is ridiculous to expect them to operate one-handed during the national anthem. In my eyes, a half-hearted, inattentive act in response to the national anthem is worse than just focusing on your job, but that's just me. Would I think any less of someone doing that? Absolutely not... freedom of expression is part of what makes this country great after all.

Andrew
www.andrewbruckse.com (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,258 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 28, 2016 17:22 |  #26

How many people are up running around at concession stands or to the toilet before the anthem starts. Do they all stop in their tracks, snap to attention and salute the flag when it starts. I have seen some do so, but for the most part, No.

The next time someone comments, tell them that you're a communist and continue doing the job you were hired to do, without missing a beat.

flickr (external link)

highyellow1
69 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 14, 2016 11:05 |  #27

As a current active duty person I do not find it disrespectful if its conducted as discretely as possible and you have an assignment. I can tell you that during official ceremonies (retirement, awards, etc) when we are both standing at attention and the national anthem is being played the person covering the event is still taking photos. If they get their shot then they come to attention as well.

As said already, we can't have some the awesome views of the emotional impact of that song if everyone is still and not shooting.

sponsored links

9,178 views & 15 likes for this thread
Photography during national anthem
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.