Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 11 Jan 2016 (Monday) 12:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Those that are Backpackers how do you pack your gear?

marsh9077
36 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Jan 11, 2016 12:15 |  #1

So do a lot of traveling and backpacking, also spend a lot of time in the outdoors. Currently I just stuff the camera in my pack wrapped in a shirt or something and call it good. I cant really use a purpose built camera bag or backpack as there all not practical for what I do especially if have gear for a multi day trip (tent, sleeping bag, stove, food, water clothes, etc) you need a real pack. I have several Arcteryx and Mammut packs of various sizes depending on the trip I am taking that I use.

Those that live a similar life style how do you pack your camera?

sponsored links
sidknee
780 posts
Gallery: 451 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 11, 2016 14:04 |  #2

I do the same as you generally, though I always tend to carry my camera in my hand or if that's impractical on a belt clip on my rucksack waist belt. I would like a decent rucksack that could take a camera with lens and 2 other lens that still has enough room to act as a decent daysack.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,088 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 11, 2016 14:14 |  #3

I think a lot depends on how you define backpacking and how much weight you can carry. Day trip? Overnight? Several days? Week or more? Alone? Partner? Group? Each is going to require a different strategy. I have a medium sized Lowpro shoulder bag I modified that can clip to the frame of my pack. It also clips to the handle bard of my bike as well. It adds weight but it's easy to get to.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

timd35
154 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 11, 2016 14:48 |  #4

When I am on a multi-day trip I usually have two lenses and my 5d3. I use a lowepro toploader with a lens pouch attached to the toploader for the second lens. I just attach the toploader corners to my backpack shoulder straps with carabiner clips. I then just use another carabiner clip on the bottom of the toploader to my pack belt to keep the camera back from swinging while I hike.

With this setup I have quick access to the camera. I can easily disconnect one carabiner from my shoulderstrap when taking my backpack off.

'Imagination is more important than knowledge.'
—Albert Einstein
http://timdahlphotogra​phy.com

nqjudo
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 11, 2016 15:06 |  #5

Just for easy access I usually end up carrying my larger pack in the back and a smaller photo gear pack in the front.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

Bcaps
I was a little buzzed when I took this
780 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Best ofs: 16
Joined Jun 2003
Post edited over 2 years ago by Bcaps.

Jan 11, 2016 16:29 |  #6

I keep my camera, lenses, and assorted doodads in an F-Stop ICU (external link) in my 75L backpack (in a drybag). I can fit my D810, 14-24 (with ginormous Fotodiox filter holder), 24-70 and 700-200 f/4 in a medium Pro ICU (which I don't think they make any more).

- Dave | flickr (external link)
Nikon D810
14-24mm f/2.8 | 16-35mm F/4 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/4 | Sigma 150-600mm

sidknee
780 posts
Gallery: 451 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 11, 2016 17:26 |  #7

Bcaps wrote in post #17854232 (external link)
I keep my camera, lenses, and assorted doodads in an F-Stop ICU (external link) in my 75L backpack (in a drybag). I can fit my D810, 14-24 (with ginormous Fotodiox filter holder), 24-70 and 700-200 f/4 in a medium Pro ICU (which I don't think they make any more).

I happened across the fstopgear site earlier when my interest was piqued again by this thread, that looks like quite a reasonable solution. You're right medium shallow is the only option in that size now.

marsh9077
THREAD ­ STARTER
36 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Jan 11, 2016 22:46 |  #8

Bcaps thanks for the link those look like the closest thing to what might work for me however as you stated does not look like they have a medium size on there site which is too bad because seems like it would be the perfect size. But I am also concerned that it's just going to be a big box that takes up my whole pack.

As other have said maybe the easiest is just to carry a separate camera pack strapped to the outside or on your chest.

Nethawked
791 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014

Jan 13, 2016 16:41 |  #9

I do the same on serious backpacking trips, although it's been a couple of years. Wrap body & lens in a towel and put it in the top of my pack, with a lens or two extra in Lowepro padded cases. A couple of polarizers, blower and cleaning cloth get stuffed somewhere too. On a shoulder strap I have a Capture Pro, while walking this is where the camera stays unless things get hairy, and sometimes the lowepro cases are attached to the pack's belt.

I tried alternate packs, belt pack, chest pack. I don't need the extra discomfort.

By the way, my favorite backcountry pack is Clik Elite Contrejour 35. Primarily a photographer's backpack there is plenty of room for additional gear for a couple of days. I've been on overnights and two-nighters several times with it. It's a well-made, very comfortable pack that sticks to your body. I've downhill & xcountry skiied, mountain biked, climbed and hiked with it and feel just as home with it as I do my Gregory & Osprey backpacks.

NWPhil
436 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 14, 2016 13:59 |  #10

marsh9077 wrote in post #17854679 (external link)
Bcaps thanks for the link those look like the closest thing to what might work for me however as you stated does not look like they have a medium size on there site which is too bad because seems like it would be the perfect size. But I am also concerned that it's just going to be a big box that takes up my whole pack.

As other have said maybe the easiest is just to carry a separate camera pack strapped to the outside or on your chest.

Take a look on FleaBay:
http://www.ebay.com …%3Dpp%26sd%3D29​1654978424 (external link)

not as ...well finished as the F-Stop ICU, but neither as expensive, while dimensions are very similar

On long day hikes, I carry an ICU or similar, but for backpacking, lenses and related items for inside individual pouches or/and waterproof bags - it becomes easier to reach and distribute weight inside the pack, versus a single unit. Unless it's a basecamp reach - then it's ok to carry an ICU, as I will have a small day pack for it
Camera wise, I have glide strap that attaches to D-clips on the backpack - if it rains or have to put the camera away,, it goes inside the bag, as top item inside a WP bag

NWPhil
Editing Image OK
GEAR

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,687 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by gremlin75.

Jan 14, 2016 18:35 |  #11

How much camera gear do you carry?

While backpacking (multi day trips) I carry a body (60d) and two lenses.

If the weather is bad, I'm doing a water crossing, or I'm heading to bed I will put the camera with lens attached and spare lens into a small dry sack. I will wrap the spare lens with a shirt but the camera does not get wrapped. Space is tight in my packs as I am going lighter and lighter every year (currently looking to down size the camer gear) so thing don't move around enough to damage anything. So if I didn't have a second lens I would not wrap anything. I use a sea to summit ultra-sil dry sack. They are nice and light but, like most ul items, be carful with them as durability can be an issue.

If the weather is good I will leave my camera attached to the outside of the pack via a capture clip from peak designs. Seriously, if you backpack and like to have your camera at hand check it out. Made by a backpacker for backpackers......they just now make a ton of other stuff too. Even in light rain I'll leave it attached as my rain gear is just a poncho that covers me and my pack. I have ever used the capture clip on my PFD (aka life jacket) will kayaking.....though the camera doesn't stay attached constantly like with backpacking. For kayaking it's just to hold the camera while I make quick paddle stokes to maneuver.

Here is the dry sack I use:
http://www.seatosummit​.com …+Sack&o1=1&o2=1​&o3=282-22 (external link)

And here is the capture clip: (I still use the original version)
https://www.peakdesign​.com/product/clips/ (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,826 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 14, 2016 19:29 |  #12

i use a lowpro toploader with the straps to attach it to my chest...allows me to carry my 70D, 10-20mm, 35f2, and a 55-250...i pack anything else in the bag...last time i brought a mefoto day trip tripod, and a ioptron star tracker

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

NWPhil
436 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 14, 2016 21:26 |  #13

gremlin75 wrote in post #17858477 (external link)

If the weather is bad, I'm doing a water crossing, or I'm heading to bed I will put the camera with lens attached and spare lens into a small dry sack. I will wrap the spare lens with a shirt but the camera does not get wrapped. Space is tight in my packs as I am going lighter and lighter every year (currently looking to down size the camer gear) so thing don't move around enough to damage anything. So if I didn't have a second lens I would not wrap anything. I use a sea to summit ultra-sil dry sack. They are nice and light but, like most ul items, be carful with them as durability can be an issue.

If the weather is good I will leave my camera attached to the outside of the pack via a capture clip from peak designs. Seriously, if you backpack and like to have your camera at hand check it out. Made by a backpacker for backpackers......they just now make a ton of other stuff too. Even in light rain I'll leave it attached as my rain gear is just a poncho that covers me and my pack. I have ever used the capture clip on my PFD (aka life jacket) will kayaking.....though the camera doesn't stay attached constantly like with backpacking. For kayaking it's just to hold the camera while I make quick paddle stokes to maneuver.

unfortunately, the clip does not work well with full size bodies i.e. a 1Dx and a 24-105mm for instance - yes, I tried :(
neoprene wraps to a better job than a T-shirt - superlight and dual duty as they provide a (tiny) bit of cushion
I have a sizeable collection of dry-sacks, and they are indeed doing multi-tasking duties

NWPhil
Editing Image OK
GEAR

marsh9077
THREAD ­ STARTER
36 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Jan 14, 2016 22:27 |  #14

gremlin75 wrote in post #17858477 (external link)

I do the same, 1 body and 2 lenses, and I do the same with the dry bag, if I know its going to be a lot or rain ill throw it all in an NRS dry bag with some shirts or something for extra padding.

Thanks for the info on the clip I have never seen those be for. I watched a couple of the videos on there website and it looks like a very neat product. I have never used it or seen it in person but just from the videos I am a little leery. I only have L series lens and we all know Canon does not just give those away so I would really struggle clipping a lens or my whole camera with a 70-200 2.8 II (AKA a really expensive brick) to that little tiny thing and just let it dangle around while hiking. Just seems scary to me.

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,687 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by gremlin75. (2 edits in all)

Jan 15, 2016 14:51 as a reply to  @ marsh9077's post |  #15

You'd be surprised at how strong the clip actually is. I also use the capture clip on my messenger bag and will regularly have my camera with 50-150mm f2.8 OS (same size as a 70-200 f2.8 but a couple ounces lighter) attached to it. On the messenger bag the camera has more of a chance of getting knocked around then in my pack.

Basically it's just an arcs-Swiss tripod plate (I think they also have a plate that works with manfrotto) that slides in to the clip. Just as secure as putting your camera on a tripod, only no tipping hazard......well unless you trip ;). The capture pro actually have a screw hole so the whole clip can be attached to a tripod.

The only way to get it out i.e. Via the top and there is a push button lock you must release first. There is also a screw down lock for extra piece of mind.

Forget the videos on their site, they are just trying to sell you something. Check out some reviews on it elsewhere. I've used my capture clip extensively for years now and never had an issue (used it with a 60D with 18-35, 50-150, 11-16, 50, 85, and 60). Used it backpacking, kayaking, hiking (day hikes), biking (bike touring not mountain), and just normal use with my messenger bag and photo packs. I'll eventually buy a newer version by but my original one is still going strong.

DreDaze's idea of the lowepro top loader is also a great way to have the camera on your chest ready to go as well. Clik Elite also makes a top loading chest pack for backpacking. They even have their own rain covers. They might give you the extra piece of mind if the capture clip isn't for you.

Edit: ok two thing.

1. I just went to clik's site and it seems they do not make the chest pack any more. Though B&H still does have the large one in stock for an big discount. http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …to_SLR_Chest_Ca​rrier.html (external link)

Really hope Clik isn't going under. They make very nice bags!

2. I also forgot that Clik makes camera wraps as well. Good to wrap cameras and lenses in to shove in a bag

sponsored links

4,032 views & 1 like for this thread
Those that are Backpackers how do you pack your gear?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.