Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 24 Jan 2016 (Sunday) 22:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need help choosing a new laptop

HuskyKMA
"Now what?"
1,749 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 24, 2016 22:20 |  #1

Alright guys, my current laptop is almost dead (seriously, the screen is falling off as I type this). Also, my desktop is 9 years old. So I'm thinking about replacing both with a top of the line new laptop. Plan would be to have that laptop for on-the-go or sitting on the couch use, then have a docking station with larger monitors, keyboard and mouse in the office for use at home as the desktop replacement side of things.

Requirements:

• 15.6" display
  • Thin and lightweight
  • Metal construction
  • Good battery life
  • Backlit keyboard
  • Multiple USB 3.0 ports, USB 3.1 Type-C, HDMI
  • SD card reader
  • Minimum 500 GB SSD
  • Windows 10, no fruit
  • Budget $1,500

Uses would be everyday stuff like the web and videos, some gaming, and of course photo editing. Maybe some light video editing as well.

Right now I'm looking at the ASUS ZenBook Pro UX501VW (external link). Anyone have any thoughts on the ASUS ZenBook line? What other brands and/or specific notebooks would you recommend? I've also looked a little at the Dell XPS 15 lineup, any thoughts on them?

Besides specific brands/models, anything else to look for when choosing?

Thanks!

Canon 40D w/ BG-E2N Grip| 400mm f/5.6L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | Gitzo GT3541LS w/ RRS BH-55

sponsored links
Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Jan 25, 2016 11:24 |  #2

HuskyKMA wrote in post #17871532 (external link)
Alright guys, my current laptop is almost dead (seriously, the screen is falling off as I type this). Also, my desktop is 9 years old. So I'm thinking about replacing both with a top of the line new laptop. Plan would be to have that laptop for on-the-go or sitting on the couch use, then have a docking station with larger monitors, keyboard and mouse in the office for use at home as the desktop replacement side of things.

Requirements:
  • 15.6" display
  • Thin and lightweight
  • Metal construction
  • Good battery life
  • Backlit keyboard
  • Multiple USB 3.0 ports, USB 3.1 Type-C, HDMI
  • SD card reader
  • Minimum 500 GB SSD
  • Windows 10, no fruit
  • Budget $1,500

Uses would be everyday stuff like the web and videos, some gaming, and of course photo editing. Maybe some light video editing as well.

Right now I'm looking at the ASUS ZenBook Pro UX501VW (external link). Anyone have any thoughts on the ASUS ZenBook line? What other brands and/or specific notebooks would you recommend? I've also looked a little at the Dell XPS 15 lineup, any thoughts on them?

Besides specific brands/models, anything else to look for when choosing?

Thanks!

My brother in law just got a dream like Hp laptop a gold special edition really heavy duty metal casing super slim touch screen as well and the screen rotates around the back to stand up for presentations, or fold right over so its like a tablet.
Gotta say I agree with him when he said it looked like jewellery and has a retina style screen in glass. His is i7 - with an sssd disc.
No time to check model number . If Imwas buying a laptop I would spend a week trying to find one like that they are DIVINE! Cost him £700??
Maybe speceed up could be useful.
Seriously gorgeous. It also has a retina type screen.

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

tim
Light Bringer
50,981 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 25, 2016 13:58 |  #3

I rate Asus as one of the best laptop makers, got a cheaper model for my wife, it works well. That one is $1449 at Amazon (external link), a total steal for that level of performance, get it!

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,375 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 25, 2016 14:29 |  #4

Avoid HP. You've been warned.

+1 regarding Asus.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,807 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Jan 25, 2016 14:36 |  #5

Does anyone today (other than Dell and ASUS) offer a laptop with SSD installed (in lieu of HD or hybrid drive)?!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,271 posts
Joined May 2003

Jan 25, 2016 15:18 |  #6

Wilt wrote in post #17872342 (external link)
Does anyone today (other than Dell and ASUS) offer a laptop with SSD installed (in lieu of HD or hybrid drive)?!

At least Lenova does. The ThinkPad X1 Carbon comes with up to a 512 GB SSD.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,947 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 3 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Jan 25, 2016 15:31 |  #7

Lenova indeed, funny, I thought they were more common?
My Lenova which is a bit of an ultra light has a 256GB SSD which is "soldered on" due to the ultra light aspect, so no way to upgrade.

Macbook pro sounds a lot like the OP's description too, but I assume you are looking at windows?

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

-dave-m-
492 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 25, 2016 16:40 |  #8

Wilt wrote in post #17872342 (external link)

MSI offer laptops with HDD only, SSD only and SSD+HDD.

5D MkII Gripped | 7D MkII Gripped | 200 f/2.8L | 17-40 f/4L | Σ 24-105 OS f/4 Art | Σ 50 f/1.4 Art | Σ 150-600 OS f/5-6.3 C | 430EX II

alexf
153 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 26, 2016 12:18 as a reply to  @ texkam's post |  #9

Whys that? All I've read recently is how bad asus customer service is and poor build quality. HP get much better press.
I was just about to buy a high end asus laptop but changed my mind to HP, until I read your post!

ALexF

Canon 20d, 40d, Canon 400mm L F5.6, Canon 70-200 L IS 2.8, Canon 17-85 IS, 1.4ex, Sigma macro 105 dg, 580 ex, Gitzo GT3530s, Markins M20 head and more;)
http://www.alexfrs.blo​gspot.com/ (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,807 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by Wilt.

Jan 26, 2016 13:07 |  #10

alexf wrote in post #17873690 (external link)
Whys that? All I've read recently is how bad asus customer service is and poor build quality. HP get much better press.
I was just about to buy a high end asus laptop but changed my mind to HP, until I read your post!

I agree that I'd like to hear explicit reasons why NOT HP. I have HP desktop that I have gotten terrific support for over the years. HD crashed, HP immediately shipped a replacement, with installation instructions and a return shipment box for the old HD. On line support and diagnostics have helped to ensure machine is in top running condition, both hardware- and software-wise. A few years ago I purchased an HP ultralight for international business travel, and it has been reliable and trouble free. So if HP has gone downhill, I'd like to understand why, before my next PC update decision.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

tim
Light Bringer
50,981 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 26, 2016 15:05 |  #11

Pick any brand of computer, someone will have a horror story. It's probably best to go by some kind of a survey of brand reliability. Like this one (external link), which puts Apple and Asus up top, though this one (external link) puts Asus near the bottom, and this one (external link) puts them #3.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,271 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited over 3 years ago by John from PA.

Jan 26, 2016 15:34 |  #12

tim wrote in post #17873942 (external link)
and this one (external link) puts them #3.

Interesting to note that the link you quoted (I deleted two) also puts Toshiba in the #2 slot. The link is based on Consumer Report information and although I don't necessarily buy based totally on CR, I do in general find the reliability data they publish worthwhile. One has to be careful however that the data being referenced is relatively recent and not several years old.

Having about 100 people report to me that used laptops I find that problem laptops are often caused by problem people. My people use a great deal of instrumentation in their work and the people who have frequent issues with the instrumentation are usually those having a high incidence of issues with their PC's. So sometimes I think the reliability of a product is due in large part to how it might be handled when transported and used.

Last thing, on HP laptops, has anyone else observed that HP power supplies are sold virtually every week in the Best Buy sales circular? Do the power supplies have less than stellar reliability? If I need a power supply for either of my Dell's, I have to order them, but none have ever failed, perhaps in having a total of about 10 Dell's personally. So why can I go pick up and HP at several local retailers?

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 26, 2016 16:25 |  #13

John from PA wrote in post #17873981 (external link)
Last thing, on HP laptops, has anyone else observed that HP power supplies are sold virtually every week in the Best Buy sales circular? Do the power supplies have less than stellar reliability? If I need a power supply for either of my Dell's, I have to order them, but none have ever failed, perhaps in having a total of about 10 Dell's personally. So why can I go pick up and HP at several local retailers?

I have a box of about a dozen power supplies from HP computers right behind me at work and probably a good 2-3 more dozen in our storage room. When we replace the laptops or USFF desktops, some of the techs just leave the previous power brick in it's place to minimize rewiring. I can't recall having a power brick go bad in the last 4-5 years we have been with HP.

Maybe HP allows their power supplies to be resold at BB. Also Dell has had multiple types of power supplies in the few years I worked with them so that could also be another factor. The HP laptops and the USFF have the same plugs but only difference is wattage so I can use a laptop on any of the bricks we have (laptop or USFF PC ones) so BB can sell one and HP can consider it a good replacement for a good chunk of models out there with just one plug type.

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

Dave ­ R.
275 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 27, 2016 05:52 |  #14

tim wrote in post #17873942 (external link)
Pick any brand of computer, someone will have a horror story. It's probably best to go by some kind of a survey of brand reliability. Like this one (external link), which puts Apple and Asus up top, though this one (external link) puts Asus near the bottom, and this one (external link) puts them #3.

What he said. Take the plunge on any of them and you either get a dude or a jewel. IMHO your odds of getting a great machine are increased when you purchase apple. My laptop is an early 2011 and my desktop is a 2009 and both still work flawlessly. I've been thinking about putting a SSD in the laptop but not because it is needed due to a problem. Just wanting to see the performance increase I've heard about. My desktop had a card go out that cost me under $100.00 to replace. My cost of ownership has been reduced significantly. For me I was spending way more on PC having to repair or upgrade so often.YMMV but bottom line if a change of OS isn't desired go with what you know and good luck.

rdp330ci
134 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 08, 2016 19:37 |  #15

Lenovo P50 can be bought with a 4K screen color calibrated at the factory.

Canon 5D Mk3, Sigma Art 35mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8, Canon 70-200 F4 L IS, Super Takumar 300 F4, Canon 100mm macro
rdp3photography
www.robertpettus.com (external link)

sponsored links

4,630 views & 3 likes for this thread
Need help choosing a new laptop
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.